My third attempt (2:13)

"The Moon Traces A Path Across The Floor"

Featuring (all GPO):
    Alto Flute
    Eb Clarinet
    Bb Clarinet
    Contrabass Clarinet
    Contrabassoon
    Violin 1 (Pizz / Short / Sus-Short-Mute / Trem)
    Violin 2 (Pizz / Short / Sus-Short-Mute)
    Viola (Pizz / Sus-Short-Mute / Trem)
    Cello (Pizz / Short / Sus-Short-Mute)
    Bass (Pizz / Sus-Short-Mute)
    Grand Marimba
    Celeste
    Percussion Toys
    Timpani (only one note )

Preferred link:
    http://www.ctgmusic.com/song.php?id=15089

Easy link:
    http://www.suspenlute.com/nepsus/Chr...he%20Floor.mp3

Please leave your comments, good and bad. I really want to get better at this.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: My third attempt (2:13)

Chris, really nice job on this! There's an almost bewitching
    quality of play and a touch of mischief afoot in this... very
    well controlled and paced; and I liked the very straightforward,
    clear, almost minimalist feel to it -- nothing wasted, but every-
    thing gets said...

Fine work!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Stupendous, Chris!

What a fantastic use of GPO, with a controlled, clean arrangement expertly performed. But that perfection doesn't render the results lifeless and academic, as can happen when arrangements are so spare and spot-on. On the contrary, this is full of life--David used a great phrase to describe some of the feel of this, "a touch of mischief."

I have a suggestion---This shouldn't be referred to as merely "an attempt." Having this as the results of your effort should give you the confidence to be just a bit less humble! We're all constantly on a learning curve, nothing is ever "finished," it always feels like we're starting from square one each time--etc--BUT really, you are doing much more here than just "attempting."

Applause, Chris. I love this.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Chris, really nice job on this! There's an almost bewitching
    quality of play and a touch of mischief afoot in this... very
    well controlled and paced; and I liked the very straightforward,
    clear, almost minimalist feel to it -- nothing wasted, but every-
    thing gets said...
    It looks like you got out of this piece everything I wanted to convey, which I find very encouraging. As far as the "minimalist" aspect goes, I usually consider that a weakness in my style (difficulty attending to a large number of parts at once) but I try my best to turn it into a strength (by creating tunes like this with everything delivered in a fairly straightforward manner). Hopefully these exercises will help me grow more expansive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    What a fantastic use of GPO, with a controlled, clean arrangement expertly performed. But that perfection doesn't render the results lifeless and academic, as can happen when arrangements are so spare and spot-on. On the contrary, this is full of life--David used a great phrase to describe some of the feel of this, "a touch of mischief."

I have a suggestion---This shouldn't be referred to as merely "an attempt." Having this as the results of your effort should give you the confidence to be just a bit less humble! We're all constantly on a learning curve, nothing is ever "finished," it always feels like we're starting from square one each time--etc--BUT really, you are doing much more here than just "attempting."
    Well, honestly I only consider it an "attempt" because in my opinion I'm still very much a beginner with GPO (and orchestral "styles" in general) and I don't have the "fortitude" to label it "Op." or somesuch, but maybe as things progress.

In conclusion, thanks very much Randy B. and David.
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum