• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT (But need help if possible)

Share/Bookmark

OT (But need help if possible)

When a score indicates lines going from one note in part one (in this case Oboe 1 and Oboe 2) to a note in part two in a criss cross style, what playstyle does this seem to be referencing? I can't find any info about this. Basically oboe 1 is playing a note then a line is written from that note down to a note in the Oboe 2 line. obviously they want some kind of note flow between the instruments but what is it exactly? anyone know?

Re: OT (But need help if possible)

i have no idea what you are talking about. maybe with a little more info i'd be able to help, but probably not - i'm pretty dumb.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    When a score indicates lines going from one note in part one (in this case Oboe 1 and Oboe 2) to a note in part two in a criss cross style, what playstyle does this seem to be referencing? I can't find any info about this. Basically oboe 1 is playing a note then a line is written from that note down to a note in the Oboe 2 line. obviously they want some kind of note flow between the instruments but what is it exactly? anyone know?
    I'm not too sure either of what you mean. Trying to visualise your description; in piano music a line drawn from a note forming part of the melody line down to a note in another part .. say the bass clef .. is often meant to point out that both notes form part of the melody, even though the other note visually may be 'buried' in the other part and should be 'brought out'. I'm not saying this is what your example means but this is all I can think of from your description.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This is just a guess on my part, but if it is two lines crissXcross as you say, then perhaps the arranger wants the oboes to trade parts. It is a cool sound when the notes in a chord don't change, but the notes are traded between voices.

Dan

Thanks, I think it is that the notes "move" but the chords don't. This is indicated between 2 oboes, and then 2 flutes and 2 horns. Its also part of a general musical soundscape being produced (in this case "nighttime") so I think its to maintain movement amidst general "stillness"

Go Back to forum