• Register
  • Help

Topic: New user - KP2 and other questions

Share/Bookmark

New user - KP2 and other questions

EDIT- my apologies for posting in the incorrect area- I hit the wrong "support and technical" link

Hi, just got GPO last week and am starting to play around with it. Seems to work good so far, my inexperience with orchestration being the biggest problem I'm running into I am using Cubase SE on a dual P4 2ghz with 2 gb RAM and a Delta 1010LT soundcard; My OS is Windows XP. I have a few things I'd like to clarify. I've tried to get answers by seaching in the forum but haven't had luck (or definitive answers) with the following:

1) One problem I am having is that I have to jiggle the mod wheel for each loaded instrument to get it's level to a playable state. In reading through the forum it sounds like this is an issue which can be overcome with a cc message at the beginning of the track. Is there any other way to have the sounds load at a decent level that I may not have read about?

2) There doesn't appear to be any software bundled on the DVD whereas I seem to remember reading reviews which mentioned Cubase LE (redundant in my case) and Overture SE being included with GPO. No big deal but I would like to mess around with notation at some point I'm sure. Has the bundle been discontinued?

3) I see a LOT of threads about the Kontakt 2 player, problems with it and so forth, but cannot find anything that actually describes the features I would gain by updating to it. If my main intention is to use GPO as a VST plugin in Cubase SE, what would be the advantage of getting K2, and is it stable at this point? It seems that MacIntel compatibility (which doesn't affect me) and Garritan Studio improvements (I understand that the Studio is only relevant in using scoring\playing standalone?) are the major desirable features?

Any enlightenment would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by chesterdesmond; 05-22-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wrong area

Re: New user - KP2 and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by chesterdesmond
    1) One problem I am having is that I have to jiggle the mod wheel for each loaded instrument to get it's level to a playable state. In reading through the forum it sounds like this is an issue which can be overcome with a cc message at the beginning of the track. Is there any other way to have the sounds load at a decent level that I may not have read about?
    The new KP2 update alleviates this nuisance.

2) There doesn't appear to be any software bundled on the DVD whereas I seem to remember reading reviews which mentioned Cubase LE (redundant in my case) and Overture SE being included with GPO. No big deal but I would like to mess around with notation at some point I'm sure. Has the bundle been discontinued?
    Yes.
    3) I see a LOT of threads about the Kontakt 2 player, problems with it and so forth, but cannot find anything that actually describes the features I would gain by updating to it. If my main intention is to use GPO as a VST plugin in Cubase SE, what would be the advantage of getting K2, and is it stable at this point? It seems that MacIntel compatibility (which doesn't affect me) and Garritan Studio improvements (I understand that the Studio is only relevant in using scoring\playing standalone?) are the major desirable features?
    See Tom Hopkins' Official release announcement.
    One nice feature is, that you can create your own multis.
    There's a pitchbend range control.
    And wheel controlled instruments now load at a modest mod wheel level.
    KP2's audio engine is newer and better. And you can apply effects (reverb, convolution, EQ etc.) to the Player's output - in the Player.

Re: New user - KP2 and other questions

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the new player was so recently released. The features look good to me!

ps I enjoyed the first few tunes at your site; interesting style of playing.
    Last edited by chesterdesmond; 05-22-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: more info

Go Back to forum