• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DFD & Kontakt Player 2

Share/Bookmark

DFD & Kontakt Player 2

I've noticed that there is no on or off switch for the DFD feature in KP2. It appears from my POV that the DFD function may not be working in KP2 because there is no activity on the disk meter. After loading 4 to 5 instruments from JABB, I get a warning saying that I'm low on memory. CPU is running low.

I am currently running Mac 8 core/ 1GB ram. Any thoughts? Maybe more ram? <yes, yes. More Ram.> I thought that DFD was supposed to help eliviate this problem.

Best,

Peter.
    Peter Buchta
    pbuchta@earthlink.net
    Mac Book Pro 1.85/1GB Ram, Mac 8 core 3Ghz/1 GB Ram, NI Komplete 4, NI Kore, NI Tracktor 3.2, Garritan GPO, Jazz, Strativarius, MOTU DP 5.12, Traveler, Novation Remote61, K2661, Yamaha NS10M, Waves Native, Bias Peak, FCP.

Re: DFD & Kontakt Player 2

From that massed jumble of posts that went up in the wake of KP2's release, I recall it being said that the DFD X-Custom samples no longer work.

I await a clear list of what to know about KP2 and how to safely adapt it along side the old Kontacts, since any of us with projects older than a week need to have both players available--KP1 for old projects, KP2 for the new.

And, I think we need to keep KP1 for those times we want/need to use the DFD library.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy. Unfortunately since I run Universal Binary on my mac I can no longer run KP1 as a plug in through Digital Performer. I hope that this is a problem that NI can figure out.

Best,

Peter.
    Peter Buchta
    pbuchta@earthlink.net
    Mac Book Pro 1.85/1GB Ram, Mac 8 core 3Ghz/1 GB Ram, NI Komplete 4, NI Kore, NI Tracktor 3.2, Garritan GPO, Jazz, Strativarius, MOTU DP 5.12, Traveler, Novation Remote61, K2661, Yamaha NS10M, Waves Native, Bias Peak, FCP.

Althoough DFD was supported by KP1, Garritan support page specifically warns against using it for GPO:

" DFD (Direct From Disc) EXTENSION (October 20,2004) Win XP: DFD Extension 1.2.9
    for NI GPO Kontakt Player (280 KB): Mac OS X: DFD Extension 1.2.9
    for NI GPO Kontakt Player (855KB):
    This DFD (Direct From Disk) extension for the NI KONTAKT Player enables it to stream samples from hard disk. Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) and Jazz & Big Band (JABB) was specifically designed to run in RAM (Random Access Memory) and DFD is not recommended. GPO is a small footprint library and was not intended to stream from a hard drive. Large sample libraries may require disc streaming, but this library does not and is designed as a RAM based library. Our recommended requirements as stated in the license agreement call for a minimum of 1 (one) gigabyte of RAM in order to be able to load a complete orchestra. The vast majority of GPO & JABB Users meet the recommended requirements. So the old adage applies: "If it aint broke don't fix it". If you meet the RAM requirement, you do not need DFD."

This does not unfortunately directly answer your question about the availability of DFD in KP2.

As for X-custom, it seems to me that the functionality provided by the X-custom library is now available for the regular library. So, although I have not seen this mentioned explicitly, I assume that the X-custom library is now obsolete for KP2.

Hope this helps until you get an answer from a better qualified source.

Ed

Just set DFD size to the minimum in KP2 which is 12 MB

See what happens it worked for me!

Ray

Cool Re: DFD & Kontakt Player 2

Thanks Edi and Tom.

I think that the problem is that I need more ram at this point. It seems that 1GB is not enough. I remember when 16MB ram was awesome. I guess what I'll do is load up the ol' Mac with 4GB and see how she runs. Currently I can get up to about 4 saxes and 3 trumpets without any glitches running sequences on DP5.12. The problem is when the strings kick in. Then everything is a mess. I'm running about 16 virtual sample instruments on KP2 in DP5.12 and the CPU load is barely cracking a sweat, creeping up to 10-12% at most across some of the 8 processors. Memory is another issue. It says that I have 12MB free memory when idle. (That ain't too good.) Will keep you posted after I get the 4GB in the machine. (HooBoy! Can't wait.)

Pete.
    Peter Buchta
    pbuchta@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Just set DFD size to the minimum in KP2 which is 12 MB

See what happens it worked for me!

Ray
    Hi Ray:

I tried that last night and noticed a reduction in memory useage, so DFD must be working. I still wasn't able to have all the instruments play at once, so I will load in more memory next week and see what happens.

Thanks,

Pete.
    Peter Buchta
    pbuchta@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by pbuchta
    Hi Ray:

...I will load in more memory next week and see what happens.

It's a good time to do it. RAM is quite unbelievably cheap at the moment. I just now noticed it at $30 a gig at New Egg for the lowest priced good ones. So I ordered some too.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lallis
    It's a good time to do it. RAM is quite unbelievably cheap at the moment. I just now noticed it at $30 a gig at New Egg for the lowest priced good ones. So I ordered some too.

Larry
    Yea. For the Mac Pro they are a lot more money. Cheapest that I've found is on Ebay. 8GB for $599. Best, Pete.
    Peter Buchta
    pbuchta@earthlink.net

Unhappy Re: DFD & Kontakt Player 2

Be happy you don't have an older Dell Dimension 8200.

It's $300 to $400 per gig to update RAM.

- k

Go Back to forum