• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Microsoft Surface Announced

Share/Bookmark

Microsoft Surface Announced

This may totally change the computing experience.

Check it out and see videos here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

This is a revolution in user-interface revolution.

"Surface, Microsoft ’s first surface computer, provides effortless interaction with digital content through natural hand gestures, touch and physical objects." Goodye mouse and keyboard.

Imagine using Surface with the upcoming Drag and Drop sampler?

I can't wait to get this.

Gary Garritan

Wink Re: Microsoft Surface Announced

How Cool!!!! That looks like fun.

A few revs down the road, I can imagine some really great musical applications for ths technology!

Talking Re: Microsoft Surface Announced

Just to let you know, I've read that Apple has already patented a similar interface for possible use as a musical controller (using the same multi-touch technology in the iPhone). There have been sketches of it being used in a laptop, where you can instantly switch from a standard qwerty keyboard, to faders, knobs, piano keys, etc. for DAW control. So it's apparently already in the works according to patent drawings.

There are also the devices from JazzMutant, such as the Dexter already on the market, or shown at NAMM and Musikmesse anyway, which look like amazing DAW controllers--but very expensive. Totally unreal watching the demo videos.

Once again Microsoft is already "behind the future"...haha.

Either way I think multi-touch will likely be the future of controllers for us. You can essentially set them up to have whatever layout you want!

Re: Microsoft Surface Announced

This looks to be geared towards businesses, but think of the how expressive instruments could become with this as a controller!
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

At least us consumers will (eventually) get a benefit from Apple and Microsoft slugging it out over this new technology.

The potential for this stuff is just limitless though.
    Once it goes mainstream and gets into systems as the primary interface, I think the Desktop=>Folder/File system will have to be at least slightly redesigned.

And boy will it make DAW work and digital image editing nice!

(I wonder if it will be able to do aftertouch)

Seems very similar to this:

http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han&flashEnabled=1

"Jeff Han is a research scientist for New York University's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. Here, he demonstrates—for the first time publicly—his intuitive, "interface-free," touch-driven computer screen, which can be manipulated intuitively with the fingertips, and responds to varying levels of pressure. (Recorded February 2006 in Monterey, CA. Duration: 09:32) "

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Seems very similar to this:

http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han&flashEnabled=1

"Jeff Han is a research scientist for New York University's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. Here, he demonstrates—for the first time publicly—his intuitive, "interface-free," touch-driven computer screen, which can be manipulated intuitively with the fingertips, and responds to varying levels of pressure. (Recorded February 2006 in Monterey, CA. Duration: 09:32) "
    Now ~that's~ a great demo!

MSFT better get their multimedia people back from vacation!

Here's even better one from Jeff Han. This thing is totally amazing on an 8-foot wide panel.

http://blog.centopeia.com/2007/03/21...touch-demo-ii/

Like myramyd said, nothing really new here from Microsoft... ( http://www.jazzmutant.com/ )

The good point from Surface is the screen / object interaction.

Nice idea.
    Gabriel Plalame.

(The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.)

Jeff Han's version looks VERY similar to Microsofts... Do you think Microsoft developed the "touch" product based on Jeff Han's design?

-Alex

Go Back to forum