• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Good celesta sample??

Share/Bookmark

Good celesta sample??

Hello guys...I bougth GPO some time ago and think it's very good, if you know how to use it, but the Celesta is one of its weak points.

I was wondering how can I get a good celesta. As I am a huge fan of John Williams scores' such as ET, Harry Potter, Hook, Star Wars I use the celesta(and chromatical percussion in general) a lot in my compositions.

Is there a soundfont bank, or library where I can get a good Celesta(and maybe a Music Box too).

Thank you friends

Best regards...

Re: Good celesta sample??

How much do you want to spend? Project SAM's True Strike includes a nice one. You can only get it as part of the complete library, though, which is around $400 or so (may be cheaper somewhere). http://www.projectsam.com/libraries_ext_01.html

There's also one included in PMI's Orchestral Instruments, available from Sampletekk for $15. http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail...VER-008-FORMAT
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

http://www.store.precisionsound.net/ has a JenCo Celesta for something like $25. You can listen to the demos.

You might want to check this one out too:

http://www.store.precisionsound.net/celesteinfo.php

I feel sacriligeous even discussing other libraries here in the Garritan forum, but I quite like the X-sample celeste, which comes on the same disc as the rather nice harp.

I got to this thread from "Today's Active Topics," so I didn't notice the forum until after I had posted. Sorry about that.

Hi, Renan

Naturally there's no arguing with other people's perceptions, but as someone who has used the GPO Celeste quite often and who thinks it sounds great---I'm wondering if you can describe what you don't like about it?

Have you used the sustain pedal with it, the way it's programmed?

Pingu, no need to worry about being sacreligious in your reply, because the X-samples are GPO, just alternate voices which run direct from disc. --Maybe you should see if you prefer that one, Renan.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Guys, thank you for answering.

Randy, actually I didn't know about this pedal feature, could you tell me more?

I do think GPO is a major orchestral library, and the main trouble I found was this Celesta.

Another point I have noticed is that most of the libraries does not feature a Music Box. Ok I can simulate a Music Box by mixing Celesta, Glock and Glass...and then adjust here and there and done...got a music-box-like sound. But why don't they put some music box in the library?

Best Regards...

One of the updates caused the celesta sustain pedal to not work correctly. This has been fixed in the latest Kontakt 2 player.

Jim

Hello again, Renan

Jim, "Haydn" just now addressed something interesting.

But first, in preparation for answering you, I loaded the Celesta to make sure I gave you correct information.

This must be because of what Jim says on your thread here, but for me, the sustain pedal (generating standard cc64) HAS to be engaged for the Celesta to play right.

It suddenly came back to me, that the instrument doesn't sound right at all without the pedal--the tone cuts off unnaturally. It's awful--As you've said.

But with the sustain DOWN, the instrument rings out the way it should, and sounds great.

That's always seemed backwards to me--Jim's note has to explain this behavior.

I'm betting this is the problem you're having with the Celesta. Try it--Just a standard sustain pedal, or draw in cc64 in a controller pane--AND make sure the GPO Kontact Player is set for MIDI Control with the sustain, not Standard (piano) sustain.

As for your question about why a Music Box isn't included in GPO---That's a sound which is part of the General MIDI spec, the 127 instruments which are systemized with that standard. So of course you see/hear a lot of Music Boxes in programs, in Sound Fonts etc- But GPO isn't a General MIDI library. It's reason for existing is to provide all the instruments found in a classical symphony orchestra.--And, Music Box isn't a standard instrument.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum