• Register
  • Help

Topic: Happypachy

Share/Bookmark

Happypachy

After resolving my computer disasters of last week, I took a short rest, and then did this thing. It would probably sound better if played with a light swing. Like my last piece, this one is done except for tidying up the score. It will be a bigger project for this one, as the score will be about 30 pages.

Happypachy was written for two pianos, 4 hands. The performance is not as difficult as might be thought from listening. I particularly like the part beginning at about bar 65, time 3:00 or thereabouts. It gets pretty swinging there. It is nearly 10 minutes long. I have no idea how I managed to do this so quickly. I have no idea how I managed to compose this at any speed. But it sure was fun.

As usual, the piano is GPO Steinway.

Happypachy

Richard

Re: Happypachy

Richard, I wonder where you come up with titles,
    sometimes -- you just know we're going to ask... lol.

Happypachy? A lost tribe of very cheeful American
    Indians, perhaps?

I'd agree with you that the section around 3:00/fwd.
    is the highlight of the piece; it rather caught me by
    surprise... though it's logical enough in context.

The piece as a whole I found rather a challenge for
    the ear; but one can surely say without a moment
    of hesitation that it is most definitely... Wayland!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Richard, I wonder where you come up with titles,
    sometimes -- you just know we're going to ask... lol.

Happypachy? A lost tribe of very cheeful American
    Indians, perhaps?

I'd agree with you that the section around 3:00/fwd.
    is the highlight of the piece; it rather caught me by
    surprise... though it's logical enough in context.

The piece as a whole I found rather a challenge for
    the ear; but one can surely say without a moment
    of hesitation that it is most definitely... Wayland!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Happypachy = Happy Pachyderm. Alternate titles were "Elfantine Ecstasy", "Elephant Cakewalk" and "Swingin' Elephant Dance".

I made a swing style recording, but it was very noisy, so I wiped it out. I may do it again, but upload ties up the equipment and is not good for my patience. I did use some of the upload time to begin working on a new piece.

I still don't know what made me dream of this piece, and I don't remember (already) how I constructed it! Once I start a new piece, the old work details vanish!

Richard

Hi, Richard

Thanks for the tone-clustery morning listen I just experienced. Lurching along with your Happy Pachyderm was a fun jaunt.

And I'm glad to hear you managed to re-assemble your system after the unfortunate problems you had last week. That was all due to attempts to make the KP2 work I believe? Hopefully all those problems and maze-like installation routines will be smoothed out soon. I'm still waiting for the reported problems to die down before I go for the change.

I know you're looking forward to the upcoming Garritan Steinway--meanwhile, you sure get the most out of the piano in GPO!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I am assuming this is one total improvisation. I enjoyed certain parts throughout - like the end for one example (although"the Box Player" automatically loops) so I assumed this was the end. Listened to this 3 times.

A friend (who was a much better musician than I) once told me when I gave him some of my improvised music to listen to, that actual composed music is usually better than totally improvised music-but not always. I never really agreed with that, but I can see wisdom or truth in it.

I find for myself, that going back over an improvised piece one can subtract and add, change and mold and develop the raw piece into a more recognizable, pleasing (in most cases-better) form without compomising or selling out the original feelings and thoughts that inspired the piece in the first place. I hear a lot of your soul and feeling in this piece.

The same thing happens when I design a book cover or CD cover - it is a creative process that is refined and re-defined and tweaked and tweaked until I am happy with it. I usually know when I have arrived.

Sorry for the long words but what I am suggesting is to possibly take a smaller part of this and do just that - refine and develop - Just a thought. You certainly have the ability, creativity and piano chops!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hi Richard,
    Well you certainly have an original voice - I think this was the first time I've listened to anything of yours, and I'll certainly be stopping by again in future. I'm not sure I agree about 3mins being the highlight; OK that's when it got going, but for me the gentle disruptions to the pulse, and the 'muddy' stabbing chords, in the earlier part of the piece were also really exciting. (and in the latter part for that matter).

Go Back to forum