• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MY REQUIEM - (R. Kemp) in progress

Share/Bookmark

Wink MY REQUIEM - (R. Kemp) in progress

Following requests to extend my Requiem here is the second from last movement.
    Yes I've changed them around from my original order.
    confusing or what!

R. Kemp conducting the GPO
    Requiem - two movements coffin and mourners leaving the church

re-mix more space between instruments - fixed some notes?

I'm pleased to say that this movement has reached #2 in the SoundClick symphonic chart
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 07-10-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: update info both movements improved

Re: MY REQUIEM - (R. Kemp) in progress

Very dramatic piece; I like what you've got so far..
    :49-:53 - the string harmony here is beautiful
    1:42 - the stop here destroys the flow, but I am assuming it is just because you are still working on it (?)
    To me this piece seems more fitting to the coffin carrying than the other; actually I can picture a camera shot showing upwards flight while the church, graveyard and mourners dwindle in the distance (as if the camera was mounted -pointing down- on the bottom of a rocket ) .. not implying you will be heading that direction, but I think we all get to fly for a few minutes before settling on a destination.
    I really enjoyed this.

Hi, Ray

I listened to this first thing this morning, and decided to come back to it again before writing something on your thread.

Now I've listened again, and it's confirmed what I felt this morning--That I need to respond to the work purely as a piece of music, divorced from its title and intended use. Why? Because the piece is so dramatic and even urgent with the chugging rhythm of the strings, that it's confusing me to think of it only in the context you've outlined. For me to respond, I need to think of it as simply music--regardless of its intended purpose. --And I don't mean that as a criticism. I just mean that when I picture this playing as mourners file out of a church--I feel I'm in the middle of a HUge epic movie where The King has died, something like that--and it distracts me from the music itself.

The essential core thing about this piece is how vividly it shows what an extremely musical mind and soul it comes from. I think I've said something like that before--that when I listen to your music, I'm always struck by how robust your musicality is. So admirable.

As a piece rooted in traditional Western Harmonic theory, I think its various elements could be more strongly united. I mean that perhaps its structure could be a bit less meandering and the music would emerge even more strongly. Or, just the opposite--if it had more dissonance and unpredictable elements, then the piece could be even Less structured.

Sounds to me like your sense of balance and of crafting a strong mix is certainly shining through. You said you want notes on the mix, or is it on the structure of the music itself you want feedback on--?

It was certainly an effectively dramatic listen, tragic in tone, rather bold in its demands to evoke an emotional response in the listener.

There are some deep waters running beneath that dry wit of yours, my Scottish friend.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by chesterdesmond
    Very dramatic piece; I like what you've got so far..
    :49-:53 - the string harmony here is beautiful
    1:42 - the stop here destroys the flow, but I am assuming it is just because you are still working on it (?)
    To me this piece seems more fitting to the coffin carrying than the other; actually I can picture a camera shot showing upwards flight while the church, graveyard and mourners dwindle in the distance (as if the camera was mounted -pointing down- on the bottom of a rocket ) .. not implying you will be heading that direction, but I think we all get to fly for a few minutes before settling on a destination.
    I really enjoyed this.
    Thank you kindly, for listening and commenting.

I think you’re right about which piece for which bit of the service.
    Basically I’m writing in the dark as I go along. It’s just my feelings which carry me on.
    I have no theory what so ever in how it all works. I just do what I think works with the instruments I’m using.

Thanks again

Ray

I just mean that when I picture this playing as mourners file out of a church--I feel I'm in the middle of a HUge epic movie where The King has died, something like that--
    if he keeps it up, who's to say this won't be the case ??

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ray

I listened to this first thing this morning, and decided to come back to it again before writing something on your thread.

Now I've listened again, and it's confirmed what I felt this morning--That I need to respond to the work purely as a piece of music, divorced from its title and intended use. Why? Because the piece is so dramatic and even urgent with the chugging rhythm of the strings, that it's confusing me to think of it only in the context you've outlined. For me to respond, I need to think of it as simply music--regardless of its intended purpose. --And I don't mean that as a criticism. I just mean that when I picture this playing as mourners file out of a church--I feel I'm in the middle of a HUge epic movie where The King has died, something like that--and it distracts me from the music itself.

The essential core thing about this piece is how vividly it shows what an extremely musical mind and soul it comes from. I think I've said something like that before--that when I listen to your music, I'm always struck by how robust your musicality is. So admirable.

