• Register
  • Help

Topic: Law Dept: US Copyright Office Approves Ringtone Licensing

Share/Bookmark

Law Dept: US Copyright Office Approves Ringtone Licensing

According to a report:
    The US Copyright Office has issued a decision ruling that ringtones that are excerpts of longer musical works or that are taken from existing sound may be considered original musical works in and of themselves...

"Ringtones that are merely excerpts of a pre-existing sound recording fall squarely within the scope of the statutory license, whereas those that contain additional material may actually be considered original derivative works and therefore outside the scope of the Section 115 license.

We also conclude that if a newly created ringtone is considered a derivative work, and the work has been first distributed with the authorization of the copyright owner, then any person may use the statutory license to make and distribute the musical work in the ringtone. "

Re: Law Dept: US Copyright Office Approves Ringtone Licensing

Well then! More chances for musicians to do work!

I do remember in the old days of mobiles, with the single tone phones (2nd generation was it? 1st?) I was composing for friends, every day. Silly little tunes which took 5 minutes to finish! At one point I was thinking of turning it into a business and so on, but never got around to it.

Ah well... At least I did learn to play all the games in all the mobiles, while wasting my time there. Especially while in the army

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    According to a report:

"We also conclude that if a newly created ringtone is considered a derivative work, and the work has been first distributed with the authorization of the copyright owner, then any person may use the statutory license to make and distribute the musical work in the ringtone. "
    Well ain't that just dandy.

Aha...,

the same as in germany......
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum