• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT:Guild for television composers

Share/Bookmark

OT:Guild for television composers

I know this is not the best place for this question to go, but, I'm not particularly sure where to put it, and I hope that I can gain some insight...

Is there a "guild" for composers who write for television? A friend of mine, a director, just got a deal for production of the pilot episode for a show, and I'm blessed enough to be doing the music...

I'd like to know what steps I need to take in case the show is picked up. Obviously some sort of legal representation? The friend of mine mentioned that there was a writer's guild (WGA), from which he could calculate a minimum figure per ep. I wasn't sure if there was such a thing for composers.

I am, admittedly, very new at this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: OT:Guild for television composers

No guild per se; the closest resource you'll find is the Society for Composers and Lyricists. You might also want to check out the Film Music Network online. They have a survey of composer fees and other useful info. Best of luck!

Thanks Mike!

Advice is much-appreciated!

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Congrats! But...

Yeah...there is no guild for composers at all. Hence, it makes the job even more cut throat.

Also know that with TV shows...especially if the pilot is accepted and put into production...the directors have very little say. They come and go per episode in TV quicker than anything. In the TV world...it is the producers and really the executive producers that are running the show and assembling the team of people that will take the show into production. So...if you get the opportunity to meet those people...make friends with them. But also don't seem over eager. Just be confident.

It is very common for a pilot to get picked up for production and then everything that can be changed about the show (usually post) and every section that can have industry veterans attached will be changed. Music is one of those areas. So...hopefully they will like your music enough to not want to hire a name like Mike Post to re-score the pilot for airing and do the show's theme if the show gets picked up. Catch my drift.

So...like a chef in Hell's kitchen...know who you are cooking for and who you are really trying to impress with your music.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Wink Re: OT:Guild for television composers

Hi Steve,

Contact these people. They are the shortest distance between the
    two points regarding the questions you are asking. They may no be exactly what you are askng for, but they will know who is. Good luck!

http://www.bmi.com/about/

Screen Actors Guild: saginfo@sag.org.

http://www.sag.org/sagWebApp/index.jsp

http://www.ascap.com/index.html

TVLICENSING@ASCAP.COM

SESAC (headquarters)
    55 Music Square East
    Nashville, TN 37203
    615-320-0055
    Fax 615-329-9627

Good luck!!

Thanks for taking the time to offer this advice, I really appreciate it... It will be a tight deadline for the pilot, so I'm unable to fly out to meet the production company staff during shooting (as they had suggested), but I plan to do so at the screening before they send it to LA. Hopefully I can make some friends.

Not to count the chickens before they're hatched, (as Brian so rightful pointed out), but just in case... how does one begin to think about agent representation, since there's no guild...

Thanks to all for any and everything,

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Not to count the chickens before they're hatched, (as Brian so rightful pointed out), but just in case... how does one begin to think about agent representation, since there's no guild...

Thanks to all for any and everything,

Steve
    Agents for composers is a whole other ballgame than agents for actors, writers, etc...which seem to be a dime a dozen. Composer agents aren't.

Basically, if you are not already established and making LOTs of money (6 figures a year) as a composer working on a hit TV series or a studio feature film (not just independent)...you will find it near impossible to find an agent who will represent you. Sad but true.

So...get an entertainment lawyer first. He will protect your interests. Worry about that. He is more important anyway and be happy that you get to keep an extra 10% now without an agent.

Agents don't build careers and certainly don't go out of their way to work extra hard for someone who does not already have the calls coming in. They do a great job at taking 10% off of already established careers though.

So...after you score a hit TV series that makes it more than a season or a studio feature film (not independent)...you might get an agent to meet with you. There are only a few for composers anyway. The heavies are Gorfaine/Schwartz...Kraft/Engle...Soundtrack Music Assoc...First Artist Management....

And you will also find it very hard to do anything if you are not in L.A. Seriously. Harsh but true.

Best of luck with it.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Go Back to forum