• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXS vs K2

Share/Bookmark

EXS vs K2

So, I took the plunge... I switched from an all-PC set up to a Mac Pro/Logic solution which I'm very excited about. (I'll be happy to see Giga go....) ...

Well, except for the fact that I have all of these old Giga 2.5 libraries...

No problem, I've been told, EXS can convert those libraries (particularly the SAM brass stuff) and they'll work great. And, too, I have a multi format disc of the Seven Seas Grand Piano from Sampletekk.

I'm new to EXS, really new, and my question is this: if I have Logic Pro, I have EXS24... so, will the Giga stuff work as before once converted, or do you lose playability? I've heard some stuff about losing velocity layers and whatnot, so maybe the 7CG wouldnt work out so well on EXS? And, finally, the SAM brass stuff I have is solid, GS 2.5. Is the crossgrade to multiformat really necessary?

I guess I'm just not sure if EXS will suffice for what I need here, or if I need to invest in K2 for better playability...

Again, I know nothing just yet, so any advice and much understanding is greatly appreciated!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: EXS vs K2

Any takers?
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Congrats on your new set-up!

I have converted a handful of libraries from Giga to EXS, however, Sam's wasn't one of them, so I can't refer to that one directly.

I can tell you though, that based on my (limited) experience converting giga to EXS, it appears a good amount of the giga programming does make it through.

The one constant exception I found was dynamic layers. If, for instance, soft, medium, and loud samples appear on different layers, and are crossfaded via the modwheel in the original programming, the mod wheel functionality doesn't come through.

But because the EXS conversion was smart enough to put these "layers" on what the EXS calls "Groups", fixing this is pretty easy.

Beyond that, I think you'll enjoy the EXS. It's not a fancy sampler, by any means, but it is a solid one. It's extremely CPU friendly within Logic as well. It is not multi-timbral, but don't let that throw you. You can load as many EXS's into Logic as your system can handle. I've had well over 30 EXS instances loaded along with other AI's, audio tracks, plug-ins, etc...

You might not need Kontakt right away, but I do feel it's a good piece of software to own. Many libraries are now being released in only Giga and Kontakt 2, and although the EXS can convert giga 2 and 2.5, it can not convert giga 3. So any new libraries that have come out, in say the last year or two, for giga, would be inaccessible to you, using the EXS alone.

At least as an owner of Kontakt 2, you can buy these libraries in their native format.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    So, I took the plunge... I switched from an all-PC set up to a Mac Pro/Logic solution which I'm very excited about. (I'll be happy to see Giga go....) ...

Well, except for the fact that I have all of these old Giga 2.5 libraries...

No problem, I've been told, EXS can convert those libraries (particularly the SAM brass stuff) and they'll work great. And, too, I have a multi format disc of the Seven Seas Grand Piano from Sampletekk.

I'm new to EXS, really new, and my question is this: if I have Logic Pro, I have EXS24... so, will the Giga stuff work as before once converted, or do you lose playability? I've heard some stuff about losing velocity layers and whatnot, so maybe the 7CG wouldnt work out so well on EXS? And, finally, the SAM brass stuff I have is solid, GS 2.5. Is the crossgrade to multiformat really necessary?

I guess I'm just not sure if EXS will suffice for what I need here, or if I need to invest in K2 for better playability...

Again, I know nothing just yet, so any advice and much understanding is greatly appreciated!

Steve
    Giga is apprently a very loose format so how much of what gets lost in translation to EXS24 depends on how the programmer wrote it.

I have lots of converted giga libraries and overall I am satified.

7CG is fine in EXS24. Listen to my "Eleanor Rigby" demo on the Sampletekk site done with it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks to both of you for your advice!

Would anyone be willing and able to tell me a bit about the conversion process with EXS24? How is it done, exactly, and, is it difficult? Also, this bit about "groups" is confusing as well. (SAM brass has tons of modwheel crossfaded stuff which I'd need to use, so what's been said so far concerns me...

Also, everyone I've spoken to says EXS is very powerful, so I am excited. Although what I've seen of its interface doesn't seem to be as intuitive. Is anyone willing to share some more tips concerning getting the most out of it as a tool, or where to go to read tutorials, etc? Just curious.

Thanks a ton,

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

The conversion is a simple process.

You place the giga file in the EXS Sampler Instruments folder

user(~)>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Isntruments

If you have Logic open when you do this, make sure you hit "refresh" from the EXS's pull down instrument menu (where you load sounds). This will "refresh" the view, and now you will see the giga file in and amongst the EXS instruments.

Select it, like you were selecting an instrument to load, and by doing so, the conversion will start automatically.

When it's finished, there will be new .exs instrument files placed in that same "Sampler Instruments" folder. The samples themselves will be placed in a folder called "DSL-Giga".

As for "Groups", just think of it as a "layer"... a common set of parameters for a group of samples. Such as all pp samples go in group 1, all mf samples in Group 2, etc...

Telling the EXS to crossfade from group to group, via the modwheel, is a simple thing to do.

But wait and see how Sam's converts. It may convert just fine. If not, we'll try and talk you through the editing.

In the meantime, bury your head in the manual. Logic has a Plug-in Reference manual built into the Help menu. Go to the EXS chapter, and dig in.

Also, load some factory sounds, open the EXS sample editor, and start looking around. You'll need to be a bit further along to be able to grasp some stuff... so get busy!

Yessir, I sure will! Thanks for the advice!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum