• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Cool Dept: Microsoft Surface Announced!

Share/Bookmark

Cool Dept: Microsoft Surface Announced!

This may totally change the computing experience.

Check it out and see videos here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

This is a revolution in user-interface revolution.

"Surface, Microsoft ’s first surface computer, provides effortless interaction with digital content through natural hand gestures, touch and physical objects." Goodye mouse and keyboard.

Imagine using Surface with the upcoming Drag and Drop sampler?

I can't wait to get this.

Gary Garritan

Re: Cool Dept: Microsoft Surface Announced!

If the programming API is open to third party developers (i.e., the creativity of others not caught in Microsoft's web) then the true potential of the interface could be released. Most of what Stephen is worried about above is tied up in the packaging, marketing and software.

Outside of that, the technology is just a technology. I don't know that it's that much better than a mouse, or even much different than a tablet. Nothing is completely intuitive on a computer, everything must be learned and skills built up. The increased resolution and improved visual cues may help for many kinds of applications. I'm looking forward to it.

I've been wishing for something exactly like this to come along. One of my pet annoyances about working with Sonar is drawing in controller information using the mouse. I'd love to be able to work on a drafting-table-like surface and draw stuff in with a stylus or even my finger.

I bet it'll be priced way out of my comfort zone, though. Sorry, but I expect I'll have to wait a few years. (Decades?)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    I prefer my computer to be a tool - not a toy - I'll pass, thank you!
    I guess when we're all at the virtual orchestra, you'll be out in the woods beating a skin drum with a wooden stick. Good luck to ya...

Anybody that poo-poo's a touchscreen interface has never used a good one. And no, the self-check-out kiosk at the local chain store does not count.

This looks way cool. I can't wait to try one.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Looks fun, but it also looks like they're anticipating a massive adaption by 3rd-parties for hardware integration -- something that I don't think will happen any time soon, especially if they keep it a closed protocol.

isn't that just a big tablet pc with a fancy new name? it looks cool, don't get me wrong - but it isn't anything new is it?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I've been wishing for something exactly like this to come along. One of my pet annoyances about working with Sonar is drawing in controller information using the mouse. I'd love to be able to work on a drafting-table-like surface and draw stuff in with a stylus or even my finger.

I bet it'll be priced way out of my comfort zone, though. Sorry, but I expect I'll have to wait a few years. (Decades?)
    <whew> Add the to the list of things I'd like to be able to do in Sonar - that would be great! I love the DAW concept to death, but haven't hit that 'happy spot' with an interface...yet.

Jon

Can I play Ms. Pac-Man on it like those cocktail table video arcade consoles from 1984?
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan

I would rather see libs become usable and more intereactive and better thought out than play with a new toy that doesn't help me do more than I could have done before.
    Stephen
    But seriously, these kinds of things certainly would help with workflow and expiditing end results. If the DAW companies embraced these interfaces, it could really speed things up. If this was available 30 years ago, Someone has really been missing the boat for the last ten to twenty by not bringing this to market. I would imagine that the only people who could have afforded this ten to twenty years ago were the government and the medical industry. It's just taken a while to filter down to the masses. Besides, standard marketing in the electronics world is the art of giving small advances in technology at a time. Heaven forbid that two years ago we should have been able to have the pocket PC with 12 mega-pixel digital camera, mp3-player, cell phone with a built in projector to view larger than the tiny LCD but hey; If we all bought that then, what could they possibly sell us now? Like anything else electronic, I wont be able to afford it in the first wave to hit the market but I'll get it eventually if it becomes the way of the future. It DOES look like fun!

Eric

Go Back to forum