As a piece rooted in traditional Western Harmonic theory, I think its various elements could be more strongly united. I mean that perhaps its structure could be a bit less meandering and the music would emerge even more strongly. Or, just the opposite--if it had more dissonance and unpredictable elements, then the piece could be even Less structured.

Sounds to me like your sense of balance and of crafting a strong mix is certainly shining through. You said you want notes on the mix, or is it on the structure of the music itself you want feedback on--?

It was certainly an effectively dramatic listen, tragic in tone, rather bold in its demands to evoke an emotional response in the listener.

There are some deep waters running beneath that dry wit of yours, my Scottish friend.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

Thanks for your meandering thoughts. In this case (only) I’m joking, You’ve hit the nail on the head with this reply. Structure to me is normally three verses with a middle eight and a guitar solo.
    I pride myself with this orchestral “STUFF” in having as little structure as possible. Maybe learning some structure would completely kill my imagination. So following your post here, I’m going to try and always write this way because it’s likely to produce the most surprises. To me anyway, because I sit here and think someone has taken over my pop mercenary guitar playing body. The aliens have got me. I’m under their spell. I’m aboard their flying banana.

Excuse my lack of imagination in giving my music a box to go in.
    Organ & Orchestra, Church, when am I in one. FUNERALS. Simple! or what.

My Best

Ray

Ray,
    Another cool (+Organ) dramatic tune!

Thanks,

Long

Ray,

This piece is quite well and clearly structured.

Ray, people tend to think of form and structure in terms of
    rigid, pre-established shapes and thematic procedures.
    However, from perhaps the late 1800's forward, this becomes
    a much more flexible matter; with the most important element
    being that the scaffolding supports and forwards the piece;
    which, indeed, is the case here: It's cohesive, makes perfect
    sense, and carries the material as it should.

A few general comments:

The Four Horsemen: Dynamics, Tempi, Phrasing and
    Articulation... I know you're still beating this one into sub-
    mission, so other than mentioning I think the piece would
    benefit by more clarity in the presentation of the material
    by more attention to these, I'll shut my face.

Ray, you know you cannot trust my ears, so you can
    ignore this, I'm probably wrong: but the strings in this
    seemed to sound a bit too richly harmonic, perhaps (that
    is, something with EQ maybe).

Again, there's some golden writing in this, Ray... quite
    beautiful on the one hand, moving; and technically very
    well put together. Very strong work, my friend.

I do hope the third movement will be the after party?

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHong
    Ray,
    Another cool (+Organ) dramatic tune!

Thanks,

Long
    Long,

I much appreciate your opinion on this offering.
    Although it's quite dark I had fun doing it.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Ray,

This piece is quite well and clearly structured.

Ray, people tend to think of form and structure in terms of
    rigid, pre-established shapes and thematic procedures.
    However, from perhaps the late 1800's forward, this becomes
    a much more flexible matter; with the most important element
    being that the scaffolding supports and forwards the piece;
    which, indeed, is the case here: It's cohesive, makes perfect
    sense, and carries the material as it should.

A few general comments:

The Four Horsemen: Dynamics, Tempi, Phrasing and
    Articulation... I know you're still beating this one into sub-
    mission, so other than mentioning I think the piece would
    benefit by more clarity in the presentation of the material
    by more attention to these, I'll shut my face.

Ray, you know you cannot trust my ears, so you can
    ignore this, I'm probably wrong: but the strings in this
    seemed to sound a bit too richly harmonic, perhaps (that
    is, something with EQ maybe).

Again, there's some golden writing in this, Ray... quite
    beautiful on the one hand, moving; and technically very
    well put together. Very strong work, my friend.

I do hope the third movement will be the after party?

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

Thanks indeed for the information you provide me with.
    I’m always getting ahead of myself in publishing work before I’m totally happy with it, although I can’t see that day ever coming where I wait. Yes you bring back faint memories with the four horsemen. School tutoring to deaf ears. I wish I’d listened more. I also strive to get the clarity you hope for in the orchestration recording. I will succeed eventually. The richness of the strings? Again you are right on the button. If like you and many others I treated the orchestra as a real deal, I wouldn’t use the full string patch as a note pad for my ideas. I can repair this by separating the string sections. Actually I used 2nd Violins and Cellos for the short bow work but the full strings are still in there creating the too rich harmonics.
    I really don’t know where this stuff comes from David. I’ve absolutely no history of working in this genre. I sit, I play, I say “oh that works” on to the next bit. The problem is, already with this piece, I can’t tell you or anyone what I was trying to achieve. I just started and this is what came out.

Kind Regards

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast