• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Letting Go" - and 2 Oldies Revisted

Share/Bookmark

Post "Letting Go" - and 2 Oldies Revisted

hello everyone. i have finally FINISHED a piece for once. normally i get into it then think of a new tune and leave the old one on the back burner, but alas, i did it. it could probably be used as an intro to a larger piece, but that will have to wait until a MUCH MUCH later date. anyway, here it is - "Letting Go"

also, i have two tunes that i posted a while back using the strad and gofriller that i've done a lot to since - they are currently diagnosed with backburneritis. think of them as hidden bonus tracks on a CD (or in this case, torture)

Song 1

Song 2 - pretty scary, so don't listen to it in the dark (i warned you)

***They are all located on my Current Projects Page
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: "Letting Go" - and 2 Oldies Revisted

Hi, Keith

"Letting Go" had me doing exactly that--letting go, eagerly going with the enticing, peaceful wash your lushess music gently pulled me into.

I so admire the serenity and beauty of this. Those are attributes I can only very seldomly come close to with my own music.

So--Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

You've really hit the mark, emotively, on Letting Go, Keith;
    there are some golden lines and moments of silken beauty
    in this. But I also must agree with you that this is largely
    introductory, in feel, to me -- it lays before us these
    wonderful moments; but then leaves one wanting to hear
    more about the implications and development of them.

Some really lovely string and melodic work in Song 1, Keith...
    absolutely gorgeous; though you lost me on quite where
    you were headed with that segment around 1:11. From the
    general structure of it, I'm guessing there's some "back story"
    to this? Song 2... love it -- this is classic "don't look in that
    closet" writing, really well done.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello again, Keith

This time I listened to "Song 1." Nice shimmering texture with the solo strings poignantly singing to in their spotlight positions.

I see that David inquired about the major shift that happens around 1:11--That certainly does take one by surprise. And then there's the return to the opening part in a new form, finally left unresolved, with the impression that this crying Strad will keep continuing out of our ear-shot.

Curious structure!--A heavy dose of Portamento throughout which felt a bit out of control.

It left me wondering, and I enjoyed the short journey--Is this off the back burner you were mentioning, and is now complete--or--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

"Letting Go" is really nice. In the beginning, it's as if the strings, building then cutting off, parallel the process of wanting something but having to leave it.

"Song 1" is fantastic. At one point, I started paying attention to the tremolo string accompaniment, and it does seem a little repetitive. However, as the center of the piece, the violin is amazing throughout.

Nice trilogy, Keith. Good use of the Strad and Gofriller, also a good technique of "in and out" voices with different instrumentation. Enjoyed all.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

randy - thank you for your kind words, but don't sell yourself short. you definitely have your fair share of beautiful music (much more than me i must say). and about my two "on he shelf" songs - the first of the two is something that i have no idea what i'll do with, if anything at all. its a shame because i really liked the melody, but i don't really have anywhere to go with it. maybe it will just hit me one day. the second one (the darker one) is something that i worked on for a while until i ran into problems with the gofriller, so i moved on to other things - but i am happy to report that the gofriller problem vanished with the new update. i kind of know where i'm going with that piece, but now i'll actually be able to write it out.

david - thank you for your comments, and yes i agree about the 1:11 mark. like i was saying to randy, i just didn't know how to get out of that pulse feel, so i just through in a little change to get out. maybe i'll change it one day - who knows...

Cerrabore - thank you for your kind words also. and i'm glad you picked up on the intention of the strings cutting out. i tried to make everything very sparse buy using strange rhythms and measures (4/4 to 5/4 to 6/4 to 7/4) which never allowed the piece to "settle." i even ended it on the major V chord to avoid a completion.

jack - thank you too for listening. i didn't intend for these to be a trilogy, just three separate pieces i've been working on lately. but thanks for your nice comments.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I like your "Letting Go" very much. There's some nice, uncomplicated piano work among other good points. Nice work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    david - thank you for your comments, and yes i agree about the 1:11 mark. like i was saying to randy, i just didn't know how to get out of that pulse feel, so i just through in a little change to get out. maybe i'll change it one day - who knows...
    One time-honored method is to simply stop and take a breath.
    Mr. Mahler might be a good fellow to consult about that... lol.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum