• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga libs to GVI

Share/Bookmark

Giga libs to GVI

Yes, I can load any of my samples in GS3 into GVI, but they sound blah without GigaPulse. Some of the Tascam samples coming with GVI have Gigapulse enbeded. Can this be done with all the samples? How?
    If yes, please, give just one example with step by step (for editor-idiot like me).
    Thanks

Ted

Re: Giga libs to GVI

Yes, Ted. This can be done! Here's the skinny (it's not so much an editor method as a gigapulse method):

Load the instrument you wish to encode into gigastudio, and route it to the desired gigapulse preset in the DSP section.

Find the settings you want your gigapulse instance to default to. These ca nbe adjusted in GVI from the gigapulse view, but it's nice to find a good default setting.

In the gigapulse file menu, choose the very bottom option, "Encode Current cfg to a gig instrument preset".

You can select the instrument you want to encode, but be aware that once you encode it, it will be like that until you reverse the process using the same menu option. I believe this process is pretty self explanatory once you get this far. It's a fairly simple drag and drop process.

The other option (non-destructive), is to create a "dummy" instrument in the editor, and encode the gigapulse preset to that instrument, so you can stack it with any instrument you wish. Just create a new file with a single region, mapped to a null sample. Write back with a "huh?" if you need clarification on this. Gigaedit documentation covers null sample mapping, though.

Let me know how it works!

Belbin

Thanks a lot Belbin!

I will try it today. If I have a "huh" I will bother you again, thanks for the offer.
    It would be great if I could do this, I am getting tired (sick) of GS3 and Sonar 6 problems. I do not have too much time (80 in two weeks) to waste...

Again; Thanks

Ted

Huh?

I tried, to save your kind generosity with your knowledge, even tried to get to Gigaedit documentation, but could not find it.
    The second option is (I think) what I wish to get. In GS3 I use two instances of GigaPulse, one set up for front and the other to back. So, if I would have tthen the same situation in GVI.
    My problem is that I am a lazy person, had no guts to use the editor, so I have no idea
    How to create a new file with a single region,
    how to mapp it to a null sample.
    Boy, do I need clarification...
    My search for "null sample mapping" came back with zilch, which just proves that I do not know the basic jargon I should...
    So, if you do not mind, please educate me more...
    If this is too much to ask, please ignore me, I'll get it done somehow, and still will be greatful for your idea.
    (BTW, where is that picture taken on your page? The one with your profile on it?)

Ted

Sonar 6 SE
    GS3 Orchestra
    GVI
    AP2496
    Pentium 4, 3GHz,2 GB Ram
    Winows XP Home, SP2

Sorry, Ted- It would've been as easy to type the following instructions as it was to type "Look in the Help file..." :

To map a region to a null sample:

1) Open the editor.
    2) Click the "New File" button...looks like a blank document. OR: File->New
    3) The new file will contain a blank instrument with no regions. You must create a region in order to save it. Simply right-click in the grey area under the keyboard and select, "Add Region". It does not matter which key this region is on, as it will not make a sound. It's best to leave it within the sounding range of any instrument you plan to stack it with, so it will blend with the keys that turn white when the instruments are loaded in GS/GVI. Middle C or something like that. Note that the "Velocity window" (In the grid at bottom of the screen where dimension splits are displayed) will turn from grey to orange or red, indicating that there is stuff going on in this instrument. i.e. one or more regions have been created.
    4) The region should default to an null sample. I can't actually remember if this will work or not. I seem to remember having difficulties encoding the gigapulse instance using a null sample. If this happens, the workaround is to creat an actual blank sample. Just export a second or so of audio from a muted audio track in Sonar, and import that .wav file into your .gig file (You can drag and drop from its directory into the wavepool window in Gigaedit. Then drag the sample from the wavepool onto the velocity window. This will map that sample to the region. When played, the midi note where it's mapped will actually use one (or two if it's a stereo sample) voice of polyphony. No big deal, I guess.
    5) Name the instrument for convenience during use: Large hall gigapulse, for instance.
    6) Save the gig file.
    7) Follow the encoding process outline in a previous post.

Note: You can create a bunch of instruments, encoded with different gigapulse presets within one gig file.

OK. That wasn't as easy as "Read the Help File", but I like to a) Help people, b) Appear smart, and c) Demonstrate that Giga is cool, despite the fact that not all of these advanced functions are terribly well documented.

What picture? I can't see any pictures or people's avatars on either of my computers for some reason. It's never bothered me until now. I hve no Idea what you're talking about. How 'bout a screenshot, or some instructions on enabling this (I know Giga, not web browsers) feature?

Have fun!

Belbin

Belbin:

The delay answering your kind help is not because I am ungrateful. I tried and tried in the past three days to do what you are suggesting, and I was hoping to write to you Heureka! However, I had no luck.
    With GVI we received one Gigapulse .gig with the Trumpet samples of Westgate Studios. This I can use either as a Stack on instruments, or load it and have it apply to all instruments set to this.
    The problem for me is that this is a center-back position, and I would love to have an other one, center-front.
    I can not believe that this .gig is a deep secret, people who are at home with Giga Editor should be able to duplicate this .gig having an other position. I am sure, many of you did this.
    Would it be possible that who has such thing would be willing to share this with halfwitts like me? Or, is this against some LAW?
    I do not know the size of the .gig, but it can not be too big?
    I am still trying and let you know if I succeed. Until then,
    Thanks again.

Ted

Ted,
    That's a shame. You're right that the files are not large where gigapulse encoding is concerned, but sharing them is risky business, legally speaking (even though you own it, I'd be reluctant to post it somewhere for you, unless tim chimed in and said it's ok).

That said, there's an easy fix for your problem: Load the "back-center" gigapulse instrument in GVI, and use the perspective control to "tighten" the mic positioning. This method, at least in theory, brings the source placement closer to the mic(s), or brings the mic(c) closer to the source placement. I have tried this, and it works well, unless I've misunderstood your intentions.

Best,
    Belbin

P.S. Have a look here:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/GigaPulse_Manual.pdf

It's on page 65.

Belbin

Dear Belbin:

I am sure you are getting sick of my pestering. Your last reply said that " not unless Tim said so."
    My birthday is on the 31 of May, so I thought what can I loose, get a message of to Tim at Westgate and ask him for an 80th BD present. I told him what you said, not without Tim saying so. This morning came a birthday wish and the permission..
    He said, Belbin can make it for you no problem. If you wish you may check with him.
    Now, the question is are you willing to do this big favour? I promised Tim that I am not distributing this to anyone.
    So, it is now your turn to wish me a Happy birthday. (I think I am a baaaaaad guy)

Will try your suggestion today, and thanks again. BTW, you have my permission to tell me to fly a kite...

Ted

Lol. Coming right up, my young-at-heart friend!

Belbin

Go Back to forum