• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 6 produces WAV files that can't be burned to CD

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 6 produces WAV files that can't be burned to CD

I've been wrestling with Sonar 6.0 PE for a while now and I can't seem to get this to work:

After mixing down projects from MIDI (soft synth sound source) to a track (using "bounce to track" as per the Sonar manual) I exported to .WAV file format (as I have done in previous versions of Sonar.) However, neither .wav format option in the Save dialog actually saves the file in a format that any CD-burning software will recognize as allowable for a CD-ROM.

The files play back fine from my hard drive, in Windows Media Player. But they can't be burned to a disc (making them useless). Nero, Roxio, etc. all display error messages saying that the file format is unrecognized. Even Windows Media Player displays this message. Yet all the CD burning applications have have no problem with the WAV files from earlier versions of the same projects that were created with Sonar 5 and 6.

Re: Sonar 6 produces WAV files that can't be burned to CD

[Has anything happened to your settings -- so that you are perhaps now exporting 24-bit wav files?

I am not sure where to check/change this. I believe I installed version 6 with all the default settings, as that is what I usually do with a new version of Sonar (or any application.) I expected that the WAV file format export, which was identified in the Sonar help system as compatible with CD-ROM would in fact be compatible and would make the necessary conversions (as my NLE software does when exporting video for a DVD).

When you export, Sonar 6 shows a screen presenting among other things options for the bit depth desired for the exported file. If you're making audio CD's, you need them to be 16-bit files at 44,100 KHz. CD burning programs balk when the .wav's are anything else. (My LAME MP3 encoder is similarly unable to convert them.)

I believe earlier Sonar versions did 16 bits by default. Now, with so many users recording and editing in 24-bit, the default has changed. Just select the 16-bit option as you export, and I suspect you will be all right.

Another possibility is to downsample existing .wav files in Wavelab or another audio editor. If you can't easily re-export them, that might be the best way to fix the trouble.

Larry

I did this just the other day. The only difference is that I have the Home edition of Sonar 6.

What I did was export the audio mix to MP3 format (as lallis notes, 16/44.1) then used Windows Media Player to burn an AUDIO (i.e., not MP3 but real audio) CD.

I then tested it on an audio-only CD player to make sure it worked.

Let me just echo what has already been said by other posters. I am running Sonar PE 6.1 and have no difficulty burning .wav files to a CD. There is a tutorial on this topic included on your Sonar installation DVD. You might want to work through this as well. But, as has been said, in order to burn to a CD you must select 16 bit, 44.1 when exporting your tracks.

Also, are you aware of an excellent Sonar help forum?
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Yes, setting the final export to 16 bit WAV (Broadcast) works. It is not the default, but you can save it as a preset. I don't convert to mp3 because it was my understanding that mp3s are lower quality. Also, when mixing down the tracks and doing the export to the WAV file, I check the option to use the 64 bit engine.

I am more familiar with video and graphics than audio and my instinct is to stay with the highest qualtiy for as long as the application will let you and reduce it only by as much as you have to get a file that you can burn to a CD.

Go Back to forum