• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with sustain pedal

Share/Bookmark

Help with sustain pedal

Hi guys, I'm a self-professed MIDIot. I know enough to put the cables together and hope it all comes out. Sometimes it does. I can't seem to trigger the articulations with the foot pedal. I've tried different settings, (I'm using the Jazz & Big Band library as a plug-in for Digital Performer). Everything else seems to work fine, the sounds are great, mod wheel is... wheeling. I just don't hear any difference with the sustain pedal pressed, and it's frustrating the heck out of me. All the manual says is cc64. What is cc64 and where can I buy one? (g) Anything I need to re-patch somewhere? Where do I start to unravel the mystery that is cc64?

Thanks

Re: Help with sustain pedal

Hi, Reeltime

cc64--"continuous controller # 64," is the data that a sustain pedal normally generates.

To make sure you're getting this data in your project correctly, I suggest you go to the Piano Roll View---DP has something like that?--and in the controller window, manually insert cc64 exactly where you want it. That way, you'll know if your test is being done accurately.

Example--You have a passage which you want played Legato. You've made sure that all the notes overlap at least the tiniest amount--that's critical, or you won't get the Legato effect.

Directly AFTER the on set of the first note in the passage, draw in cc64 at the maximum level--which is 127. Now, that cc64 data will tell the following notes to not play their opening attacks--that's the clever way the Garritan instruments create the Legato effect.

At the end of the passage, either during the final note or right after it, insert cc64 value of Zero. Now the Legato mode has been switched off.

You could record this data with your sustain pedal--your timing may not be exactly right on, as described above, that's why I'm suggesting you try drawing it in.

When you play back this segment of your project, you should be hearing the nice Legato that you want.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Here is a screenshot from DP to show what Randy is talking about...

MP3 without CC64 data

MP3 with CC64 data

Dan

Excellent, Dan

The screen shot should make it more clear to Reeltime than my verbal explanation.

And it's instructive to me also, because I use Sonar, and wasn't sure how things work or how they look in DP.

Interesting that the controller data is superimposed on top of the notes in DP rather than being in a controller pane window under the notes, like in Sonar and Cubase.

Thanks.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Question Re: Help with sustain pedal

DP and Randy,
    There is a difference between overlapping notes and overlapping notes with CC64 turned on?!

I am such an idiot....time to go do more editing tonight!

DP, that screen shot of DP (not you, the program) sure makes a great case for the software. I have *always* wanted CC data superimposed on my piano scroll. SX goes half way with the automation below the notes, but for things like sustain having it superimposed is a much better solution. Can that be done with all CC data?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

"...There is a difference between overlapping notes and overlapping notes with CC64 turned on?!..."

hehe--um, Yeah, there's a big difference.

Overlapping notes gets you half way to Legato-land, but with the great Garritan programming of then also switching on cc64, you have the interior notes of your passage playing with their initial attacks truncated.

Look at the nice little picture in the GPO and JABB manuals where they talk about Legato--it graphically shows you how this is the way in which the Garritan instruments simulate natural acoustic sound so realistically.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by LFO

DP, that screen shot of DP (not you, the program) sure makes a great case for the software. I have *always* wanted CC data superimposed on my piano scroll. SX goes half way with the automation below the notes, but for things like sustain having it superimposed is a much better solution. Can that be done with all CC data?

-Kevin
    you bet it can Kevin, the graphic editor (shift G) allows the data to be shown at the bottom, and any number of midi tracks can be viewed together in the same window. see quicktime video I made just for you

The sequence editor (shift S) is where I spend all of my midi time in DP.
    You can click on the quick filter button, and it will hide all the data except what you have chosen in the view menu, (lefthand side of the SE window). If you don't want to hide the data, the modwheel, sustain pedal, note velocities, pitchbend, ... all data is displayed with the notes. You can easily scroll the notes up or down to separate them from the cc data.

One of the most beautiful things about DP, is that it does just about anything your heart desires, and allows you to accomplish these things in a number of ways that is most comfortable to you.
    see quicktime video
    sorry about the less than ideal quality...
    Dan

Smile Re: Help with sustain pedal

Dan,
    Those videos should be purchased by MOTU and used to promote DP. Your 20 seconds of video did a better job of showing me how great the program is than anything MOTU has. Thanks!

-Kevin

(Currently on negotiations for a DAW upgrade. )
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum