• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Deleted Partition...is This The End????

Share/Bookmark

Deleted Partition...is This The End????

Was trying to reformat a removable drive and selected the wrong drive.
    The one with all my samples!!
    In windows I went into Disk management and deleted partition and proceeded to start formatting the drive. It got to about 3% and that's when I realised I'm the biggest idiot on the planet.
    Does this mean the data is irretrievable? Is there some magic program to recover idiot's mistakes? (I know...I'm dreaming)
    Please tell me it's not so....

Re: Deleted Partition...is This The End????

Hi,
    If you started formatting the drive I don't know if there will be anything to save, I'm sure others will know. But I recently deleted some stuff by mistake and I downloaded a free utility called 'PC Inspector File Recovery' (I think) and that worked very well - I easily found the material I'd deleted.
    Might be worth a try.

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    In windows I went into Disk management and deleted partition and proceeded to start formatting the drive. It got to about 3% and that's when I realised I'm the biggest idiot on the planet.
    Does this mean the data is irretrievable? Is there some magic program to recover idiot's mistakes? (I know...I'm dreaming)
    Maybe look for "recover it all". It worked quite well for me after a HD crash:
    http://www.dtidata.com/recover_it_all.htm

Edit: They have a range of softwares:

http://www.dtidata.com/data_recovery_software.htm
    http://www.dtidata.com/file-recovery-programs.html

I phoned them when I had my problem, and they advised me about the right software for my problem. However in my case the directory structure was lost, so I had to sort thousands of files with DOS commands later.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

And try not to use that drive at all until you are ready to run the recovery. The more you fiddle with it, the more you may mess up your chances of recovering data.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The same thing happened to me 2 months ago...

...I feel your pain.

Get this software -- it's the best $50 you'll ever spend, and will come in handy later on as well in case you happen to delete anything:

File Scavenger
    http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

There is a trial version but it's rather limited. You can test to see if it finds anything before you buy it, but the software works so well I highly recommend it.

Looks like it's your secondary drive (otherwise Windows wouldn't have allowed you to format it), so this is fairly easy. You'll want to do a "defunct volume search" using that software. It will run a few hours, but it will find all your files provided that you haven't used your drive since you deleted the partition and started formatting it. Then, select the files you want to recover and copy them to some other hard disk (NOT to the one you're trying to recover from!).

In any case, I don't think there's a utility out there which will restore your drive to working condition as it was prior your partition deletion. The best you can do is get the files you need off that drive (by using the File Scavenger utility) and then reformat and copy the files back again.

Good Luck.

Even if you cannot recover... do not fret. I lost tons of music in a crash once, and the backups were faulty... it was a ton of work and I was very upset for months but eventually i moved on and just scavenged what material i could remember. Life goes on.

Formatting the drive shouldn't overwrite anything important so long as you left "quick format" (the default) checked. You can fix most problems with the free DiskProbe tool if you know what you're doing. If not, commercial disk recovery software is also quite good these days.

Regardless, reloading your samples from DVDs or redownloading them shouldn't take too long. All the sample developers here are nice guys who I'm sure would help out if there's anything they can do.

I have sucessfully used a program called r-studio a few times and recovered most of my files. The key is to not touch the drive until you get the software going, make sure you have another drive with enough room to recover all those files on your disk. Most formats don't really "erase" everything, they remove all the directories and leave the raw data there.
    Eric Matlock
    ericmatlock.com

If you get to the point where you've absolutely done everything you can think of and try, and don't want to spend thousands of dollars on having it recovered at the platter level, I'll be happy to give it a shot. I've got a bunch of different forensic drive software (I'm a comp security engineer IRL). I second what everyone else has said, don't have the drive plugged in at all except when trying to recover from it.

Good luck,
    loyd

Go Back to forum