• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    102

    Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Hello,
    One of my friends who listened to this Gofriller demo said "Vienna's solo is like a good member of a string orchestra, but Garritan's Gofriller is very soloist." I agree with him.

    http://www.box.net/shared/kf8arfvvys
    G.F.haendel's Largo "Ombra mai fu"

    I made it using Overture4, and I used only its score window.
    Please enjoy it.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

  2. #2

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Hello, Tatsu

    This Largo is very elegantly played by you, showing off the Gofriller very well. Is that the GPO Harpshicord in your recording? Restraint and sensitivity--the key words for your work on this.

    Thank you so much.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  3. #3
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Very nice! This has always been one of my favorite Handel arias. Have you thought of adding strings? I admit that I am partial to it with a string accompaniment.

    One small thing: it could, perhaps, use some more ambience/reverb. It was a little too dry for my taste. But that is not to take away from the fine job you did. Sounds like Ove4 is a very capable program. I'll be interested in looking at it when thte Mac version finally arrives.

    Thanks for sharing this.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    102

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Tatsu

    This Largo is very elegantly played by you, showing off the Gofriller very well. Is that the GPO Harpshicord in your recording? Restraint and sensitivity--the key words for your work on this.

    Thank you so much.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hello, Randy

    Thanks. You often encourage me. I have been impressed by Gofriller since about 3 weeks ago when I bought it on impuls.
    The harpshicord I used isn't that of GPO but the PMI historic keyboards library. I wanted faint release noise.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

  5. #5

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Hi, Tatsu

    Thanks for coming back with information on the Harpsichord. Interesting--you wanted a softer release sound than GPO. Yes, I believe you're right that GPO's Harpsichord does have a rather noticeable note release sound, the mechanics of the string being released. That of course works fine for pieces less delicate than what you posted.

    By the way, now that I'm here again, I wanted to say that the levels of reverb to use seems to be one of the most subjective things in recordings--Tastes vary so much on that. Ron would like to hear more reverb on your recording, but after taking another listen, I know that the level you have is just perfect for me.

    I hear quite a bit of reverb in your recording, the musicians definitely sound like they're in a hall, but they're not so terribly distant the way so many recordings place them--I much prefer the more intimate results you have, with the venue's sound heard, but with the instruments still close enough that I feel I have good front row seats!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    102

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Very nice! This has always been one of my favorite Handel arias. Have you thought of adding strings? I admit that I am partial to it with a string accompaniment.

    One small thing: it could, perhaps, use some more ambience/reverb. It was a little too dry for my taste. But that is not to take away from the fine job you did. Sounds like Ove4 is a very capable program. I'll be interested in looking at it when thte Mac version finally arrives.

    Thanks for sharing this.
    Hello, Ron

    Thanks for your kind comment. I became aware for the first time of that strings will get along with cello in this music. And I'll try to use more reverb. I guess it will become too beautiful.

    I believe Gofriller and Overture4 are each other's great partner as the result of having made two demos, although I have some requests for Overture's modification.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    The Gofriller sounds great here. You did a very good job getting a realistic sound.
    Trent P. McDonald

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    102

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    By the way, now that I'm here again, I wanted to say that the levels of reverb to use seems to be one of the most subjective things in recordings--Tastes vary so much on that. Ron would like to hear more reverb on your recording, but after taking another listen, I know that the level you have is just perfect for me.
    Hi, Randy

    I feel the same way. My friend who heard its intermediate version told me that it was too wet and he wanted to hear more dry sound. But I didn't go along with his advice. As for myself, I can't always make up my mind about how much reverb I should use.
    I find Gofriller sounds brighter and more lifelike when I use less reverb, but I felt this music might require wet sound in some degree.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

  9. #9

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    Tatsu, a very sensitive and thoughtful rendition of this
    enchanting emotive Handel aria.

    Thank you for this, Tatsu: much enjoyed!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  10. #10

    Re: Haendel "Ombra mai fu" with Gofriller

    I really enjoyed this - a fine renderng! You mentioned that the Gofriller was an impulse buy. The more you use it, you will discover that it may have been more of a yearning from your heart to play more expressive music.

    Regards - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

    http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •