• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a Try

Share/Bookmark

Just a Try

I think this is my first post in the listening room although I've been hanging around here for a while. The tune is entitled Just a Try since that's what it is.

http://www.craysystems.com/justatry.mp3

Re: Just a Try

This is indeed a special pleasure. Tony

A new genre. A rare treat. This collection of phrases reminds me, I must put the bin out. Only joking! Oh a very abrupt ending as I type. A pleasure indeed to hear this and I expect much more in the future while someone else does the gardening.

My Best

Ray

Tony! I certainly recognize your name, and now it's great to finally hear some music from you!

One thing I want to say first, in relation to The Listening Room and the way we share music here--one attribute of your piece, "Just A Try" which I really admire is its boldness. Despite a tentative sounding title, the music isn't tentative.

You've gotten right into the fabulous GPO palette and done something assertive with it. I really appreciate that, because not everyone enters the Forum with so bold a statement. I love that.

Now, considering the piece as a work--It's a constant flowing of the basic concept, it's a --well I like that word I just used--Flow.

Next--can it be more strongly gotten across? Well sure--And that's always the case. What might be helpful to make this piece even more effective?--

--The strings are sounding keyboardish, as in a piano player's comping of chords. They could be more constantly in the piece, ebbing and flowing rather than coming in with chord-like stabs which always quickly enter and quickly exit.

It's a matter of letting at least some sections of the strings continuing rather than ending along with the rest--cellos or violas could keep lingering after the stabs from the 1st and 2nd strings. Basses could remain rumbling underneath while the other strings take a break--Things like that.

--When one section comes in with its statement of the thematic material, the next orchestral section could start mirroring what the first section has played. They could be playing an inversion or simply droning on fundamental tones.

I'm suggesting that more "glue" could be used throughout to not only tie the composition together, but to build and propel the piece as time goes on.

No matter how mathematical and theoretical the methods at which people approach their compositions, the bottom line is that the listener wants to be taken on a journey--which has a beginning, middle, and end.

I admire the work, and I feel it comes from a very positive energy. More art in the building of it could leave us more enthralled.

Do you know John Adams' work? Without trying to describe what he does, and if you don't know him, I think if you look up his work, you, more than a lot of people, could be inspired by what he accomplishes.

Thanks for the music--Look at all the words you inspired me to write! lol--More than that, I appreciate what you've shared here.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hello Tony,

nice to hear now music from you here in the listeningroom!

A nice composition and arrangement! I like it!

Perhaps, if you have time, try to make a new recording with more dynamik and pay attention thereby to the note lengths for more realistic sounding.... .

My friend, thank you for posting your first music here.

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I already said this in the chat, but I'll reiterate: I like the sound of this tune. The so-called lack of dynamics doesn't bug me because it created a very "organ-like" sound that suited the structure of the song very well. Very nice for "just a try"!

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    I already said this in the chat, but I'll reiterate: I like the sound of this tune. The so-called lack of dynamics doesn't bug me because it created a very "organ-like" sound that suited the structure of the song very well. Very nice for "just a try"!

-Chris
    Chris, you are right, it sounds "organ-like" and I like it too. My tip was only, if Tony wants that it would sound more "orchestra-played".... .

Welcome aboard, Tony!

And a good job on your first dive into this sandbox
    full of lunatics... lol.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    ....into this sandbox full of lunatics... lol.

As I said in the chat room, I really enjoyed this, especially its harmonies. It would be interesting to hear more variety in the orchestration, but this is a great start, there's a lot here to work with! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum