• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 'The Reason Why' - warning rock music!

Share/Bookmark

'The Reason Why' - warning rock music!

Here is a sample of rock music featuring GPO (strings) and SAM (brass), er plus a bunch of guitars and synths thrown in for good measure! Vocals by my friend Rob Warner (as I can't sing).

www.l-music.co.uk/reasonwhy.mp3

Re: 'The Reason Why' - warning rock music!

LOW,

This has a fairly tenuous link to the garritan products with only GPO strings featured in it. I don't know what SAM has to do with it. I'm not the listening room policeman but you are stretching the rubber band a little here.
    I have just finished arranging and producing a pop/rock track http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5374019

It has more Garritan samples in than yours but still not enough to warrant starting a thread with it.

Just my opinion you know.

Ray

Wink Re: 'The Reason Why' - warning rock music!

Low,

thank you for posting this, it is a very nice song, but I agree with Ray that this is perhaps not the right room for that.

Perhaps you post it here:

http://www.broadjam.com

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Low

Your subject line with the "Rock Music!" warning really caught my attention. I enjoy the variety of music here a lot, and keep hoping to hear more rock/pop music.

Nice! Lots of clever arranging in this and a really good sounding recording. So many layers, constantly interesting textures and sounds. I rather like it a Lot!

Hummm, I guess we're still not all in agreement about what is appropriate to post here and what's not.

Personally, I have No problem with you posting this here. The GPO strings are used prominently--To me, that's sufficient to have the piece qualify. And that seems to jibe with the last official word I recall reading on this issue. It was posted by--?--one of the moderators, that a piece is fine to post as long as Garritan instruments are used in the project.

Thanks for this!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

It's not exactly my taste in rock music but I thought it was well done. To me it had that Pink Floyd dark feeling.

Phil

Right room, wrong room, could be the rest room for all
    I know... lol. But even if I don't know where the heck
    I am, I'll say this much: Damned well done, on this!

Powerful piece of work, well conceived, and extremely
    well executed... I'd stomp my foot in approval, but I'm
    afraid I'd accidentally hit a flush lever or something.

Instead, I'll suffice to comment with: much applause.
    This is one of the best major rock works I've heard
    in quite a while...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well didn't mean to start a major debate and of course would be happy to delete the thread if requested by moderators. I would defend anyone else who puts up a demo that does feature Garritan products even without the adverb 'predominantly' anywhere on the sleeve notes. I think it is great to hear how the products are used in a variety of musical settings. There have actually been a few demos in the past up here on this topic/thread that didn't even have any Garritan on them at all and they didn't get shot down by the way! The reference to 'SAM' is in case anyone was wondering where the brass was coming from. This particular piece featured 5 section string parts - bass s&s, cello s&s, viola s&s, violin1 and 2 s&s. The strings appear in the introduction, the choruses and 'solo' and the endpiece.

That over with - thanks very much guys for taking the time to listen and for writing down the very positive comments Randy, Fastlane and David - it is much appreciated. Fastlane - yes, well if Pink Floyd aren't making their music anymore - someone has got to try surely?!

Quote Originally Posted by L0W
    ... I would defend anyone else who puts up a demo that does feature Garritan products even without the adverb 'predominantly' anywhere on the sleeve notes. I think it is great to hear how the products are used in a variety of musical settings. There have actually been a few demos in the past up here on this topic/thread that didn't even have any Garritan on them at all and they didn't get shot down by the way! The reference to 'SAM' is in case anyone was wondering where the brass was coming from. This particular piece featured 5 section string parts - bass s&s, cello s&s, viola s&s, violin1 and 2 s&s. The strings appear in the introduction, the choruses and 'solo' and the endpiece.
    Low,

at least you are right, and I hope nobody will delete this thread.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello again, Low

I believe the folks who have objections about seeing your piece posted here have sincere motivations. They're wanting us to all follow the same guidelines, and to respect the wishes and expectations of Gary and his company.

I suppose we could request for Listening Room guidelines to be written out even more explicity, since we still seem to have different impressions of what is kosher to post and what isn't.

Especially considering that Gary G. on several occassions has encouraged people to use a mix of programs in their music projects ie: Garritan libraries along with software from other companies, my understanding has always been that as long as a project includes use of Some Garritan instruments, that it's appropriate for posting here.

But, obviously that isn't how everyone sees things.

I was just sorry to see you feeling so defensive in your new post. Remember as I said at the start of this reply, those people objecting have had positive intentions.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Low -

I would echo the others who have already responded - quite an amazing production and very well done!

Definitely had that Floyd-like sound to me (that's a good thing, as I've heard many who've tried and NOT succeeded at this sound).

I, too, would say that your use of Garritan products (along with others), warrants its inclusion in the 'Listening Room' (here). I know it's not everyone's style, but definitely great to see the alternative ways in which the Garritan's libraries can and are being used.

Bravo!

Dave

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast