• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Topic: "In Gentle Motion"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "In Gentle Motion"

    Hi everyone,

    I would like to share with you a little quiet piano piece I composed lately. Hope you enjoy it!

    In Gentle Motion

    Yudit

  2. #2

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by sunbird
    Hi everyone,

    I would like to share with you a little quiet piano piece I composed lately. Hope you enjoy it!

    http://www.box.net/shared/csosgfknl0
    That's a very nice, quiet, pastoral composition. I like your music itself but I don't like the overall sound of the piano. I can't quite put my finger on it but the piano sound, especially the right hand, leaves something to be desired. What piano did you use? It doesn't sound like any of the Garritan instruments.

    Thanks for sharing your fine music with us.

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  3. #3

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Hi, Sunbird

    It's very good to see you placing some music here for us all to hear!

    It's a very pretty song, with a well chosen title. I've gotten so accustomed to hearing pieces that move into several different keys, starting with my own!,--that I find it refreshing to hear this gentle, pleasantly simple piece which stays right there in just one key. Nice.

    I imagine everyone, not just the three of us so far on this thread, will be curious about the sound you used for this. Is it a layering of some things from GPO? I thought perhaps one of the Harps was involved, muted with the pedal?--This certainly isn't a Garritan piano though.

    Let us know how you achieved this sound. It's interesting, though muted and dull sounding in its tone. Your composition would benefit from a nice semi-bright piano.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  4. #4

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's a very nice, quiet, pastoral composition. I like your music itself but I don't like the overall sound of the piano. I can't quite put my finger on it but the piano sound, especially the right hand, leaves something to be desired. What piano did you use? It doesn't sound like any of the Garritan instruments.

    Thanks for sharing your fine music with us.

    Larry
    Thanks Larry for for listening to my piece and for your gentle words.
    You are right, it isn't a Garritan piano. I was writing it while waiting for GPO to arrive in the mail... , and I was impatient to finish it with HA.
    Having played a soft sounding piano all my life I used a European piano. I added a touch of 'bass' and 'resonator resonance' to get the sound I wanted. Usually I play with pedal, but here I somehow couldn't achieve the effect I wanted, so it's without pedal which isn't sustaining the melody to stream as I would have liked it to do... (sigh)

  5. #5

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    That's beautiful, Sunbird! As Larry said, very pastoral. Makes me think I'm by a running stream in the country.

    I agree with Ol' Lare that the piano sound is odd. It's very muted --- no high-end on it or sustain to speak of. Maybe you recorded it in the 1930's? Just joking! Nothing that can't be fixed easily. I'm also curious what piano you used. Maybe you intended it to sound that way --- kinda like John Lennon's piano on "Imagine."

    Anyway, nice composing, and welcome to the club!

    Ern
    Hi Ern and thanks for listening and for commenting.
    I like your picture of that running stream in the country to go with my music...
    1930? LOL I wasn't even born then... so it couldn't have been me...
    See what I wrote about the piano in my answer to Larry.
    I hope I will be able soon to compose for an orchestra. For the time being I write for the piano and for a string orchestra.
    I listened to your 'Elegy'. A Wonderful and inspiring composition!!

  6. #6

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Sunbird

    It's very good to see you placing some music here for us all to hear!

    It's a very pretty song, with a well chosen title. I've gotten so accustomed to hearing pieces that move into several different keys, starting with my own!,--that I find it refreshing to hear this gentle, pleasantly simple piece which stays right there in just one key. Nice.

    I imagine everyone, not just the three of us so far on this thread, will be curious about the sound you used for this. Is it a layering of some things from GPO? I thought perhaps one of the Harps was involved, muted with the pedal?--This certainly isn't a Garritan piano though.

    Let us know how you achieved this sound. It's interesting, though muted and dull sounding in its tone. Your composition would benefit from a nice semi-bright piano.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Good to hear from you again, Randy, and thanks for your comments.
    See my answer to Larry about the piano I used.
    I think you are right about the semi-bright piano. Now that I have GPO I might rewrite it.

    sunbird

  7. #7

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Really liked the compostion. The title says it all for me!

    Curious as to how it would sound with a different piano sound.

    thanks for sharing! - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

    http://www.mdtcommunications.com

  8. #8

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    This flows very nicely to me. It has a nice gentle touch. I think the piano could be brighter sounding and the notes could ring out a little more. A very nice piece. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

  9. #9

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Really liked the compostion. The title says it all for me!

    Curious as to how it would sound with a different piano sound.

    thanks for sharing! - Del
    Thanks Del, glad you enjoyed it. I might write it again with a different piano.
    I heard your music at SoundClick and I loved: 'For Tessa' (it just carried me off somewhere...), 'Winter impressions' (the mood catches you from the start, good instruments choice) and 'A peace movement for the middle east' (because I live in the area), so thanks for the good music!

    sunbird

  10. #10

    Re: "In Gentle Motion"

    Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    This flows very nicely to me. It has a nice gentle touch. I think the piano could be brighter sounding and the notes could ring out a little more. A very nice piece. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay
    Hi Jay and thanks for listening

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •