• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pianoteq TruePianos Shoot Out

Share/Bookmark

Pianoteq TruePianos Shoot Out

If you're considering getting either of these two piano synths (or Art Vista's Virtual Grand) you might be interested in this. I recently posted a couple of songs in the songs forum and a few people mentioned they were interested in hearing them as samples done with TruePianos, and that it would be cool to hear them with Pianoteq as well for comparison's sake. So I put up a page with the two songs done not just with these two modeled pianos but with Art Vista's Virtual Grand Piano as well. Personally, I'm not sure which versions I like best. They are definetely different though. I actually think all three sound pretty good. I should point out I only have the trial version of Pianoteq, which means a couple of notes are missing, but they are on extreme ends of the piano and were rarely used in these songs.

I'd be very interested in knowing which versions people like. The two songs are very different from each other and both are very short (2-3 minutes).

You can hear them here: on this page

Re: Pianoteq TruePianos Shoot Out

Very happy about this thread as it deals with 3 of the most interesting pianos.
    The ArtVista piano is still my favourite because it has so much character. I did a harddisk cleanout a week ago but the ArtVista stayed (together with Sampletekk´s BG and the PMI Boesendorfer).
    I have tried the Pianoteq but I´m not quite sure if I´m happy. The cpu load is very low and the tweakability is great but it still has something unnatural with the sustain sounding slightly plastic. Hard to describe. Then I tried the TruePianos demo. The basic sound is very good, but it´s not a piano for ppp parts and it lacks piano noises and tweakability. I might end up with the new Bluethner which is my favourite from the demos.

Now my judgement for your demos (very nice btw)

Music Box
    1. ArtVista VG
    2. Truepianos
    3. Pianoteq

Jen Liked
    1. TruePianos
    2. ArtVista
    3. Pianoteq

I can´t help. It seems I still like the Virtual Grand.
    What do YOU think?
    regards
    Raindog

I don't have the ArtVista piano, but PianoTeq and TruePianos are both great instruments. I think of them as two different tools in the arsenal of sounds instead of as competing pianos. They have different timbres and perspectives. You can record with both and get a sound that I doubt almost anyone would suspect was not a real piano. PianoTeq, on the other hand, offers much more in the way of manipulating the sound. I'm not sure it's reasonable to even post a demo that says "This is the way PianoTeq sounds." You can manipulate almost every aspect of the sound.

In any case, both instruments are excellent. If choosing, choose either, and then start saving up for the other.

And the demos of the ArtVista piano make me want it, too.

For my taste, the TruePianos rang truest. Pianoteq is quite bright, and had too much hammer thud (adjustable, of course, and I'd be curious how close you could model the TruePianos sound just A/B'ing. Which Art Vista piano? They have such wonderful character, but I always wind up sounding out of tune in a mix. I love it for solo work, though, where that space has a chance to develop. But for the slow piece, I still preferred TP - it's my kind of piano tone - and one I don't have - yet. Didn't think it would matter, I use Colossus Steinway and it sounds great on-stage. But may have to re-think...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

intersting discussion here...well i just need a help...i'm still using Ivory (especially the steinway)....i would like to jump to a synth piano ..any suggestion?? or ivory is still better? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    For my taste, the TruePianos rang truest. Pianoteq is quite bright, and had too much hammer thud (adjustable, of course, and I'd be curious how close you could model the TruePianos sound just A/B'ing. Which Art Vista piano? They have such wonderful character, but I always wind up sounding out of tune in a mix. I love it for solo work, though, where that space has a chance to develop. But for the slow piece, I still preferred TP - it's my kind of piano tone - and one I don't have - yet. Didn't think it would matter, I use Colossus Steinway and it sounds great on-stage. But may have to re-think...
    Same here. I mainly use the ArtVista VG for intimate solo work because it has a certain character that I like. It doesn´t blend too well in mixes but in my opinion most sampled pianos sound right in a dense mix whereas solo performance is often a problem.

I still find something unnatural with both Pianoteq and TruePianos though I appreciate the possibilities (repedalling, resonance simulation) as well as the low cpu demand. You can use most sample pianos with Kontakt scripts to simulate the Pianoteq resonance and repedalling such as Kornel Mezo´s script but they use A LOT of cpu (at least here on my Mac).
    So it seems there is not THE piano but some really good ones where the user can choose from.

regards
    Raindog

Hi,
    I have tried Truepianos (Diamond, resonance disabled) and Pianoteq (trial version) together under Brainspawn Forte. It is the best piano I have ever heard. The sound in Truepianos is superior but Pianoteq adds programmability ad a great resonance effect. The two pianos seem perfectly tuned. With less than 100Mb you have a piano whose sound and playability is far superior to 30Gb libraries, and loads in a few seconds. 40% CPU load on a 2.5GHz P4 with pedal down and lot of notes.
    Just my opinion
    Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo
    Hi,
    I have tried Truepianos (Diamond, resonance disabled) and Pianoteq (trial version) together under Brainspawn Forte. It is the best piano I have ever heard. The sound in Truepianos is superior but Pianoteq adds programmability ad a great resonance effect. The two pianos seem perfectly tuned. With less than 100Mb you have a piano whose sound and playability is far superior to 30Gb libraries, and loads in a few seconds. 40% CPU load on a 2.5GHz P4 with pedal down and lot of notes.
    Just my opinion
    Angelo
    Do you mean you're using both pianos at the same time?

Yes,
    at the same time.
    Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo
    Yes,
    at the same time.
    Angelo
    Sounds very impressive but stresses my cpu too much (Mac G5 2 x 2,5 GHz)
    Raindog

Go Back to forum