• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM/exs24 problems

Share/Bookmark

SAM/exs24 problems

Every time I open a Logic project with SAM samples in, the exs24 says it has found multiple matches for samples (I think it's one of the ensemble patches) & asks me to choose the sample destination from 2 potential matches. This happens every time, and the box pops up about 30 times before the song gets around to loading!

I don't know which of the two destinations is the correct one, so I just press enter every time the message pops up until the song is loaded, but it's incredibly annoying to have to do that for every song which uses SAM samples.

Any idea how to fix this?

On an unrelated note, now I'm doing more work with video, Logic is consistently freezing and crashing, and sometimes can't handle me playing a single piano sample, even when all other tracks are frozen.
    Should I expect this to happen when using £700 worth of music software on a decent-spec G5? Do I just need to upgrade, or could something else be causing this?

Ta...

Re: SAM/exs24 problems

Wilx,

When the EXS has to open a program (or 'instrument') for which it can't find the samples, it usually goes searching for them on your system until it finds them (which it always does, provided the samples are there). If it encounters samples with identical names, then yes: you'll see a window from which to pick the one you need (the topmost entry is indeed, more often than not, the correct choice).
    Now, once the location of all the samples is established, the EXS will write this information into the instrument-file (the *.exs file) so that you don't have to go through the same hassle everytime you open that instrument.
    If however you copied your exs-files (the instrument files) straight from cd-rom or dvd onto your system, it might very well be that those exs-files are 'write protected' (that's not always the case, but it happens), thus preventing the EXS from writing the info (regarding the whereabouts of the samples) into the file.
    Maybe check the file properties of your exs-files: if they are indeed 'write protected' (read only), change them so that you have 'full access' (read and write). Once you do that, the EXS will be able to modify those files so that they include the samples' location info and you will never have to sit through the tedious loading process again.

As for your second problem: no, you shouldn't upgrade. But you definitely need to change something. Difficult to say what however, with so little system information to go on.
    Logic on a decent G5 is perfectly capable to handle quite heavy video streams together with considerable midi- and audio tasks.

_

I would also recommend that you buy and run ESX Manager Pro.
    www.redmatica.com

And BTW in the future it would be good if you posted this kind of thing in our EXS24 forum. That is why I nagged them to have one.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piet De Ridder
    Wilx,

When the EXS has to open a program (or 'instrument') for which it can't find the samples, it usually goes searching for them on your system until it finds them (which it always does, provided the samples are there). If it encounters samples with identical names, then yes: you'll see a window from which to pick the one you need (the topmost entry is indeed, more often than not, the correct choice).
    Now, once the location of all the samples is established, the EXS will write this information into the instrument-file (the *.exs file) so that you don't have to go through the same hassle everytime you open that instrument.
    If however you copied your exs-files (the instrument files) straight from cd-rom or dvd onto your system, it might very well be that those exs-files are 'write protected' (that's not always the case, but it happens), thus preventing the EXS from writing the info (regarding the whereabouts of the samples) into the file.
    Maybe check the file properties of your exs-files: if they are indeed 'write protected' (read only), change them so that you have 'full access' (read and write). Once you do that, the EXS will be able to modify those files so that they include the samples' location info and you will never have to sit through the tedious loading process again.

Woo!
    worked perfectly - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet De Ridder
    As for your second problem: no, you shouldn't upgrade. But you definitely need to change something. Difficult to say what however, with so little system information to go on.
    Logic on a decent G5 is perfectly capable to handle quite heavy video streams together with considerable midi- and audio tasks.
    It's still being strange - the 'audio' bar in the audio performance window shoots up quite often, even with tracks frozen.
    Sometimes I'll even get a coreaudio error with no video playing, and with every single track frozen! I have no idea why this could happen.
    I've got a dualcore (2.3) G5 with 2gb and two decent sized HDs. Memory seems to be cheap at the moment so I'll probably get an extra 2gb of RAM, but surely Logic is supposed to be able to handle playback of a song consisting entirely of frozen tracks?

Up until now, plain old built-in coreaudio has served me well. Would getting an audio interface (Possibly Saffire Pro 26i/o) help with performance at all, or would it just help with sound quality?

I just played through a project consisting entirely of frozen tracks, and cpu usage was between 30% and 89%.
    Surely this is way higher than it should be?

Wilx,

Very difficult to tell without knowing the configuration of your rig. Many, many things come into play here: harddisk speed, harddisk free space, amount of tracks, buffer settings, hardware configuration, ... too much to make even an educated guess as to what might be the source of your troubles.
    Just for starters: how about you Audio Preferences in Logic? Would you care to share your settings? I/O Buffersize, for instance: what value have you got there? If you're in the mixing stages of your song, you can raise the buffersize substantially (it will increase latency, yes, but at this stage, that's no longer an issue) and that alone might already result in a significant improvement ...

_

Core audio (enabled)

Driver: built-in audio
    I/O buffer Size - 512
    Recording delay - 0
    Max audio tracks - 32
    64 busses? (no)
    Universal track mode? (yes)
    Larger Disk Buffer? (yes)
    24 bit recording? (no)
    Software monitoring? (yes)

Process Buffer Range - medium

blah blah blah

Just crashed 4 times in 15 minutes, and all I was doing was trying to set a couple of beatmapped anchor points!

Wilx,

Does look fine to me, those settings. Should definitely get you much further than you seem to be going now. Which is why I'm starting to think that there may be something strange going on with your RAM. How much do you have of it and are you absolutely sure it's in good condition? Nothing more frustrating that faulty RAM, you see. Causes all sorts of trouble: weird errors, stuttering performance and ... 4 crashes in 15 minutes.
    If you're unsure about the RAM, test them by removing them in pairs and continue working with the remaining. Keep switching RAM until you come across the pair that's faulty (you'll know immediately). Immensely tedious routine to have to go through, I know (done it once myself), but it's either that or replacing all of your RAM with new sticks.

_

I have two out of eight slots used, with 1gig of RAM in each.
    System info tells me it's 'ok', and I've just use the Ram test utility 'rember' - and it all came through fine.

I have no idea...!?

Mmm, this is getting more difficult with every reply. I'm no technical expert, you see. Not even by a long shot. And I'm slowly but surely running out of suggestions here.
    The only thing I do know for certain is that you definitely should get a lot more out of your machine than you currently manage. 2 gig of RAM isn't exactly a luxurious amount, but it's not nothing either. And if your HD is in good heatlh and there's enough free space available on it (very important this!), than I really don't see what could be causing all this trouble.

Do you have the same troubles when you're not syncing to video? If not, then you need to check the mov-file's resolution, colour depth and compression (you need QuickTimePro for this). Could be that the movie is far too large for your system to cope with. With QTPro, you can alter the size, lower the colour depth and change the compression (or even better: have no compression at all, freeing Logic/QT of the task to uncompress during playback) which will result in a mov-file that Logic has far less trouble with.

Some more ideas: you have tried trashing Logic's preferences, have you? (Make sure to save your key-commands before you do, or you'll have to re-assign them all over again.) Initializing Logic like this can prove very beneficial in certain circumstances. And restoring permissions is also something that you hear people often suggest in case of trouble.

If I think of smething else, I'll let you know. Sorry for your troubles.

_

Go Back to forum