• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone knows a good viola da gamba?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone knows a good viola da gamba?

Hi! I love baroque music and I'm looking for a good Viola da gamba (basse de viole), and a good theorbo, I would like better if you give me references in these formats:*.Gig *.sf2 *.fxb or even reason nn-tx refills.I bought Kontakt Player 2 and I still have the problem that it says "installation folder not found" maybe I've installed it wrong and that's why I look for the viola and the theorbe to be used in by those formats.Hope you can help me Have a nice day.

Re: Anyone knows a good viola da gamba?

Well, Garritan is working on one to go with the cello and violin... but you probably mean *now*

Quote Originally Posted by loydb
    Well, Garritan is working on one to go with the cello and violin... but you probably mean *now*
    He's working on a Viola (da braccia); that's not the same as a Viola da gamba.

I'v been looking all over, too, to find a decent sampled viola da gamba, without success. The only samples I found were in Vol. 23 of the Soundscan collection:

http://www.ultimatesoundbank.com/soundscan.html?s=20.

I bought them because they are not very expensive, and, to be honest, I can't recommend them...

Indeed, viola da gamba and the viola da braccia are totaly different :

The viola da gamba is the predecessor of the modern cello. The viola da braccia was the predecessor of the modern-day violin and viola.
    (source : http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1022795)

Me too would be very interested with sound bank or vsti for that wonderfull instrument that is "viola da gamba"

Check "MOTU Symphonic Instrument Soundbanks" i think there is a viola da gamba

The viola da gamba is the predecessor of the modern cello.
    No it ain't. The modern cello (Violoncello (little big viola) da braccia) belongs to the Viola da braccia family, as does the volin (Violino (small viola) da braccia) and viola (Viola da braccia). The Viola da gamba family, with its multitude of sizes, is a completely different family.

Some general information, image and links:

The viola da gamba or "leg viol" saw its beginnings in 15th century Spain. Local guitarists (or as they were called "vihuelists") tried playing their instrument with a rabab bow (a bow for an instrument from North Africa), and the first viola da gamba was born.

The instrument retained everything from its original family: the frets, the tuning, and the playing position. It was held like a guitar, and was bowed vertically.

This instrument was quickly introduced into court circles in Naples, where the Italians started holding the instrument vertically and equipped the viol with a round bridge, essential to playing on one string at a time.

Soon afterwards instrument makers built the instruments in various sizes: treble, tenor, bass and double bass. The only rule for construction was the instrument builder's fantasy.
    Description above from Jonathan Dunford's Viola da Gamba page. Picture below from the Viola da Gamba Society of America:

One striking difference between the two families is the addition of frets to the da Gamba.

No it ain't. The modern cello (Violoncello (little big viola) da braccia) belongs to the Viola da braccia family, as does the volin (Violino (small viola) da braccia) and viola (Viola da braccia). The Viola da gamba family, with its multitude of sizes, is a completely different family.
    Sorry, my source was not trustfull.

At least, i think we all agree that viola da gamba has a very nice sound.
    Have you seen the french movie "tous les matins du monde" that tell the story of Marin marais and Mr de sainte colombe ?

Quote Originally Posted by valouz
    Have you seen the french movie "tous les matins du monde" that tell the story of Marin marais and Mr de sainte colombe ?
    No, unfortunately I missed it, when it ran in the local movie theatre. I heard, it is a very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson
    One striking difference between the two families is the addition of frets to the da Gamba.
    Also note the 6 strings, as opposed to the violin family's 4.
    And the "c" shaped sound holes, as opposed to the violin family's "f" holes. The shape affects the ressonance, I believe.

Go Back to forum