• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: hearing what i have written

Share/Bookmark

Question hearing what i have written

i asked a question on this some weeks ago but was not to the point of being ready to go forward. my apologies to one very nice guy who answered. i am through with my scoring now, and would appreciate your expertise very much.
    at this time, my only knowledge is the old historical kind - you create something, you score it on staff paper and hope it will be played. with this software hardware stuff today, perhaps it can be played anyway.
    i have completed a work for viola and orquesta. it uses pairs of flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, a bass clarinet, horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timpani, cymbal, normal strings, and solo viola. the work has all the things expected - ritards, accelerandos, time signature changes, all the dynamics from pp to sfz. nothing exotic. my goal is to be able to hear my work through a Bose that is plugged into my Mac and used normally for hearing streamed radio.
    let's not even assume that i have a Mac. let's assume that all i have is my classical training and the paper score i have written.
    please tell me everything i need - starting with the computer, the keyboard, etc. - all hardware needed - plus all software needed - plus an instructor. as specific as you possibly can be, so i will have a shopping list - so that at long last the work can be heard as close as possible to what would be heard on a recording of it by a virtuoso violist and orquesta.
    thanks to all of you who respond. this is all new to me.
    ding

Re: hearing what i have written

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    i asked a question on this some weeks ago but was not to the point of being ready to go forward. my apologies to one very nice guy who answered. i am through with my scoring now, and would appreciate your expertise very much.
    at this time, my only knowledge is the old historical kind - you create something, you score it on staff paper and hope it will be played. with this software hardware stuff today, perhaps it can be played anyway.
    i have completed a work for viola and orquesta. it uses pairs of flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, a bass clarinet, horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timpani, cymbal, normal strings, and solo viola. the work has all the things expected - ritards, accelerandos, time signature changes, all the dynamics from pp to sfz. nothing exotic. my goal is to be able to hear my work through a Bose that is plugged into my Mac and used normally for hearing streamed radio.
    let's not even assume that i have a Mac. let's assume that all i have is my classical training and the paper score i have written.
    please tell me everything i need - starting with the computer, the keyboard, etc. - all hardware needed - plus all software needed - plus an instructor. as specific as you possibly can be, so i will have a shopping list - so that at long last the work can be heard as close as possible to what would be heard on a recording of it by a virtuoso violist and orquesta.
    thanks to all of you who respond. this is all new to me.
    ding
    Hello Ding and welcome back to our forums. This is some question you have asked and there are different approaches to achieve what you ask. I too have come from a background of Classical training and before computers entered our homes I was composing and arranging with pen and manuscript.

My approach followed on naturally from this and I begin with a notation editor, Finale 2007c. I create, arrange, edit my scores in Finale then save this as a MIDI file. I then open this MIDI file in Sonar and prepare my performance here through panning, ambience/reverb, balancing the instruments and fine-tuning dynamics. I then save this as a wav file which I open in my wave editor for final touches such as removing uneeded silence, normalising and other 'housework' items to complete my mastering. I should add that first and foremost I am a musician and not an audio engineer but these software tools help me a great deal.

Some members who work through notation complete their performances entirely in their notation editors. At a guess I would think most members do not use notation editors but use MIDI enabled keyboards to play their scores staight into a sequencer such as Sonar. It entirely depends on your preference.

I don't use a Mac so I am unable to help you in this area. I am sure some of our Mac users will be able to help with this.

I hope this has been of some help and I'm sure others will add their preferred methods of working.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi,

I think the first "must to do" is, to learn playing the keyboard ore another instrument which you can use for transmitting midi-notes into the sequenzer.

But, you say, your only knowledge is the old historical kind, so I think you can play the keyboard?

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

first, michael in the UK -thank you for that. as you must know, most of it is ANOTHER language for me. i have to digest this. i will be back with more questions. it's good to know someone is on here who is very familiar with scoring paper. and mil gracias por the welcome back.
    ding

gunther
    thank you for your reply. YES, i do play. i studied privately from the age of 6 until the age of 23. i have had my share of Czerny exercises, much Chopín, enough Bach, Beethoven, some Schumann, Debussy, Mendelssohn, and the 1st e-flat conciero of Mozart, THE Tchaikovsky, Rach #2, Brahms #1, and the Schumann. Years of 2.5 hours per day - scales galore, harmonic and melodic minors and majors too. But, assuming that i could play each instrument through the keyboard into 'something' - i am still very much in the dark. Does Mac have something with the power to crunch all this stuff - imagine a score for solo and orquesta with sound dynamics, time changes, phrasing, etc etc.?
    thanks much mi amigo
    ding

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    gunther
    thank you for your reply. YES, i do play. i studied privately from the age of 6 until the age of 23. i have had my share of Czerny exercises, much Chopín, enough Bach, Beethoven, some Schumann, Debussy, Mendelssohn, and the 1st e-flat conciero of Mozart, THE Tchaikovsky, Rach #2, Brahms #1, and the Schumann. Years of 2.5 hours per day - scales galore, harmonic and melodic minors and majors too. But, assuming that i could play each instrument through the keyboard into 'something' - i am still very much in the dark. Does Mac have something with the power to crunch all this stuff - imagine a score for solo and orquesta with sound dynamics, time changes, phrasing, etc etc.?
    thanks much mi amigo
    ding
    Ding,

there are so many good sequenzers on the market. Sonar, Cubase, Sibelius.... , and it is not the first thing if you use a PC or Mac.

More information about different DAWs you can find here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53502

And, information about different orchestralibraries you can find here on mass :-)

For starting with work with orchestralibraries I would buy Gary Garritans GPO, because it is easy to handle and also payable and need not tons of megabytes on your harddisc.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello, Ding

Starting from scratch can be a bit overwhelming... There's actually allot to consider... and unfortunately it's mostly technical.

My advice would be to find yourself a computer guru!

Perhaps go to your local music store and talk to a technician there.. Ask if they would be willing to create a music system for you. (you're willing to pay of course).. Tell them what programs you'll buy from them, ie: Final, Cubase ?,.. what VST instruments.. ie: Garritan?

They'll set everything up, give you the proper soundcard and get everything running smoothly. ( hopefully)

Tell them you'll want everything completely configured.

Once done....at least 90% of your problems will be solved... the rest is tweaking (lots of tweaking..) but at least you can be making music as you learn.

.. the most important part is to pay your Guru guy well! (to the point where it hurts!).. this will ensure a continual support system...

This was the approach I took... and interestingly enough, my technical support guy and I actualy became very close friends!

Best

~Jeff

All of the above advice is good to start. I would add that that you will need to know as much as possible about MIDI. You might have seen that acronym before. it stands for Musical instrument digital interface. and it is the "language" that will allow your keybard to talk to your sequencer or notation program and for those programs to talk to your sounds (in this case, probably GPO).
    MIDI can be very confusing to learn from scratch, but some knowledge of it will be essential to get good results. ALL computer sound libraries and synthesizers "speak" MIDI. so you will need to learn at least the basics.

start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical...ital_Interface

there are several good books too available at amazon and other places, but probably all the information you will need can be obtained on the web for free. and by trial and error, of course.
    good luck.

conway, jeff, mike, gunter (and to all others who wish to contribute)
    muchissimas gracias por the benefit of your knowledge and help -
    just a little more about myself regarding this - although i live in south américa i am a former angeleno, so i am comfortable in 'valley speak' - which is maybe a dialect of inglés more or less. bear with me though - becuz mi spell skills en english have suffered. AND tecnically, i cannot speak - period. i live with a MAC worshiper who has some tecnical savy about Mac and its products, but he is not a musico.
    the idea of becoming friendly with a guru in a music place is certainly smart, jeff. and, yes, an investment is necessary in $ and in time and learning. not rich, but i will pay for this - if razonable - because i want this ability.
    any comments - on what i might need in the way of computer - i have an eMac with OS X bought in late 2004. do i need more power than this?
    also, can you guys tell me exactly what hardware and software products you have for producing your sounds - from when the musical thought enters su head until you hear it come out of your computer?
    and thank you all for spending time with a tecno baby such as myself
    ding - un principiante (a beginer)

I doubt that an eMac will make you happy if using it as a DAW. You'll need the fastest computer you can afford, with a lot of RAM and a fast hard drive. Start learning about midi, cc's, latency, freezing tracks, notation programs, sequencers, etc...

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and the ability to produce excellent playback from a computer and samples is something that needs to be studied and learned.

JT

Go Back to forum