• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using JABB instruments in Kontakt2

Share/Bookmark

Using JABB instruments in Kontakt2

I've given up on the Kontakt 2 Player (which I found to be very buggy) and the original players for GPO and JABB. I am loading all instruments in the full version of Kontakt 2 now. I noticed that one of the updates I installed created a Kontakt 2 folder with GPO instruments. I don't see an equivalent for JABB ... although I am able to open JABB instruments in Kontakt. What am I missing by doing this? And when may we expect to see Kontakt2 samples for JABB?

Re: Using JABB instruments in Kontakt2

I have done the same thing. Found KONTAKT 2.2 and so far like it better than the players in JABB/GPO. Adding the .dll file to my FINALE 2007 VST Folder was the trick, and FINALE 2007 works pretty good with KONTAKT 2.2.

Can anyone tell me how to disable the mod. wheel function? I'm tired of having to "jiggle" the mod wheel to get all my instruments to play.

Quote Originally Posted by t.altmann
    Can anyone tell me how to disable the mod. wheel function? I'm tired of having to "jiggle" the mod wheel to get all my instruments to play.
    You can do better than that. You can specify a default start value different from 0 (or the -1, you will find in GPO KP1). Just find all CC#1 modulators in each group (don't select "Edit all groups", edit one group at the time; they may not all have the same modulation set up) and change the number in the box to the right of the CC number (left of the slider). But, make sure to save under a new name - otherwise you loose the original patch, and patches saved with K2 cannot be loaded into KP1.

And disabling the ModWheel function in GPO & JABB is not a good idea!

But, since GPO & JABB KP2 can be expected (oficially) any day now, it may not be woth the hassle to go through all this.

Thanks, Nickie for the cc#1 mod. Wheel tip(s)...

I just had an interesting discovery:
    I am running KONTAKT 2 (v 2.2) from Native Instruments, not the KONTAKT PLAYER 2 (v 2.1?)......????

I'm able to load instruments from both JABB and GPO in KONTAKT 2, but unable to load instruments in KONTAKT PLAYER 2 (I'm sure it's a registration issue...)

So which player is better? What are the differences? Any FINALE 2007 users recommend one over the other? What player is the EASIEST player that would require the LEAST AMOUNT of thought? Who took my pants?

Quote Originally Posted by t.altmann
    I'm able to load instruments from both JABB and GPO in KONTAKT 2, but unable to load instruments in KONTAKT PLAYER 2 (I'm sure it's a registration issue...)
    JABB and the old GPO (the version without the fancy yellow skin) are not encoded for KP2 and can for this reason not be loaded into KP2.

Actually, all JABB and GPO instruments CAN be loaded in Kontakt 2. For GPO, I am using the Kontakt 2 instruments. For JABB, I am using the same instruments that I load in the JABB bundled player. But it is missing all the special knobs for each instrument. I suppose that these values can be set by inserting these CC values into my tracks, but I was hoping that Garritan would release a Kontakt 2 version of this library, as it did with GPO.

Even without it, I wouldn't go back to the old player, which limits me to 8 instruments. I can now do most of my pieces with one or two instances of Kontakt in Sonar, rather than at least one instance each of Kontakt, GPO and JABB. In practice I was sometimes using as many as two instances of each of the latter and sometimes having to open an instance just for one instrument. It was very time consuming just to find an instrument when I wanted to change a parameter and Sonar took forever to open and close files when I had a lot of plug-ins running.

I didn't say, they can't be loaded into Kontakt 2; I do that myself. I said they cannot be loaded into Kontakt Player 2 (KP2). Or rather couldn't - as of today KP2 updates are available for both GPO and JABB.

Should I give the (updated) Kontakt Player 2 a try? Or is Kontact 2 good enough? I wacked out my registration with Native Instruments last time I changed my VST plug-in....But if anyone has a super great reason to use Kontakt Player 2 over Kontakt 2, I'd love to hear it!

Also, anyone notice a skip and/or stutter in playback of JABB on Kontact 2 (in conjuntion w/FINALE 2007) when using extensive percussion? Or skips/stutters in general. I've got a pretty good (Windows) dual core rig with 4 Gig memory, so I don't think it's a hardware issue? Any solutions? Native Instruments support is pretty generic with this kind of problem, so anything anyone could add would be most appreciated.

I found my pants....I was wearing them!

Go Back to forum