• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Debussy's Mouvement orchestrated

Share/Bookmark

Debussy's Mouvement orchestrated

GPO orchestrated Debussy: Mouvement

I took the piano piece and orchestrated it as an excercise. Its always played so fast...I slowed it down a little.
    I did it using a midi from http://www.classicalarchives.com/debussy_hl.html .There is also a audio perfomance available there, also.
    I had great fun doing this.
    Just for kicks, if your interested, this is my synth version Non-GPO.

Re: Debussy's Mouvement orchestrated

Hi, Squoze

DEFinitely a totally different sound for Debussy than I've ever heard before. And I enjoyed it!--Something like watching/listening to the Disney Electric Light Parade, with a more sophisticated composition.

You worked from an existing MIDI file you found online. Interesting--I wonder if that's done often, I've never tried that. I've always started from scratch.

You said "this is my synth version"--and you weren't kidding around! There aren't any Garritan sounds in the project. ---

Recently we've been talking about the procedures for posting music here in The Listening Room. I'm rather sure the consensus is that the point is to post music which uses Garritan libraries--hence the name of the Forum.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hey,

you have done it cool! A nice and balanced arrangement. (Orchestra-version)

Why didn`t you used a or more reverb?

The synth version is also coooool!

My best,

Guther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Squoze

DEFinitely a totally different sound for Debussy than I've ever heard before. And I enjoyed it!--Something like watching/listening to the Disney Electric Light Parade, with a more sophisticated composition.

You worked from an existing MIDI file you found online. Interesting--I wonder if that's done often, I've never tried that. I've always started from scratch.

You said "this is my synth version"--and you weren't kidding around! There aren't any Garritan sounds in the project. ---

Recently we've been talking about the procedures for posting music here in The Listening Room. I'm rather sure the consensus is that the point is to post music which uses Garritan libraries--hence the name of the Forum.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

he posted a version with GPO here, and the synth version is only an addition to show how different it sounds between an orchestra and a synth... .

He he, I think that is permitted to him!

Thanks again for letting us hear both versions, Squoze

Oh!---Did I hear that before? It's on a different post then and not here--right?

COnfused --I'll go look! Thanks!

EDIT: AH! I did not notice the first word in the post was a link--I thought you were just titling your message. My dumbness--Though, making it clear that you have two versions posted for us might prevent somebody else from making the same mistake.

NOW I hear the GPO version--Playing it now--Nice nice nice! WHat a great post, with the two versions.

OK, I'm a fan--Leaving in my initial confusion on this message, because that's the history of my adventure here!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Oh!---Did I hear that before? It's on a different post then and not here--right?

COnfused --I'll go look! Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

look at the first line in his first post here: Mouvement

Thanks guys for listening and comments. Sorry about the confusion of the 2 mp3s.
    Thanks for the reverb feedback--basically, I don't know what I'm doing and was scared to overdo it.

it was ... interesting ... is the least I can say.
    it was certainly not characteristic.

I don't know, did you also examine the score while doing the realization?

My main problem with it was the changes to dynamics and the considerably more subdued accents than I'm used to. There are pedal effets in the piano version (at least the way I play it!) that didn't get translated into your orchestral version. I'm not convinced. Some of the melodic aspects seem to be missing as well. For example, on page 3 of the score there's these rising bass octaves on Bb with a swell then diminuendo in the score. They seem to be missing from your orchestration. And I seem to hear notes that are not IN the Debussy score on page 5? Did you take a bit of liberty with filling in harmony?

Anyways, it was interesting, but I can't say I'm convinced. I definately didn't like the slow tempo, but I might be considered a purist. The indicated tempo really DOES say to play it fast - "Animé (avec une légèreté fantasque mais précise)".

Thanks for your comments cowboy. I was hoping I would get some input from someone familar with this tune.

I was inspired by what Isao Tomita has done in his interpretations of music, particularly Debussy's piano works.

I'm sure you're right on with everything you're saying. I really wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, just having fun using GPO, turning the peice inside out.

I took many liberties with this, obviously. I've never seen a score. I barely can play piano, definitely not a trained musician. I did add many notes.

Thanks again, it was not meant to offend.

Hello again, Squoze

I'm still embarrassed that I couldn't see both of your links at first! lol--OH well, at least I eventually got to hear your two different files, and I enjoyed them both very much.

But I'm actually here in response to your most recent addition to this thread. It brings up the very interesting topic about re-interpreting classical music and how to deal with the expectations of two very different groups--Purists, and Laymen.

Qccowboy's response to what you did was from the viewpoint of a purist. He didn't like the way you took out some notes and added others. He didn't like the tempo you used, and how the original piano pedaling seems to have been ignored. He found your results "unconvincing" because he thinks the only proper way to approach a piece like this is to perform it as accurately as possible.

I can see that some of what he objected to were actually not your own choices, since you worked from the MIDI file that someone else created. But regardless of that, I liked your response, that you were "...just having fun with GPO..."

To me, that is a full and legitimate motivation for doing a recording. But then, I'm not any kind of purist--that's the last thing I could be described as. Whatever kind of re-working and editing you did on purpose or just inherited from the MIDI file--it's all fine with me, because the Only thing I care about is what I hear--the results.

You demonstrate a love of music, a cleverness, a Joy in your recordings which are the elements that make it enjoyable to listen to and a "success."

But this is NOT to say that a classically trained musician like Qccowboy is "wrong" in expecting and even demanding a more absolute adherence to the source material. He clearly would prefer to just hear a good concert pianist perform the work as closely to the way it was originally created as possible, and that's not an unreasonable preference.

At the same time, I don't think you need to defend what you've done, and feel apologetic for it. You just have to remember that when you start working with known, classical music, you will Always risk the disapproval of purists, of the academically inclined. You can shrug it off and be content that other untrained people are going to enjoy your work, or you can develop a strong theory about why you think re-writing the classics is a legitimate exercise.

OR you can focus on just working with your own original material.----

Nobody's wrong, nobody's right--I just wanted to add some thoughts here about what this thread made me think of.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast