• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recommended Sound Cards with Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Recommended Sound Cards with Sibelius

Hi
    I am about to buy new computers for a school music department. They use Sibelius 4 with Kontakt Player and Midi Keyboards. We have previously had Creative Audigy 2ZS sound cards but have experienced a number of problems the most recent of which has been that some of the sounds seem to get lost (maybe the violin or a flute etc.) until the computer is reset.
    As I am about to buy a spend a lot of money on this we would like to get it right. The computers will be Intel Core Duo machines with 1GB memory and Realtek ALC860 on board sound.
    One recent suggestion has been to use the onboard sound card, Kontakt player and a USB/ midi convertor for the keyboard. Can anyone envisage problems with this?
    Our alternative is to find a good sound card which has midi on it. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?
    Our Music department want the best sound card in the world however I do not want to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Any assistance would be greatly received.

Thanks

Re: Recommended Sound Cards with Sibelius

What operating system will you be using? Given the many compatibility issues with Vista and music software and/or driver issues, dedicated DAW builders have been recommending people stay with XP at this point, that Vista for serious music use is still several months to a year away at the very least.

Not a direct answer to your question, but something to consider.

If you are staying with XP, and only need one midi in and one midi out, with just two channels of audio the M-Audio Audiophile cards would be worth checking out. The 24/96 runs for about $100, and the 192 for $175, though it also has the advantage of balanced outs in addition to the higher sample rate. AFAIK M-Audio does not yet provide any Vista drivers for them. Also, XP Media Center has been know to cause problems as well, so your best bet may be either XP Pro or Home.

For serious music recording/composition, the Creative cards are generally NOT recommended, due to latency, drop-outs, overall sound quality, etc.

Am sure that others with far more experience than I will chime in as well.

Jim

Hi
    Thanks for the input. We are using Xp - no plans for Vista for some time. We have been experimenting today with onboard sound and usb keyboard but are experiencing latency problems when recording from the keyboard through Sibelius. We then tried an Alesis Ioi2 USB external gadget which we were given on trial being assured that this would solve all of our problems. this however also has the latency problems. I presume we must be missing something. I am afraid I do not understand these things and our Music people just understand the music! Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

You might get a better response if you posted an OT request in one of the more active areas of the forum. Not that many people search this particular area. If you haven't already done so, you might try posting your question on the Sibelius site. Generally speaking, USB devices have far more latency problems than PCI cards. Most would recommend against using USB, if possible (though some have had success).

Hopefully you will get some more responses from those with more experience than me. I do not have enough technical knowledge to be able to give detailed answers. I fall in the budget end of things, and PCI was strongly recommended to me, as was M-Audio by the builder of my current system, given my fiinancial constraints.

HTH

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    Hi
    I am about to buy new computers for a school music department. They use Sibelius 4 with Kontakt Player and Midi Keyboards. We have previously had Creative Audigy 2ZS sound cards but have experienced a number of problems the most recent of which has been that some of the sounds seem to get lost (maybe the violin or a flute etc.) until the computer is reset.
    As I am about to buy a spend a lot of money on this we would like to get it right. The computers will be Intel Core Duo machines with 1GB memory and Realtek ALC860 on board sound.
    One recent suggestion has been to use the onboard sound card, Kontakt player and a USB/ midi convertor for the keyboard. Can anyone envisage problems with this?
    Our alternative is to find a good sound card which has midi on it. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?
    Our Music department want the best sound card in the world however I do not want to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Any assistance would be greatly received.

Thanks
    What do you mean by "find a good sound card which has midi on it" ? If you are referring to built in midi sounds then they are non existent. You could go with the sounds built in Sibelius.

As for good sound cards there are plenty out there 100$ and up.

Do your keyboards connect through USB? If they do, you can use the sounds built into Sib, but you should also gey Sib "Gold" and possibly GPO.

If your midi keyboards connect through midi, you will need a midi device to connect the two EJ

Hi
    Sorry I don't know all the correct terminology but I need a soundcard with a midi connector so that the keyboard can connect to it. But there don't seem to be many like this.
    Thanks

The M-Audio Audiophile cards include a midi in and out connector.

It might not be a bad idea to do some research on the web. Stores like Sweetwater, and others, do a decent job of listing what is included in the different cards. Doing so could help you get a clearer idea of what you are looking for.

Jim

The Echo MIA MIDI has a midi connector on it and I think some of their other soundcards do: the GINA 3G.

Marko

Thanks for all you replies to this thread. We are currently testing with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again.

Go Back to forum