• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Classical Hoedown" (rewrite, with synths)

Share/Bookmark

"Classical Hoedown" (rewrite, with synths)

This is a rewrite of my "Classical Hoedown" .

All of the strings are GPO. The synthesizer samples are from the Kontakt 2 library.

Larry

Edit: I have reprogrammed the synth voices and remixed this work.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Classical Hoedown" (rewrite, with synths)

Ah, good deal--My wish was granted. I've been waiting semi-patiently for a new Larry Alexander piece, now here it is.

Wonderful! OH man, I love the blend of the "Clockwork Orange"-like synth sounds with the strings. It works so well!

The happy, classically constructed Alexanderesque composition is really nice too.

One minor technical thing I feel could be improved is the reverb level on the lower strings. Those samples seem to have some natural ambience built in to them, and quickly become a bit boomy when more than a touch of reverb is added to them. Some bass roll off in the EQ helps with that issue also. Do you hear that? Could just be my ears.

In any case--THanks for this, Larry. I love it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Ah, good deal--My wish was granted. I've been waiting semi-patiently for a new Larry Alexander piece, now here it is.

Wonderful! OH man, I love the blend of the "Clockwork Orange"-like synth sounds with the strings. It works so well!

The happy, classically constructed Alexanderesque composition is really nice too.

One minor technical thing I feel could be improved is the reverb level on the lower strings. Those samples seem to have some natural ambience built in to them, and quickly become a bit boomy when more than a touch of reverb is added to them. Some bass roll off in the EQ helps with that issue also. Do you hear that? Could just be my ears.

In any case--THanks for this, Larry. I love it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for your comments, Brother Bowser.

I believe that it is a bit "boomy" on the low end. I could probably remix with equalization if I really knew what I was doing...but I really don't know what I'm doing.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

hehe--well you sure have SOme idea of what you're doing, Larry.

You use a notation program I think? When it comes to a mix-down, do you just pretty much let it fly the way it is, without doing audio mixing and EQing etc?

I've never used a notation program, so I'm always a bit unclear about what it is people go through when they use that kind of software. Is it possible to strap an EQ on an individual track so it can be balanced in better with the rest?--You Can add different amounts of reverb to different instruments, right?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Brother Bowser,

I don't use a notation program. I utilize Sonar 6 with Kontakt 2.

Yes, I am able to add different amounts of reverberation to different tracks.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Oh, OK--Well then, I would suggest that on the Cello and Contra Bass tracks, that you either reduce the reverb send to a minimum, or none at all. Then, in the FX bins for those tracks, put in EQs and just do a simple bass roll off--test it until it's less boomy, and Voila--cleaner mix.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Most of this goes together rather nicely; but one of those
    synth voices (the one that sounds like angry bees) -- that
    one, I dunno... for some reason it doesn't want to blend
    with the other boys and girls. Maybe the reverb (or lack
    thereof) on it?

Randy's suggestions concerning managing the GPO strings
    reverb better I would say are likewise right on point.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It is catching. My feet can't stay still, tapping ....all over the floor under my desk. Typical Larry. Now for a full orchestral performance with The Texas Symphony Orchestra. The audience will dance through the ailes (spelling?).

For a late thursday evening, very nice piece. Thanks Larry.
    Hurai!!!

Raymond

Thanks for listening and for the suggestions, all.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

a really interesting blend, Larry, and not too dissimilar in terms of frequencies than the harpsicord/strings combination. I find this an interesting field to explore...

ciao

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast