• Help

Topic: GVI update - v3.60 now available

Share/Bookmark

GVI update - v3.60 now available

Just noticed this:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/downloads.html

New Features in 3.60

Windows Vista 32

GVI is now compatible with Windows Vista 32 for plug-in operation. Standalone operation is not supported at this time. The full installer must be downloaded. It is not possible to install a pre 3.60 version of GVI onto Vista then apply a patch update.

NOTE: When installing from the downloaded full installer, only the plug-in application will be installed. The checkbox to install the factory content must be manually unchecked. It will be necessary to use normal navigation via the Load menus to access factory content. Factory content will have to be manually copied from the GVI DVDs to the computer’s sample drive.
    Windows Vista “Trusted Sites”

When running a file that has been downloaded from the internet, Vista will present an “Internet downloaded file” warning. The GVI installer or patch updater would cause this warning to appear. To suppress this warning:
    1. Open the Internet Options control panel and click on the Security tab

2. Highlight the Trusted Sites icon and click the Sites button

3. Add www.tascamgiga.com as a trusted site.
    Windows Vista “User Account Control”

Windows Vista includes security measures to warn the user when an application is about to make a system change, as is common with application installers. Under Vista default settings, the GVI installer will cause a confirmation dialog to be presented. Click “Allow” to install GVI.

The GVI application itself will not present this dialog.

If you wish to disable the User Account Control warning:
    1. Open the User Accounts control panel

2. Click on “Turn User Account Control on or off”

3. Click on “Continue” to grant Vista permission to proceed with your request

4. Uncheck the “Use User Account Control” checkbox and click OK then restart
    Misc

• A Reset All command has been added to the Reset menu. Selecting this reset the entire GVI application (sampler, MIDI controllers, controller slider assignments).

• It is now possible to reset a Round Robin iMIDI sample series back to the beginning for repeatability of the series. There are three methods for this:
    1. Reset will occur on program change

2. Reset will occur on instrument select

3. Reset will occur when a note is received that is outside the valid range of the instrument
    • There is now a Filter CC Messages buttons in the Stack Properties window for a stacked instrument. This defaults to OFF. Enabling it filters out any CC messages to any inactive stack member instruments.

[...]

Maintenance Items in 3.60

• Previously, Release Trigger Tracking was not working correctly, resulting in notes incorrectly sustaining on sample libraries that use Release Trigger Tracking. This has been fixed in 3.60.
    Someone who understand the "under the hood" stuff better than me wrote, elsewhere:

As for feature requests, they have implemented the ability to filter cc# data from inactive stack instruments, which was requested by myself and others. This means that you can, for example, move your modwheel to 127 on a certain articulation, and when you switch out to another, its mod value will still be at 0, or whatever it was left at when you last switched away from that articulation. Very useful.
    Onwards and upwards.

It is nice to see user requests transformed into usable code so quickly!!

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: GVI update - v3.60 now available

Damn -
    I really like GVI, but this is update is so...

underwhelming.

Woohoo - 32 bit Vista. That is if I hold my breath while installing a somewhat hobbled GVI while chanting a Tibetan prayer. Then I get to play it in my host only, without drivers.

Enjoying the sound of silence.

fizbin

P.S. to be fair it will be nice for many to have the sustained note bug fixed

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    Damn -
    I really like GVI, but this is update is so...

underwhelming.
    Geez... folks'll complain about anything, won't they???

Tiny updates are better than no updates.

And they are clearly gearing up for the future...

... don't worry, there will be undoubtedly be great, huge, magnificent things for you to grouse about soon enough...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Indeed. How many of us are actually entrusting our working audio systems to Vista at this point? No, thank you. In fact, I just read an article that consumer backlash has led Dell to now offer XP as a choice again when ordering a new system. I've got Vista installed on a removable drive to check it out, and so far it's a PITA.

- G

You guys have a point, but I think these are all steps in the right direction (or at least in the direction that Microsoft would have audio s/w developers believe is right).

Who knows if Vista will drop off the face of the earth, at least as far as the audio world is concerned. I'm not so sure about "consumer" backlash: If by consumer, you mean "Computer-Based Composer', then yes, I'd say there's been a collective, "Meh..." from everyone who hasn't actively lashed out. If you mean real consumers...gamers, geeks, kids, moms and dads who need Bill the Babysitter to raise their kids (and there's a shocking number of them-I used to teach guitar lessons-I know), then I'd guess that Vista's been a success. Why, I have buddys who went and got a Vista Skin for their XP installs. Why? Cuz' it's cool! Audio guys want it to work, and not hog resources. Everyone else wants to be the coolest kid on the block. Big difference. Just who's the consumer here. The former example is the one that drives the market, so I can't see a full return to XP.

As for whether TASCAM needed to prioritize this, I think it's all part of the quest to load that 16 gigabytes of RAM on one machine, so they're not at fault if you ask me. I understand that their real prioity is the Mac port right now, so this must've been relatively easy compared to that, since they nailed it on the way. When the Mac version is out, there will be no need to rail against Bill and his damned hi-res videos playing all the time when all we need is a blank desktop image, some free RAM and a non-committed CPU.

My .02

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Indeed. How many of us are actually entrusting our working audio systems to Vista at this point? No, thank you. In fact, I just read an article that consumer backlash has led Dell to now offer XP as a choice again when ordering a new system. I've got Vista installed on a removable drive to check it out, and so far it's a PITA.

- G
    I'm wondering how 40 million copies of Vista have been sold.

Go Back to forum