• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: classical piano piece.

Share/Bookmark

classical piano piece.

This piece uses jabb steinway. It is a classical style song. Any comments are welcome.
    thanks -jay

as of june 03, I have applied the dynamic problem suggestions to the mp3 so that issue should be corrected. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

www.katejesse.com/canyon.mp3

Re: classical piano piece.

Good work on this, Jay. For some reason, it brings to
    mind the piano parlors from the turn of the (last) century...
    the flavor of that atmosphere where such as Liszt and
    Chopin plied their craft and art.

A well built piece, this, and a special pleasure for me as
    I watch late afternoon blend into evening, here... just the
    right ending for a summer day.

I think I'll go listen another time or two...

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I really enjoyed this piano piece. It has a very Romantic feel to it.
    Trent P. McDonald

I liked this more and more as it progressed. My only hesitation regards the dynamics - it seems to my ears that when things get soft, the piano gets farther away. Maybe this is the mp3 compression and my lousy speakers at work...Also, perhaps a touch more reverb/ambience? Still, take these as suggestions: the piece is very nice as it is, and made for very enjoyable listening.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    I liked this more and more as it progressed. My only hesitation regards the dynamics - it seems to my ears that when things get soft, the piano gets farther away. Maybe this is the mp3 compression and my lousy speakers at work...Also, perhaps a touch more reverb/ambience? Still, take these as suggestions: the piece is very nice as it is, and made for very enjoyable listening.

All the best,
    I heard the same thing - when the piano got quieter it sounded like somebody turning down the volume, not a piano playing pp. The effect wasn't bad or distracting and the composition is so good I didn't say anything in my first post.
    Trent P. McDonald

A very romantic feel and a nice composition! I like this!

Jay, I think you used specially the equalizer to create this sound or is it a result of your reverb plugin?

From where do the jumps come in the volume?

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very nice waltz, Mr. Jay. It contains some creative, subtle counterpoint from time to time. I like it (except for the above-mentioned changes in dynamics).

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello, Jay

What a wonderful composition! It's a refreshing experience, hearing a straight forward, old-fashioned Song here in The Listening Room. I really appreciate you posting this!

I went straight to the MP3 before reading the thread, but now that I've read the responses, I can see that the others heard the same problem which jumped out at me as I listened.

I'm rather sure I know what happened here--It's something I recognize from my own experience:

--You worked a lot with the audio faders before doing the final mix-down. You were working with automation or envelopes either on the VSTi tracks, or on audio renderings of the MIDI tracks. Yes?

And while that's an important, even crucial step when doing a mix--One has to be Very subtle and careful when working with a solo instrument as you are here. Volume changes are much more exposed and audible with a soloist, whereas in a mix with a full orchestra, for instance, rather stark volume changes don't jump out as being artificial. See what I mean?

In your recording, at 1:11, 1:23, 1:38--and several places beyond those times, you suddenly drop the volume in an attempt to get more dynamics in the performance. There are also corresponding jumps back up in volume.

But the effect is as Trent described it--as if the volume knob is being played with instead of the effect of the pianist breathing dynamics into the performance.

Those shifts in volume need to be done with velocity--how hard the keys are struck. If your original MIDI file is too much at all the same volume, then edit the velocities. In Sonar a very helpful tool is available where you select an area of your track and drop or raise the velocities by a percentage. That maintains the integrity of all the velocity variation, just at a relatively lower or higher value.

Hand-editing is possible too of course, but you just need to be careful that all the random variety in velocity values aren't destroyed.

Velocity variation changes the timbre quality too, so that softer notes are darker sounding, louder notes are brighter--as in the case of an actual acoustic piano.

Dropping the volume of a .wav file makes no change in the timbre--thus the artificiality of the results.

Recapping--this kind of dramatic volume envelope work does work with larger ensemble mixes, but with a solo performance, it has to be done very carefully to avoid the up-and-down volume knob effect.

Hope this is helpful!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

David, thanks for listening. I am glad to hear that you liked my song and listened more than once.

trentpmcd, rpearl, gunther, larry, randy, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. I am pleased that you liked the piece. I did do a lot of screwing around on this thing, going from notation to sequencer, adjusting volume here and there and everywhere. I think I just got totally carried away with dynamics. Randy, you are right, I did work with the audio faders before mixdown. I just did not notice the effect on the final product until you guys brought it to my attention. I will take your suggestions seriously, in an attemp to avoid this issue in the future. And thanks Randy for the additional advice. Much appreciated.
    -Jay

I really enjoyed this, Jay

As mentioned.. very distinctive of the romantic era.

Your main theme is quite nice. The shifts in minor somehow give it a darker/mysterious tone.

And a great realization... Sounds as though it was played live!

Great work!

~Jeff

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast