• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Unfinished Romance for Violin & Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Unfinished Romance for Violin & Orchestra

Good afternoon [at least overhere],

this is the 1/3 thrd of a new piece I am writing. Now for a different instrument than the piano. I am trying the violin now [it is all part of a learning curve, you know].

Before I end this piece with another (about) 6 minutes of music, I really want your comments on this, all sorts of comments, condemn it, praise it, tell me about the violin solo in particular, etc. I'll take all comments to amend the first part and apply those to the rest.

Romance for violin and small orchestra

Instrumentation:
    2 Flutes
    2 Cor Anglais
    2 Clarinets (Bb)
    Violin Solo
    Violins I, II
    Violas
    Celli
    Contrabasses

Rendering:
    I played back this piece directly from my Notation Program (Mozart), using Midi-OX, Garritan Studio and Ambience (Concerthall1)
    While recording I slightly "touched" the modwheel (in fact I moused it) in the KPlayer.

Waiting for some useful comments,

Raymond
    [DPDAN, while playing this I thought of your "Frankenstein" piece, with the same tear-yerking effects, and had a good laugh]

Re: Unfinished Romance for Violin & Orchestra

Good morning, Raymond

Happy Sunday to you. I must say my own Sunday morning is a much prettier one now that I've heard your "Unfinished Romance." Maybe the rainy weather outside will follow suit and lighten up--a mild sprinkle if it must rain at all. Yes, more of a mist would suit the music's mood better.

What a lovely "first 1/3." I admire its gentle classical sensibility very much. It swept along gracefully through its progressons, verging perhaps on parody (as you refer to in your PS)--but I'm one always willing to let sentiment be honestly stated, and my impression was that this was straight forward old fashioned Romanticism.

You said you'll be wanting comments as you continue on with this piece, and in particular about the solo Violin.

OK, I have one basic piece of feedback--that for the piece, and the Violin solo in particular to sweep along even more gracefully, much more could be done with the dynamics via cc1. Often there are notes on the Violin which don't seem to vary for their duration, starting and ending less smoothly than they could.

On that subject--I was very curious about this:

"...While recording I slightly "touched" the modwheel (in fact I moused it) in the KPlayer..."

Is that because you don't have a way of recording complex cc1 data? How will you ever be able to replicate this crucial element of the piece, if the mod wheel was only done on the fly during recording--?

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the Piano Roll View in Sonar (also in Cubase and all DAW programs) where I can do intricate data editing in the Controller Pane--And that is following the live use of a Mod Wheel on a keyboard. Having that cc1 data be extremely active is the only way to get a more organic sound which better emulates live performance.

Isn't there some way to have this crucial data be part of your piece's file?

I want to end with a Thank You though--It's a very pretty piece.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Raymond, the melodic work in this is just enchanting. Get
    back to work, my friend, go finish this!

I found the violin work quite lovely -- both the sweet, clear
    tone and "playing" in the more exposed sections; and also
    in the denser textures, where it stands out "just right" -- not
    too much, not too little.

One point where I will follow on along with Randy is dynamics,
    though. (I know, I know, I'm always carping about dynamics.)
    This is such beautifully Romantic writing -- it seems, to me,
    to ask for more of a sweeping, changing approach to the
    dynamics... in keeping with the soaring melodic work.

I am much looking forward to the progress on this, Raymond!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Randy and David,

thank you both for this early comments. Due to an error or not yet fully programmed section my notation program doesn't allow me to input any midi signals while Midi-Ox has been installed. So I couldn't input complex Midi control values directly into the playback and the "Send" function in Midi-Ox isn't very cool to use.

Now everything got the volume just by using the velocity as such (the volume controller isn't programmed as well in that notation program, it is jsut reacting upon velocity and I only can lower those values per channel).

I struggled along to get a better sound than the notation program gives me, playing back via a midi stream going directly into my hardware synthesizer by setting up Midi-OX, extra virtual midi ports and assigning them to the various ports used for Garritan studio.

The moment it is finished I can transfer the whole lot to Sonar and do a better rendering, also for the solo violin, which now is NOT the STRAD but the Stradivari solo violin from GPO library.

Today I will input the already written (on paper) other parts and tomorrow I'll, for sure, Sonar comes into focus.

And before you tell me to get another notation program, I don't have the money for it at the moment. Had to buy another computersystem and had to pay the repair bill of my older car (each about $1.900).

For a while I tried Overture (demo) and I liked it with mixed feelings. One of the things I miss in Overture is that VST-search engine. It allows only one folder where all VST instruments must be placed. And now the installation programs which came with GPO, Strad and The Grand (Steinberg), all put theirs instruments into another folder [I could have changed this, but why should I be a programmer, while with a little effort the developer of Overture can do this!!!!] Also Finale and Sibelius have my attention,... waiting for more money as everybody, though?

Enough for now, I will finish this as soon as possible.

Greetings,

Raymond

Raymond,

I did not fully understand what your problem with MidiOx was but this little freeware program has helped me a lot for combining midi streams:

MusicLab MIDI Device Connection Center by www.musiclab.com

Regarding your piece the sound of the violin is pleasantly better than what I would expect from notation only with the GPO solo violin, so your reverb and EQ setup seems to be fine. Of course it will improve once you get your modwheel and sequencer running.

The thing that I miss a little is ... ahem, form (sorry, I hate to critizise you since you are a great guy but you have asked). Perhaps I do not really understand the piece but after the middle it does not really go anywhere for me. In your case I would try to establish a dramatical architecture and work out some tension waves.

Keep on the good work,
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Raymond,

Well composed and arranged, You are a master at this.
    I can only give an opinion on whether I got pleasure in listening to this recording. I didn't! You need the Strad because for me this recording, to use a non technical term is squeaky! and it spoils your good work.
    Perhaps you could eq a bit of the squekiness out when finishing this.

My Best

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    I did not fully understand what your problem with MidiOx was but this little freeware program has helped me a lot for combining midi streams:MusicLab MIDI Device Connection Center by www.musiclab.com
    What does it do? I don't have problems with MidiOx but with the notation program. One way or another I can't mix the output midi stream from that program with external midi signals. Maybe I do it all wrong and before you dive into some explanation I will have a second look at my set-up.

The thing that I miss a little is ... ahem, form (sorry, I hate to critizise you since you are a great guy but you have asked). Perhaps I do not really understand the piece but after the middle it does not really go anywhere for me. In your case I would try to establish a dramatical architecture and work out some tension waves.
    Don't know or can't get the idea what you mean by this. Please help.

Thank you for your comment. I really want to make this a good composition, it is for my wife you know [and that should be good!!]

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Raymond,

Well composed and arranged, You are a master at this.
    I can only give an opinion on whether I got pleasure in listening to this recording. I didn't! You need the Strad because for me this recording, to use a non technical term is squeaky! and it spoils your good work.
    Perhaps you could eq a bit of the squekiness out when finishing this.

My Best

Ray
    I will Ray, but at the moment I only used this for play back from my notation program. I have some troubles with the setup, don't fully understand how to connect things together... but I shall learn. I know I asked for it and I am grateful to all of you.

Raymond

By the way Hannes, shall we continue this discussion by personal emails.
    This is merely composition technique and NOT listening room.
    Maybe Tom or Gary can introduce another "Thread Page" for those comments, questions, etc.

Raymond
    ramrobijns@hetnet.nl

Raymond,
    I think that you are on a very excellent track with this composition!!!! I listened to it twice. I can get past the all the things that seem to get in the way of others realizing that this is a work in progress. It is not the finished item. The work itself is the most important thing. You have a clear view of where you are going with this. You have already demonstrated it. I enjoy the way the melody just carries you along.
    However, for me this could be a draw back.
    "FOR ME" I would like to see the violin melody have a little more thematic development. (this could be do to the fact that this is the way I think and not the way you think, which make music a beautiful thing for all of us)
    I was also not ready for first the ensemble entrance. I think that it is needed, but maybe just not in that position in time and / or maybe not untill there has been a little more development.
    Other wise......please stay on track.........it is a VERY nice piece and it needs your attention.
    This is just my two cents worth. But please do press on....it is a lovely composition.
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast