• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can somone lend a newbie a hand?

Share/Bookmark

Can somone lend a newbie a hand?

Hey folks. I've got a quick simple question. I'm using Overture SE 3.5 and --of course-- GPO. Anyway, I've just finished my first song and I need to know how to save it using the high quality sounds Garritan has. I can only export a less than stellar sounding MIDI file from Overture. I'm sure it is incredibly obvious and the answer is probably staring me in the face. Yet, I can't figure out how to do it. I couldn't find anything in the manual telling me how to do it either.

Sorry I'm such a clueless newbie...

Thanks for your time!

Re: Can somone lend a newbie a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nelson
    Hey folks. I've got a quick simple question. I'm using Overture SE 3.5 and --of course-- GPO. Anyway, I've just finished my first song and I need to know how to save it using the high quality sounds Garritan has. I can only export a less than stellar sounding MIDI file from Overture. I'm sure it is incredibly obvious and the answer is probably staring me in the face. Yet, I can't figure out how to do it. I couldn't find anything in the manual telling me how to do it either.

Sorry I'm such a clueless newbie...

Thanks for your time!
    This applies to Overture 4:

1. Open VST -> Instrument Rack
    2. There (left side) click on Load Instrument and open the GPO player
    3. In the player load one instrument into each slot, e. g. Vl1 into slot 1, Vl2 into slot 2 etc.
    4. Close the player
    5. Go to Window -> Tracks window
    6. Assign each track to the GPO player and to the midi channel corresponding to the number you gave them in step 3.
    7. Right-click on the beginning of each stave and then to "Track properties".
    8. Chose the GPO player there (again, if not already selected)
    9. Click on Patch/Instrument and select the GPO instrument.
    10. If you are asked about using the articulations according to this instrument say yes.
    11. Repeat 7 - 10 for each instrument.

Now your basic setup is done. You can save this as a template if you want to.

Now write your music using lots of dynamics. Open them by double-clicking now and then and assure that they apply to cc#01.

Now if you want to render the sound to file click on
    12. VST -> Record to file. Give the file a name.
    13. After that go to the beginning of your piece and hit play until the music is done.

If this works try to improve the sound by inserting a reverb in the effects under VST -> Instrument Rack (right side there).

Hope this helps,
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Unfortunately, I can't do any of that with just the demo version...
    Is there any way to do it with Overture 3.5?

The recording is done from GPO Studio - make sure you have the latest update (check the Garritan website). Basically, hit Record in GPO Studio, the click your Overture file to start it playing - when done you will have a WAV/AIFF file of your piece.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ok, well, to get the updates I have to register the program, but I already registered it on my old computer. (I was going to fiddle with this later.) But How can I register it to my new computer?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

I don't think Studio requires any registration.
    And GPO you can register on two computers. Just do as you did on the first computer.

Mr. Nelson, did your copy of GPO come with the Cubase LE program? If so, it could be an easier process to figure out to use that instead of Overture.

You would need to save your project as a MIDI file, then open it up in Cubase, assigning tracks to GPO instruments, much the same as Hannes described doing in Overture.

But it's an audio/MIDI program, perhaps more user friendly for doing the basic job of recording projects.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Mr. Nelson, did your copy of GPO come with the Cubase LE program? If so, it could be an easier process to figure out to use that instead of Overture.

You would need to save your project as a MIDI file, then open it up in Cubase, assigning tracks to GPO instruments, much the same as Hannes described doing in Overture.

But it's an audio/MIDI program, perhaps more user friendly for doing the basic job of recording projects.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Yes it came with Cubase, so I tried saving it through that instead. Unfortunately... It didnt work. It created the MP3 file with the correct length but there is no sound. I can play the song in Cubase just fine but as soon as I save it, there is no sound whatsoever. Any Ideas?

Hello again, Mr. Nelson

Sorry you had trouble with Cubase. I might be able to help.

OK, you say you can play your project in Cubase. Good, that means you have GPO inserted along with your MIDI tracks.

The next step isn't just "saving"--it's making the recording. Two ways to do that--exporting or bouncing down inside the project to a 2 track.

Every soft synth instrument, like those in GPO, needs two tracks in a project. One track is the MIDI info, the other is the VSTi track, which is the audio track through which the actual GPO sound is played.

Don't forget that Cubase has an extensive mixer, with faders you can automate--You want to tweak your project the most you can in that mixer first. Add the reverb and other effects you want, tweak the volumes of tracks through each second of the song.

When you're ready for mix down you need to make sure the time line for the entire project is chosen at the very top of the track display. That can be a little tricky in Cubase--but when you have it right, its a glowing light blue.

THen, this is the part you probably skipped during your experiment--you need to be sure you have all the appropriate tracks selected--not just the MIDI tracks, but the corresponding VSTi tracks--two for each instrument, as explained above.

Then export (or mix down to another track)--
    BUT!---You do NOT want to mix down to an MP3. You want to mix down to a .wav file. If you want to have MP3s of your music to share, then make the MP3 from the .wav file. Otherwise, to use an anology with paper, it would be like choosing a low grade photo copy over an original document.

Hope that gets you going.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Every soft synth instrument, like those in GPO, needs two tracks in a project. One track is the MIDI info, the other is the VSTi track, which is the audio track through which the actual GPO sound is played.

When you're ready for mix down you need to make sure the time line for the entire project is chosen at the very top of the track display. That can be a little tricky in Cubase--but when you have it right, its a glowing light blue.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Are you saying I should only have two tracks total when I try to export the song? Or that I should have two tracks per part? And how would I go about selecting the entire timeline? Also, how do I set up the VSTi tracks?

Go Back to forum