• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Update to Where We Are At - Your comments and Questions

Share/Bookmark

The Update to Where We Are At - Your comments and Questions

A new update was posted and was made 'sticky' above.

This thread is to address any comments or questions you may have regarding the updates.

Thanks all for your patience.

Gary Garritan

Re: The Update to Where We Are At - Your comments and Questions

Here is a repost of the Update to Where We Are At:

Many of you have been patient in waiting for new releases and updates and I thought I would let you know where we're at with various projects. The last Update thread is over 600 posts and some have suggested a new thread be started with just the updates.

GPO and JABB Updates to MacIntel and Kontakt 2 Player...

Native Instruments is finishing their Q A and ready to upload it. We thought they would be online this week but there is a holiday in Germany tomorrow and most people are not in the office Friday, so the latest word is that the updates will be available early next week.

The GPO and JABB Updates have taken much longer than we expected. For those unfamiliar with the saga, here is a brief recount:
    Ours simple plan was this: we take GPO and JABB as it was in the original Kontakt Player and put it in the new Kontakt 2 Player, give it to our users as a free download in a reasonable time period, and everything should work and everybody is happy.

It did not work that way. As I posted in the original post back in November "Of course more player bugs, unexpected surprises or Murphy's Law can destroy these best laid plans." I must be a prophet! The Kontakt 2 Player was late to begin with. When we finally got the Player 2 in our hands, we tested it and it had some problems. Some GPO/JABB features that worked in Kontakt Player 1 did not work in Kontakt Player 2 and critical bugs were discovered that rendered our libraries, in our opinion, unusable. Since the problems were intermittent we had the burden to "reproduce" and prove the bug and this took time. Some problems we were able to script around and some of the more critical problems we had no choice but to wait for NI. Since it is Native Instrument's Player and we license it, it was up to them to fix these bugs. We could not fix it. Back to square one, encoding, testing, bug reports, a few angry customers, waiting, re-testing, reporting, QA, praying, etc. This diverted a good deal of our resources and delayed our other projects.
    The good news is that the updates are imminent, according to NI, and will be ready early next week. We hope this will end this long saga and that this struggle will soon be history. Users will have their free updates and we can re-focus our energies on getting out new libraries. We learned a great deal and this knowledge will help when we come out with our upcoming libraries. If we can get throught this we can get through anything.

Concert and Marching Band...

The bug that delayed GPO and JABB also affected Marching Band. There was another problem that surfaced dealing with broken loop points in the Kontakt 2 Player. This has been solved and hopefully we'll release this library late next month/early next.

General MIDI...

This library is just about there. We had to redo some programming since this cannot work in Bandstand as we had originally hoped. We added some additional functionality to get more expressive sounds from general midi. We also hope this will be ready late June/early July if all goes well.

Stradivari, Gofriller,Solo Strings and Orchestral Strings 2...

Strad 2.0r and Gofriller Cello are shipping and working well. We are rethinking our strategy with regards to all of the strings. We don't yet know for sure which changes will come about but will keep you informed when we decide. GOS 2 is coming along quite well. We'll post more information about the strings later.

Steinway Piano...

The Steinway is coming along quite nicely too. We added more beta testers. I am very happy with the engine and performance and believe this will set a new standard in piano libraries. We'll tell you more about the Steinway soon.

GPO Christmas Album 2007...

DP Dan is doing a good job on putting this together this year's community Christmas album. Hopefully we'll have lots of Christmas presents once this current log jam is cleared.

------

We did our best to keep everyone informed every step of the way - letting you know what was happening when it was happening. Do you favor this type of continuous input in light of what has happened? Or would you rather we just say nothing and release when ready? Feel free to start a new thread about this.

That's the latest right now and soon we hope the problems will be history. Thanks again for your patience. Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer what I can.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for the update.
    I didn't read anything about the drag and drop technology in the update...
    Is this going to be incorporated into future Garritan libraries?
    Maybe this is all covered ground but I sure didn't pick up on any of it.

Does this address any of the issues with the full GPO and Finale 2007?
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Exclamation Re: The Update to Where We Are At - Your comments and Questions

Gary,
    Thanks for the update. My vote is for you to keep up the great communication. I know there are some whiners (there always will be, you can't please everyone all the time) however from what I have read these individuals have no idea how much you put into this community. A high degree of communication is very welcome!

Keep up the good work. The good thing about waiting is that it gives me more time to save up for all the libraries I want to get.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hi Gary,
    Will the player that gets released next week also resolve the Strad and Gofriller load speed issues that some of us have been experiencing while using the currently available GPO K2 player? Also, any chance that the tranposition issue with the Gofriller Finale patch will be fixed during this cycle as well?

Thanks for the updates, your candor is rare and much appreciated.
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin
    Thanks for the update.
    I didn't read anything about the drag and drop technology in the update...
    Is this going to be incorporated into future Garritan libraries?
    Maybe this is all covered ground but I sure didn't pick up on any of it.
    Hi Ben,

We are hard at work with the new player. Drag and drop technology will be incorporated in future libraries. I cannot give any exact dates yet since software development operates under Murphy's Law. When we are close I'll let you know.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    Does this address any of the issues with the full GPO and Finale 2007?
    Samantha,
    We are working with MakeMusic and NI to address the issues with GPO and Finale. First the Kontakt 2 issues needed to be resolved. Next Human Playback has to be updated. This is being worked on and hopefully will be available as a download soon. I'll follow up with the Finale folks and let you know when I find out more.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Gary,
    Thanks for the update. My vote is for you to keep up the great communication. I know there are some whiners (there always will be, you can't please everyone all the time) however from what I have read these individuals have no idea how much you put into this community. A high degree of communication is very welcome!

Keep up the good work. The good thing about waiting is that it gives me more time to save up for all the libraries I want to get.

-Kevin
    Thanks Kevin! It seems some news (even if not good news) is better than no news and silence. I'll do my best to continue communicating.

Thanks for your support!

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by aconquija
    Hi Gary,
    Will the player that gets released next week also resolve the Strad and Gofriller load speed issues that some of us have been experiencing while using the currently available GPO K2 player? Also, any chance that the tranposition issue with the Gofriller Finale patch will be fixed during this cycle as well?

Thanks for the updates, your candor is rare and much appreciated.
    JS
    JS,
    The transposition issue is being fixed and a new Human Playback update as well as a Cello update fix will be posted soon. As soon as MakeMusic posts the update we'll post the corresponding nki.

As far as the Gofriller load issue, could you send me an email outlying the specific problem and I will forward to to NI to see if we can find a solution to the problem.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum