• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: To Gary Garritan

Share/Bookmark

To Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,

I put a message in the Listening Room suggesting that it may be better to make another Subject Page (or whatever you call it in technical terms), where people can discuss the various techniques NOT concerning the ones we already have, e.g. composition techniques, rendering techniques, etc.

Think it over, please.

Another thing.
    Last month I ordered at Amazon some orchestration books. They didn't arrive and I asked Amazon where they were lost or else. Amazon investigated the order and told me that the package was lost "somewhere in space" and promised me to send the same books once again. To my surprise I've got BOTH packages on the same day.

I told Amazon about this strange thing and told them that I was willing to send one of the packages back. Their reply was that it wasn't worth the effort and suggested that I could give it away.

Titles:
    The Technique of Orchestration, 6th edition, by K.Kennan and D.Grantham including a samples CD of the examples used
    Essential Dictionary of Orchestration [this is some sort of a lexicon explaining in short the character of the instruments, ranges, weak and strong register, etc.]

I am willing to send it to you, or to destine those books to whoever in your Forum. Let us say: some sort of competition and then NOT the winner because he/she doesn't need it or whatever you like.

Now those books are just collecting dust.

Raymond

Thumbs up Re: To Gary Garritan

A noble gesture for sure Mr. Raymond! Hey, do you happen to be havin' a copy of Alice in Wander-land?
    No, really ... a contest would be nice.
    Styxx

Re: To Gary Garritan

Hi Raymond,

I am not sure what type of new "techniques" section would be appropriate. Usually they are covered by Tips and Techniques or in the Listening Room as applied to particular works. You ask for "various techniques NOT concerning the ones we already have, e.g. composition techniques, rendering techniques, etc." If we can identify what this section can be about and there is interest then we can create such a section.

What do others think about such a new section?

And thanks for your generous offer! The Kennan book is excellent.

Perhaps we can just ask who would really benefit from these books and they can write a short post as to why they need them. And you can decide who should have them. Thanks for this offer!

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Hi Raymond,

I am not sure what type of new "techniques" section would be appropriate. Usually they are covered by Tips and Techniques or in the Listening Room as applied to particular works. You ask for "various techniques NOT concerning the ones we already have, e.g. composition techniques, rendering techniques, etc." If we can identify what this section can be about and there is interest then we can create such a section.
    We do have the GPO Acadamy. If you have composition/arranging/orchestration questions they can be posted here, as can ideas of how do things, tips, suggestions, etc. So far it is aimed more at classical, but I’m sure people could post jazz or rock/pop questions or lessons.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    We do have the GPO Acadamy.
    Overlooked that one. Thanks for reminding me. Gary, this is the answer.

Raymond

How about a drawing instead of a contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Hi Raymond, I am not sure what type of new "techniques" section .....
    I meant the GPO Academy. Somebody pointed this to me as the one I needed.
    And thanks for your generous offer! The Kennan book is excellent.
    Perhaps we can just ask who would really benefit from these books and they can write a short post as to why they need them. And you can decide who should have them. Thanks for this offer!
    One restriction. The guy who gets it, must put a piece of music in the Listening Room....... (just joking).

Who is willing to give up his privacy and send me by personal email his home address? Who thinks will benefit from this the most? Who is humble enough to admit that this book can add something to his skills... we are all professionals, aren't we [big grin]

Raymond

Academy

I'm humble enough to admit that I'm so very humble. I would benifit from it because I'm old, yet still a student and in apparent need of professional help. When I began the principals of orchestration class, i could not read music, now i know several things and I'm progressing nicely.

Email sent.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum