• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan "Drag & Drop" - Patent?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan "Drag & Drop" - Patent?

Hi.. since it's on Gary's website, I assume it's ok to discuss these often sensitive matters. Anyway, I was reading about this new Drag & Drop thing (which looks cool) and stumbled upon this:
    "With this unique patent-pending ?drag and drop? interface, the new sample engine will allow Garritan to tailor instruments in any way imaginable."
    So now I'm curious. What exactly is it that's being patended - and is it even possible? I assume it's the draging of instruments onto a virtual stage. However it looks like WIVI has this implemented, and VSL's MIR might be very similar. So what will this all mean?

Re: Garritan "Drag & Drop" - Patent?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi.. since it's on Gary's website, I assume it's ok to discuss these often sensitive matters. Anyway, I was reading about this new Drag & Drop thing (which looks cool) and stumbled upon this:

So now I'm curious. What exactly is it that's being patended - and is it even possible? I assume it's the draging of instruments onto a virtual stage. However it looks like WIVI has this implemented, and VSL's MIR might be very similar. So what will this all mean?
    I can't imagin ayone getting an exclusive on the concept of "drag and drop". Maybe it's the engine behind the functions that's patented. Gary is a lawyer, so he probably knows.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Gary is a lawyer, so he probably knows.....
    Gary's a lawyer??? But he's so nice! What gives?

p.s.: my father-in-law was a lawyer too...

Gary's a lawyer?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa...........

hehe - I thought that was pretty common knowledge around these parts.

From here: http://www.garritan.com/dragdrop.html

"We have been working on this interface for several years to provide an easier and simpler system to load and mix software musical instruments", says Gary Garritan, inventor of the drag and drop interface.
    I'm sure, Gary, you can easily get some royalties from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, etc since they use drag and drop interface pretty heavily?

Off topic, but I heard that iHop is suing Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    "Drag and drop" has been around a long while. Even the basic concept of dragging of instrument icons has been done long before (some programs in the 90's did it). We demonstrated our interface at NAMM and many seemed to like it.

What we have invented and applied for is a unique implementation of drag and drop. Our particular interface has some unique and different features and functionality. This is what is being applied for. Of course, I cannot go into details now as the patent is pending.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Gary's a lawyer?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa...........
    Long ago, in another life, I practiced law. Mostly contract law dealing with international agreements, real estate, and various other contracts. Boring stuff. Left it long ago to be a professional musician and happy I did. Music is much more interesting and enjoyable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    I'm sure, Gary, you can easily get some royalties from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, etc since they use drag and drop interface pretty heavily?
    Drag and drop may have been first invented by early cavemen. Early cave drawings show this early patent:
    Achhktung, holder of Patent No. 1 for Method and Apparatus to Drag and Drop for Aquiring Food. A system of attaching heavy rock on stick to strike on head of wilderbeast and using said stick to "drag and drop" said winderbeast onto fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    Gary's a lawyer??? But he's so nice! What gives?
    There are more nice lawyers out there (and even in here) than you (or anyone) might imagine...

Alan
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Achhktung, holder of Patent No. 1 for Method and Apparatus to Drag and Drop for Aquiring Food. A system of attaching heavy rock on stick to strike on head of wilderbeast and using said stick to "drag and drop" said winderbeast onto fire.
    Two details are noticeable:

1. The first patent was a german one (this seems to be correct to me).
    2. I suppose what was dragged and dropped first was the wife.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum