• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio did not start properly

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio did not start properly

I am encountering a new problem w/ GS 3.21. Everytime I start GS3 I get the "run in diagnostic mode?" dialog box. My system is a relatively new and I am trying to optimize it. I have been around and around w/ the "Unknown system error" etc and was trying to fix that problem when this one came up. I really don't even know where to start but here's the system.

WinXP SP2
    ASUS P5B MB
    2GB Ram
    RAID array
    RME HDSP9652
    GS3.21

The problem cropped up after having to reinstall the drivers for the RME.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, David
    Last edited by DGRussell; 05-27-2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: GigaStudio did not start properly

These problems are suffered by many and there doesn't seem to be a definative solution; However; you could try these:
    1. With XP SP2 I wouldn't bother optimising anything.
    2. Is the CPU over 3.0Gigs?
    3. Some types of memory can cause "USE", this is a problem in DAW 1; DAW 2 never plays up, unless I turn off services and then the License seems to goes astray, I haven't tracked it down yet, but it seems to be in the networking services, anyway not a real problem.
    4. XP PRO is better at handling raid 0 than XP Home. Having the samples on a raid 0 array or separate disks doesnt make any difference to USE's or perfomance in my case.
    5. When the system comes up in dianostic mode, I generate the error log and then click okay; restart gs3 and click on no for diagnostics; when it has loaded, I shut it down and restart gs3 then load my performance. This should solve the diagnostic problem.
    6. Go into the programs folder and delete the "db" under Tascam.
    7. Go into the configuration manager and check the settings; dont' run the polyphony flat out set it at about 380 and the slider to about 370.
    8. Rebuild the database with gig and gsp files only and see what happens.
    9. Convert all gig ins to giga v3. It is a matter of opinion with you leave the file monitor checked on or not, however, with if off you have to make sure that you rebuild the database after editing and changing settings in the workstation; BTW these notes come from pages of notes I have made on problems with GS3.
    10. It would seem that the newer DDR2 ram runs better than DDR
    11. GS3 is greedy, it likes the PC to itself. No Nero no outlok express and if the network is up you might get the blue scrren of death.
    12. Sound card drivers should be up to date BSOD !!!
    13. Video card drivers - ditto.
    14. Midi in should off when you start and load up first time in. Active faders might cause the system to crash.
    15. If your XP was installed from a copied CDROM then the XP system might be flakey and you will need to reinstall XP, there is no need to reformat the hard drive, however, the raid array can BE cleaned up whenever.
    16. No programs on the raid 0, only instruments.
    17. When I looked at the files that are listed in the gsp file; I have noticed that the ins that wont load and show up USE and not listed in the file, to date I have no answer as to why this is so.
    18. This is probably enough for now - info overload!!
    I have made other posts re this subject, the USE problem is a sod and TASCAM has not replied to my emals.
    I am going to try different ram sticks in DAW1 to see if that stop the USE in DAW1.

These are things I have tried; sometimes they work and sometimes they don't --- so good luck; If I discover anything earthshaking I will let you know.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

This "make notes when you encounter a problem" idea is very appealing to me. Thanks for the useful info.

Slightly OT : Is there something in your notes that address CPU spikes? What i'm seeing is GS3's CPU meter going astray and not knowing what to do. Sometimes i also get that "GS3 hasnt closed properly" message. Maybe the issues are linked?

cpu spikes:

1. Is system restore on or off?
    2. No paging file on the sample hard drives?
    3. no recycler folder on the samples HD?
    4. How much convolution do you have turned on?
    5. Have a look at your services under Admin tools and see what is on.
    6. Video and sound card drivers that are out of date will cause all sorts of problems including the BSOD!
    7. The PC BIOS should also be up to date; but only if you are having problems.
    8. Are you using the PC only for DAW purposes?
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Quote Originally Posted by OWJ
    cpu spikes:

1. Is system restore on or off?
    2. No paging file on the sample hard drives?
    3. no recycler folder on the samples HD?
    4. How much convolution do you have turned on?
    5. Have a look at your services under Admin tools and see what is on.
    6. Video and sound card drivers that are out of date will cause all sorts of problems including the BSOD!
    7. The PC BIOS should also be up to date; but only if you are having problems.
    8. Are you using the PC only for DAW purposes?
    1). System Restore is off
    2). I dont know what that is, and how to do that.
    3). Nope.
    4). No convolution. This happens with all instruments
    5). By that if you mean Task manager, i looked at it and nothing odd is happening there.
    6). Latest drivers
    7). Havent messed with the BIOS in my life, ever.
    8). No. PC is also meant for the internet.

I have had much trouble when my DAW was used for other things such as the Net. A friend of mine who also runs a large digital organ had heaps of crashes and BSOD when he used his DAW with the net, eventually we had to get another PC for the net and other home use and leave the DAW alone.

The paging file is the swap file and is set in the system: ">" = clickon
    >control panel> system . advanced "performance" > settings > advanced
    "Virtual memory" > change; and see where the swap/page file is located.
    1. Have a look at your services under Admin tools and see what is on.
    > control panel > administrative tools > services. Here you will need to check what is started with the tweaking notes from the TASCAM site. I did this in the first instance, however, now I just leave it alone; XP PRO with a fast cpu and fast RAM seem to cope okay.

"The problem cropped up after having to reinstall the drivers for the RME.
    "
    What happens if you roll back the drivers?
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21

Hauptwerk V3

Go Back to forum