• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Time for orchestration Challenge #13!

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Time for orchestration Challenge #13!

Hi all, it's time for the new orchestration challenge already!
    Since last time Randy (Bowser) offered a whole-tone theme I want to post a theme based on the diminished scale, built alternating a whole-tone and a half-tone. In this case it's a c# dim. scale (C#-D#-E-F#-G-A-Bb-C).
    As usual you can do whatever you like with the given melody, as long as it is heard at least once in the piece and is substantially recognizable.
    Good work everybody!

Re: Time for orchestration Challenge #13!

Hi ROberto, could you shrink the graphic down please - the right hand side is cut off!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Richard - if you want to print it, just other-click on it (right-click for right-handers) and choose Save Target As, then stick it onto your desktop (this is assuming you're using a PC....) - the whole thing will then print, not just the bit that's showing on the forum.
    Roberto - what's the cutoff date for submissions, please ? And does the use of the theme have to be with the given note-values or can we play around a bit with them ?
    Thanks !

Save Picture As, not Save Target As. Sorry.

Richard, sorry for the graphic issue...I wanted to preserve an acceptable resolution (150dpi) but the image is big on the screen. In my browser that's no problem, I can scroll the window to the right and see the other portion of the score... please do as Viv suggested, or teach me how to shrink the image, thanks

Viv, we usually allow one month to compose about 2 minutes of music. As for changing durations, not only it is possible, but I took it for granted! The theme only presents the material, then it's up to you to de-compose it and use the deconstructed elements to re-compose something original. Transposition, augmentation, diminution, inversion, retrograde, even looser relations like melodic profile imitation, change of mode, are all allowed processes, as long as you keep somehow consistent to the given melody.

best regards

Hi, Roberto

I've re-sized your image in Photo Shop--Let's see if this works for folks. --AND--will you be posting a MIDI file of your theme also? That can be helpful.--rbowser

Randy, thank you for your help and for reminding me to post a midi file of the theme! Here it is:

http://www.robertosoggetti.com/Chall13.mid

best

...and you may want to experiment with the various harmonies hidden in the diminished scale. Here we have:

This kind of chords have been heard in compositions since early '900, from Stravinsky to Messiaen, Shostakovich, down to Gil Evans, Klaus Ogerman, Herbie Hancock and many others. I hope you'll have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    ...and you may want to experiment with the various harmonies hidden in the diminished scale. Here we have:

This kind of chords have been heard in compositions since early '900, from Stravinsky to Messiaen, Shostakovich, down to Gil Evans, Klaus Ogerman, Herbie Hancock and many others. I hope you'll have fun...
    Hi Roberto. Interesting Theme.

Last night I improvised on the piano for about a half hour using this scale and kept coming up with music that reminded me of the composers you mentioned (except I don't know Klaus Ogerman). I’ve never played with this scale before so it was sort of eye opening – so that’s what they were doing.

Looks and sounds like it will be another interesting, and challenging, Challenge.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Roberto. Interesting Theme.

Last night I improvised on the piano for about a half hour using this scale and kept coming up with music that reminded me of the composers you mentioned (except I don't know Klaus Ogerman). I’ve never played with this scale before so it was sort of eye opening – so that’s what they were doing.

Looks and sounds like it will be another interesting, and challenging, Challenge.
    hi Trent, nice to know you found it interesting, and challenging. That was exactly my intent. I do believe this kind of harmony, though very dissonant sometimes (it is possible to stack all 8 tones in a single chord), has a strong inner order. Used along with more consonant harmonies it may provide beautiful tension-release effects...

Go Back to forum