• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Express 7.2: no separate tracks

Share/Bookmark

Logic Express 7.2: no separate tracks

Hi.
    I'm new to this forum, and I'm having problems getting GPO to play a string quartet, for instance, into individual tracks on Logic. My controller records the data onto each track, but Logic defaults only to the last midi channel (or instrument) used instead of giving me 4 different instruments. As a result I get only one instrument using the data on my four tracks (minus the notes that are out of range). And, all the audible parts pan only to that instrument's pan setting.

Which secret button have I not pushed?

Thanks in advance.

dicran

Re: Logic Express 7.2: no separate tracks

Quote Originally Posted by dicran
    Hi.
    I'm new to this forum, and I'm having problems getting GPO to play a string quartet, for instance, into individual tracks on Logic. My controller records the data onto each track, but Logic defaults only to the last midi channel (or instrument) used instead of giving me 4 different instruments. As a result I get only one instrument using the data on my four tracks (minus the notes that are out of range). And, all the audible parts pan only to that instrument's pan setting.

Which secret button have I not pushed?

Thanks in advance.

dicran
    Logic is kinda stupid about how it handles multi-instrument VIs like Kontakt. But take heart, all is not lost. Here's how you get multi instruments to play:

1. Select the Instrument 2 on the track page.
    2. on the left you'll notice all of the info in a small window/section. Go to Channel and hold down until you see all of the instruments pop out on a list.
    3. Move to highlight the initial instrument you loaded Kontakt into *most likely Instrument 1.
    4. Go back to that info window and go to MIDI channel. Scroll down to Midi Channel 2.

There you go. Now you should be able to trigger the second instrument in your multi without affecting the first instrument.

HOWEVER, if you have put in CC7 messages, ALL of the instruments in Kontakt will respond in unison. This is a major problem with the way Logic manages or handles multi-instrument plug-ins and is the reason why some people migrate to Cubase or MOTU DP. Hopefully Logic 8 will address this issue although I think it's endemic to the way the program is laid out.

Re: Logic Express 7.2: no separate tracks

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    Logic is kinda stupid about how it handles multi-instrument VIs like Kontakt. But take heart, all is not lost. Here's how you get multi instruments to play:

1. Select the Instrument 2 on the track page.
    2. on the left you'll notice all of the info in a small window/section. Go to Channel and hold down until you see all of the instruments pop out on a list.
    3. Move to highlight the initial instrument you loaded Kontakt into *most likely Instrument 1.
    4. Go back to that info window and go to MIDI channel. Scroll down to Midi Channel 2.

There you go. Now you should be able to trigger the second instrument in your multi without affecting the first instrument.

HOWEVER, if you have put in CC7 messages, ALL of the instruments in Kontakt will respond in unison. This is a major problem with the way Logic manages or handles multi-instrument plug-ins and is the reason why some people migrate to Cubase or MOTU DP. Hopefully Logic 8 will address this issue although I think it's endemic to the way the program is laid out.
    Actually it also relates to a major problem with Kontakt 2 that N.I. has admitted. There is no global way to tell it that CC11 i.e. should always be Expression.

Oddly you can with some of their other softsynths like FM8.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum