• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac Notation software

Share/Bookmark

Question Mac Notation software

Hello:
    I'm a new member and would like to say hello to all members-- hope to hear from some of you soon.
    I'm looking for a software program that will work on a Mac that (according to rumour) can take CD's and automatically notate individual cuts. By the same token it can automatically notate whatever you input through keyboard, midi or otherwise.
    I already own Finale and find it cumbersome, especially for 20th Century notation -- any recommendations most welcome, though am on a limited budget (aren't we all)
    cheers
    Michael

Re: Mac Notation software

Quote Originally Posted by mtrewis
    I'm looking for a software program that will work on a Mac that (according to rumour) can take CD's and automatically notate individual cuts.
    Welcome. It sounds like somebody has been pulling your leg and had a good time with it. I am sure such software is a wet dream of many lazy people, but reality? Unlikely.

I spent many hours (40+) transcribing some songs off of a CD of a band for someone. (A paid job.) After I delivered the person the printed scores, she claimed I charged way too much, and I had simply played back the music in a "notator program" which just spit out the notes!

The lead sheets had chord symbols, lyrics, everything. I tried to tell her that there was no such program that could notate out music from a recording, nor automatically create chord symbols, lyrics, tempo indications, etc.

But she did not ever believe me. She finally wrote out a check to me in disgust just to end the debate. Whew!

You should check out melodyne http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.ph...roducts_studio

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it does come close.

I had read somewhere that allegedly something does exist to do this (I was particularly interested in converting an old piano recording to midi data to re-record in pristine digital quality). - But I didn't get to the bottom of it in the end - I think a firm had developed their own software/method for a price, but it was not publicly available.

Go Back to forum