• Register
  • Help

Topic: TC-Helicon Harmony4- Anyone have this?

Share/Bookmark

TC-Helicon Harmony4- Anyone have this?

I am in search of a harmonizer plugin and the only thing I can find that is suposedly of high quality is TC-Helicon's Harmony4. They have no demo available so it makes me a little nervous to shell out over $600 for it. Anyone use or have this?

Thanks and take care,

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: TC-Helicon Harmony4- Anyone have this?

If you're runnin' the tc stuff, update your powercore software to 2.2 and you get 20 working hours of all the plugs.

I do have Powercore, but unfortunately the demos did not include any TC helicon stuff. I only have 2.0 installed, but will upgrade to 2.2- maybe they added the Harmony4 demo? I do own Melodyne Studio, but have only barely started messing with harmonies. Melodyne sounds awesome, but harmonies are not as easy and instantaneous to create as with harmony4.

Sean

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Here's the cheap way to do this... PGMusic has a sequencer program called Powertracks Pro. That program carries a version of TC Helicon harmonizer and it works pretty decently... Here's the good and the bad... The good is, that if you generate your own harmonic midi lines to the original track, it will harmonize it... However, you must make the original audio recording the most prominent, and by a cautious blend, you can get a pretty good sound.. Soloing the generated harmony voices is not recommended, since they sound pretty electronic and synthy... But that's the same for all these contraptions... there is not one of them that's going to harmonize stuff automatically and not sound electronic...

The other route you can travel is to buy melodyne... Melodyne will harmonize a voice from the original voice, and the algorithms are such that it will not sound horrible as you raise and lower each voice... And it works very well... And it's cheaper than the hardware product that you're looking at...

Anyway, something to think about...

You may want to check this out: http://vielklang.zplane.de/

Jerry

www.jerrypettit.com/blog

Strictly FYI: I have found my used Digitech Studio Vocalist working in "Vocoder-Auto" mode to be great for non-programmed harmony in live situations. In vocoder mode it shifts the voice to whatever you're playing and in auto vocoder mode those notes are the closest ones to the vocal, regardless of the midi input. I can play anywhere without a chipmunk/Terminator invasion and I don't get parallel motion. Makes generating harmonies really easy - you can hold down a block chord and let it do the voice leading - and it makes for some fun live Swingl-ing. Figure just over $200 on Ebay. The TC Helicon units don't have the "auto" feature. I also have a Voiceworks and it appears the articulation - the recognizability of the harmonizer output as actual words - to be better on the SV. This could also be pilot error since I haven't done any serious programming on either unit. Both units appear to be just the physical embodiments of IVI Technology's development work.

Ernie

Go Back to forum