• Register
  • Help

Topic: USB 2.0 drive for audio?

Share/Bookmark

USB 2.0 drive for audio?

Sorry it\'s a little off topic but I\'m going crazy with this. I\'ve been trying to record samples to an external USB drive (actually an ADS USB 2.0 drive enclosure with a Seagate in it, connected to my laptop). Everything seems fine but I\'m getting random glitches in the recorded audio and a lot of damaged samples. The laptop\'s internal disk records fine. Equipment summary: Toshiba 6100 laptop, Winx XP, IO Gear USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, Echo Mona laptop sound card, recording with Vegas Video software. Any suggestions? Thanks! - Doug

Re: USB 2.0 drive for audio?

Hi Doug, its a bit of a stretch but perhaps check in the BIOS settings that USB 2 is enabled. It may be that your drive is running in standard usb mode. On my motherboard there is both USB and USB 2.0; both can be enabled independantly of each other.

You probably already know but USB 2.0 is up to 40 times faster than the original USB 1.1. Therefore the throughput for recording audio will be much more efficient.

Regards, Scott.

Thanks, Scott. My Toshiba has only USB 1.1 built in, which is why I added the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card. However, I have verified that the glitching problem is there regardless of which ports I use (although disk access is hugely quicker with USB 2.0). My Toshiba doesn\'t seem to offer any meaningful BIOS settings to change.

Any other ideas?

I realize you\'re already into a USB solution but you may be interested in the new lacie drives. They are Firewire 800 models. You can get a PCMCIA card to give you a FW 800 port.

The upside is that the drives are blazingly fast! 800Mbits/s as opposed to 480Mbits/s for USB 2.0 or Firewire 400. As far as I know, these are the fastest portable drives in existence.

PS. They also have ethernet disks if you\'re interested.

Check it out. www.lacie.com

Ben Ripley

Thanks for the Lacie lead, Ben. That gives me an idea that perhaps I should try out a firewire interface instead of the USB as another approach to solving this problem. My disk enclosure offers both interfaces. I also wonder of the disk enclosure itself may have a problem? Hmm. I think I\'ll try it on another computer to check that out.

Update: I\'ve been through just about every audio tweak for XP and the audio glitching is now reduced to a fairly regular interval: approximately once every 3.5 minutes. Is there something that Windows does at this interval that would interrupt disk writes over USB?

Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    Update: I\'ve been through just about every audio tweak for XP and the audio glitching is now reduced to a fairly regular interval: approximately once every 3.5 minutes. Is there something that Windows does at this interval that would interrupt disk writes over USB?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">network attached? Printer?

Do you also have latest updates? There was a 2 minute audio glich error in previous release of giga.

Also disable any COMM ports you are using.

Thanks for responding, composer22. I have network/wireless network, but not attached. No printer. I\'ll try disabling the COM ports. It\'s not the 2-minute glitch as the problem also occurs with my audio apps accessing the disk, either recording or playing back. - Doug

OK, finally found the answer. I played with the driver settings on my Echo Mona sound card. Under advanced settings I changed from the WDM setting to the PureWave setting and instantly everything was fine. Go figure.

Go Back to forum