• Register
  • Help

Topic: Change in Timpani from K1 to K2(?)

Share/Bookmark

Change in Timpani from K1 to K2(?)

I'm a Finale 2007c.r2 user (no HP, manual MIDI programming) who
    upgraded to the new full GPO for K2 (univ. bin) a month or so ago at NI
    (for my MacIntel, yes, buggy, but workable for now).

I am importing several slightly older Finale 2007 docs (from my Mac G5) which
    had orchestral setups using full GPO and K1.

Things are fine as I (re)assign the GPO instruments in the K2 players, except I notice that the sound/timbre of the full GPO Timpani has changed.
    The attack is much stronger (sounds like a harder mallet, even at very low velocities) and the timbre is brighter. I think the Timpani in full GPO with K1 was far more realistic, particularly for quieter dynamics.
    Am I mistaken?

(I have bypassed the reverb(s) to confirm the difference).

Any comments/suggestions/observations on this?

Just a small issue, but a disappointment.

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,
    Matt H.
    Apple Mac User

1) Mac Pro two dualcore Intel 3GHz Xeon
    with 4GB RAM. OS X 10.4.11
    6 x Samsung Syncmaster214T LCD's

2) Power Mac G5 dual 1.8Ghz
    with 2.5GB RAM, OS X 10.3.9

--Finale 2008b.r1 user with
    Garritan full GPO and JABB
    --ProTools LE 7.3

Re: Change in Timpani from K1 to K2(?)

I compared the two of them in Kontakt 2. I can't hear any difference at all. I can, however, hear the difference, you mention, when I compare the KP1 timpani with the same timpani loaded in K2 - at least for lower velocities. Must be the newer playback engine, that's responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Halper
    I'm a Finale 2007c.r2 user (no HP, manual MIDI programming) who
    upgraded to the new full GPO for K2 (univ. bin) a month or so ago at NI
    (for my MacIntel, yes, buggy, but workable for now).

I am importing several slightly older Finale 2007 docs (from my Mac G5) which
    had orchestral setups using full GPO and K1.

Things are fine as I (re)assign the GPO instruments in the K2 players, except I notice that the sound/timbre of the full GPO Timpani has changed.
    The attack is much stronger (sounds like a harder mallet, even at very low velocities) and the timbre is brighter. I think the Timpani in full GPO with K1 was far more realistic, particularly for quieter dynamics.
    Am I mistaken?

(I have bypassed the reverb(s) to confirm the difference).

Any comments/suggestions/observations on this?

Just a small issue, but a disappointment.

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,
    Matt H.
    Hello Matt,

I totally agree with you. In fact, I find the timpani in K2 almost unusable for quiet passages and gentle cres - dim. The timpani in K1 is far more realistic and whenever I need to use the timpani now I always use K1. I hope the timps sound better in the forthcoming fixed K2.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I noticed this too. Hopefully, it has to do with the 'broken' features that were discovered and will be fixed with the next NI update.

Rob

Thanks for some confirmation on K2 issues and Timp for quieter dynamics.

Any suggestions for now?
    (Unfortunately I can't use both K1 and K2 on my Intel Mac and keep processing power up to speed to cover a full orchestra. Rosetta mode is a slug for real-time synthesis.)

From what I've read on the GPO timp in the manual, there seems to be no controller assigned to "hardness of attack" (other than velocity--which doesn't change the timbre now) or some sort of filter (lowpass or otherwise) to roll-off the brightness. I am correct?

As is, the timpani are far too present to be usable.

Thanks.
    M
    Apple Mac User

1) Mac Pro two dualcore Intel 3GHz Xeon
    with 4GB RAM. OS X 10.4.11
    6 x Samsung Syncmaster214T LCD's

2) Power Mac G5 dual 1.8Ghz
    with 2.5GB RAM, OS X 10.3.9

--Finale 2008b.r1 user with
    Garritan full GPO and JABB
    --ProTools LE 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Halper
    Any suggestions for now?

Thanks.
    M
    I just used a bit of eq in the K2 player to tone it down to what I thought was acceptable.

Rob

Thanks for alerting us to this issue. I did some testing and it appears to be a problem confined to the velocity=volume instruments like percussion. We will try to find a fix for a future update. In the meantime, it is possible to compensate for this using EQ in a host environment like a sequencer as suggested by Rob in the reply above.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Thanks for alerting us to this issue. I did some testing and it appears to be a problem confined to the velocity=volume instruments like percussion. We will try to find a fix for a future update. In the meantime, it is possible to compensate for this using EQ in a host environment like a sequencer as suggested by Rob in the reply above.

Tom
    Thanks Tom. I just found this reply after responding in your official announcement.

As I said, I get around it by using K1 for the percussion (K1 and K2 player appear to live happily together). Please advise if this is not recommended.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum