• Register
  • Help

Topic: Narnia - Live

Share/Bookmark

Smile Narnia - Live

Hi everyone,

I did something today that I've only done once before - I went to the symphony. A friend was singing in the choir, so we went to see him. Honestly, I was only expecting to hear a few songs from Narnia and then go home. To my surprise, other works from the movies were performed - from Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Harry Potter etc. I loved it! (except that I had lousy seats, more on that later). After intermission, the choir gets into position behind the stage, we see our friend, everything is cool...what I didn't realize is that it was going to get even better. Within a few seconds I'm 15 feet away from Harry Gregson-Williams himself!! I had no idea that he was going to be even be there, much less be conducting! I was so excited!!

Now to the disappointing part of the show...
    The house was empty...very very empty...so empty that at intermission we were able to switch to the area that I thought that I bought tickets for.
    I was so sad to see such a great show with such a small audience. I don't remember seeing any advertising for the show, so maybe that's why no one was there. Is this a trend happening everywhere? Well, I just wanted to share my day.

Take Care,
    Steph

Re: Narnia - Live

Wow!! How lucky! That must have been a thrill! I'm quite jealous! I love the Narnia music (and Beetlejuice, and Harry Potter). How did the music sound when played by a live orchestra compared to the soundtrack versions? It'd be interesting to see how much of that soundtrack product is in the recording and post-production of it and how much is in the orchestration...

Ah, that's so cool!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Wow!! How lucky! That must have been a thrill! I'm quite jealous! I love the Narnia music (and Beetlejuice, and Harry Potter). How did the music sound when played by a live orchestra compared to the soundtrack versions? It'd be interesting to see how much of that soundtrack product is in the recording and post-production of it and how much is in the orchestration...

Ah, that's so cool!
    Hi Sean

I was disappointed in the seats that we got originally, because while Beetlejuice etc. was playing, all I could hear was the xylophone. So, I really can't comment on the first set of songs. Once we moved to better seats after intermission, the Narnia pieces were played and it sounded so much better. Sound issues still persisted, but it still sounded very good.

Anyway, I think that the soundtrack versions have quite a bit of enhancement as compared with the live orchestra set in the hall. I still really really enjoyed the show. It was an unforgettable experience for me (even with the sound issues)

Take care,
    Steph
    Last edited by Stephanie Pray; 05-19-2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: boy do I sound grumpy today :-o sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    I don't remember seeing any advertising for the show, so maybe that's why no one was there. Is this a trend happening everywhere?
    I think that advertising is down a good bit. The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra used to put advertisements on local TV stations several years ago. Now, the only advertisement I've seen for them was when I was down in Pittsburgh about a year ago and saw the sign for them on Heinz Hall. I personally have never seen the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and probably won't get a chance to for a while because they never advertise their shows on TV anymore.

The last time I saw an advertisement for a performance was a few days ago while we were on the bus headed for Kennywood. There was a sign about the performance for a community orchestra hanging on the railing next to the road. Unfortunately, someone had spraypainted half the sign in graffiti, covering up the location, date, and time.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro

Now to the disappointing part of the show...
    The house was empty...very very empty...so empty that at intermission we were able to switch to the area that I thought that I bought tickets for.
    I was so sad to see such a great show with such a small audience. I don't remember seeing any advertising for the show, so maybe that's why no one was there. Is this a trend happening everywhere? Well, I just wanted to share my day.

Take Care,
    Steph
    Hi Steph,

I think it is a trend, it is sooo sad!

3 weeks ago me and my wife went to a great wonderfull german concert. The same: only a handfull people... .

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Steph,

Glad you got to see it performed, even though I guess i don't even know what Narnia is.

Here, when there is low attendance to an event, I blame the newspaper. I think it sux when newspapers report about a concert or event after it's over, but didn't make an announcement before the event. Our paper does that a lot. They report in the form of a review and blame the empty seats on various factors, but never fess up that it is at least partly their fault nobody knew there was an event to go to. Probably, it's all their fault. In a city this size, there will not be empty seats if people know there is something to go see. The symphonic concerts, though, usually draw a full house because their dates are well known, plus lots of radio ads.

The community concert series in my little town is going mostly non-classical to try and boost attendance. Bagpipers, yodeling cowboys and the like. I think it's like the churches doing rock services.

But I would think film music could draw a crowd, especially with the composer conducting. It sounds like poor planning.

Phil

Stephanie,

Wow, I would have loved to see that concert. I think it's great when Film Composers come into the concert halls. They bring such an impact to the orchestra.

With that in mind, I am extremely stoked because I just found out that John Williams is coming to Columbus in the fall to conduct the Columbus Symphony. I just hope I can get tickets.

I'm glad that you had a good time.

Have a nice day,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum