• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fauchard Choral: Final orchestration

Share/Bookmark

Smile Fauchard Choral: Final orchestration

Over the last few months I have been orchestrating and organ piece by Fauchard, his "Choral".

I've shared the 1st 3 iterations, now the orchestration is complete, and I value your feedback. The final version is HERE http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/F...horalFinal.mp3

If you want to hear my rendition of the organ version to compare, it is HERE http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/FauchardChoral.mp3

If there is sufficient interest, I'll prepare a PDF score so you can follow the orchestration.

[EDIT] Here's the score - it's a bit rough in spots, but this is as it is with no major tweaking - this is what Finale 2006 rendered the score from, so you can see it _is_ possible to get an expressive rendition via notation-only, one must carefully mark the score, however.

http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/FauchardChoral.pdf

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by giwro_jon; 05-17-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Add PDF link

Re: Fauchard Choral: Final orchestration

Bravo!

Jonathan, this is a truly brilliant orchestration of the
    Fauchard (not to mention quite a superb rendering).

The color work in this; the adherence to line and idea
    without imitation of organ voicing -- yet with unerring
    clarity; and the trueness to source material: in this,
    I see the able hand and hard work of a master of the
    craft of orchestration.

I would most assuredly enjoy and learn from seeing
    the score, and I hope you will find time to prepare
    it, my friend.

I cannot but say it twice:

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Bravo!

Jonathan, this is a truly brilliant orchestration of the
    Fauchard (not to mention quite a superb rendering).

The color work in this; the adherence to line and idea
    without imitation of organ voicing -- yet with unerring
    clarity; and the trueness to source material: in this,
    I see the able hand and hard work of a master of the
    craft of orchestration.

I would most assuredly enjoy and learn from seeing
    the score, and I hope you will find time to prepare
    it, my friend.

I cannot but say it twice:

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Yikes....

Thanks for such kind words and high praise - it means a lot coming from you, David!

I purposely set the registration indications aside from the organ verson, and tried to avoid listening to the organ recording - I wanted to approach this piece with as few preconceptions as possible, and try to make it idiomatic to the orchestra. Apparently I've succeeded (I hope my college orchestration prof would be proud!)

I actually find that I prefer the orchestration to the organ version (yeah, I'm biased!). This music has such beautiful lines and lush harmonies, it was a pleasure to set.

I actually hope to do more of this sort of thing - it is great practice for orchestrating my own music.

Cheers,

-Jonathan

Hello, giwro_jon

I like to start my mornings with music in the air, and it's become my habit to have that music be from The Listening Room, when there's a new post to listen to, or a favorite I want to return to.

This morning I was very fortunate to have your Fauchard Choral be the morning music.

What you've accomplished, expanding this organ piece into a full orchestral score is awe inspiring. What a huge, wonderful project for you to focus on, and you've ended up with a remarkable accomplishment.

"...I hope my college orchestration prof would be proud!..."

I easily believe it would be proud indeed.

Just wonderful--Thank you so much for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

PS---Interesting to notice that one of the recurring motifs in this--the opening one in fact, is like part of the Orchestration Challenge #12 that I wrote!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, giwro_jon

I like to start my mornings with music in the air, and it's become my habit to have that music be from The Listening Room, when there's a new post to listen to, or a favorite I want to return to.

This morning I was very fortunate to have your Fauchard Choral be the morning music.

What you've accomplished, expanding this organ piece into a full orchestral score is awe inspiring. What a huge, wonderful project for you to focus on, and you've ended up with a remarkable accomplishment.

"...I hope my college orchestration prof would be proud!..."

I easily believe it would be proud indeed.

Just wonderful--Thank you so much for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

PS---Interesting to notice that one of the recurring motifs in this--the opening one in fact, is like part of the Orchestration Challenge #12 that I wrote!
    Thanks for the kind words, Randy!

I'm glad to have done this project - it has taught me a lot about orchestration (or perhaps reminded me of things I had forgotten )

I remember from days gone by that many of our orchestration exercises involved orchestrating a piano piece - it was a great exercise to do that and attempt retain the "flavor" of a piece while still making it idiomatic to the orchestra. IMHO if done well an exercise like this can even surpass the original (although I'll leave the judgement of that to others - _I_ like it better - which is something, considering that I'm an organist!)

Cheers!

-J

Jon,

Well done indeed, I can tell it has been a labour of love for you.

My Best

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Jon,

Well done indeed, I can tell it has been a labour of love for you.

My Best

Ray

Thanks, Ray!

Cheers,

-J

Jon,
    Been through this three times now. I must commend you on a top drawer accomplishment. All facets of your effort are amazing. The orchestration in particular. While it avoids imitation of the organ it remains true to the original organ work. I'm guessin' that wasn't easy, lol. Wonderful rendering and reverb, too. Just one, somewhat odd side note. At 6:25, it sounds like Fauchard quotes Wagner's Tristan. Is it just me or has this been noted before? And yes, this is proof that notation is capable of expressiveness rivaling reality.

Bravo and bravissimo!

Bill
    Last edited by valhalx; 05-18-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Jonathan

You would never know this piece was not written for orchestra after hearing your arrangement. You made this Fauchard a natural fit for orchestra.

In the fashion of the great masters, like Rimsky-Korsakov and Ravel, you have take a work and imbued it with orchestral life. Your orchestration professor certainly would be proud.

Incredible work and a must listen for everyone. I am addicted to this.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Jonathan,
    With much envy, this is unbelievably well produced!! Beautiful! Maestro Jon!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast