• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Marching Band demos?

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO Marching Band demos?

I just noticed that there is a more precise release date for the marching band library, and I was wondering if there are any demos available yet?

Re: GPO Marching Band demos?

Quote Originally Posted by maestrotim
    I just noticed that there is a more precise release date for the marching band library, and I was wondering if there are any demos available yet?
    Hi...I have no knowledge or expertise about dates, but I will post a demo piece or two as soon as I obtain permission from Mr. Garritan!

Please stay tuned!

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

yeah, i been waiting on that for a while as well. i been wanting to get that library for some time now.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Hi...I have no knowledge or expertise about dates, but I will post a demo piece or two as soon as I obtain permission from Mr. Garritan!

Please stay tuned!

Jim W.
    Jim,

I looked at the instrumentation list and had a question that I know you'd have the answer to. I see Baritones and Euphoniums both listed as separate instruments.

What's the difference?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Exclamation Re: GPO Marching Band demos?

Jeff,
    Having marched with euphoniums in drum and bugle corps I'll take your question.

The euphonium is larger with a deeper tone and stuck to a lower range than the baritone. (I should also mention that the euphonium players were more manly and good looking!)

Baritones handled the upper parts in the lower brass section and tended to get all the solos. They are smaller than euphoniums and were generally carried by those too sickly or gusto to handle a euphonium.

-Kevin

P.S. Don't believe contra players when they say they had it the worst. The girly-men could rest their instruments on their shoulders! We euph players carried all the weight in our arms.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jim,

I looked at the instrumentation list and had a question that I know you'd have the answer to. I see Baritones and Euphoniums both listed as separate instruments.

What's the difference?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Generally speaking, the euphoniums are the large-bore, conical, compensating instruments (Such as my Willson 2905/Besson Sovereign 968) and the baritones are smaller-bore, less conical instruments such as my Yamaha YBH 621 or the american "hybrid" bell-front Conns/Kings. Same pitch range, vastly different tone quality due to differing bore sizes & amount of "conicality."

This is a Yamaha 621 true baritone horn. Note the small bore compared to the euphonium. It's also less conical, relatively speaking, than the euphonium. Because of those two factors, it has a more pungent, smaller, less mellow sound than the euphonium. Outside of England, people call this a TENOR HORN, especially in Germany.

Here's a Willson euphonium:
    Bigger bore, more conical, hence bigger, mellower sound

Hope that sheds some light.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

So, for clarification. The Baritones & Tenor Horns in the lib are the British variety as opposed to the American/German variety?

I believe Tenor Horns (as known in the UK) are called Alto Horns in the States.

I love the tenor horn sound and have one of my own. Dig up some recordings by Django Bates to hear it in a jazz context. Wonderful!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Lightbulb Re: GPO Marching Band demos?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jim,

What's the difference?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Baritones and Euphoniums are both pitched in Bb, an octave below the trumpet. The baritone has a more cylindrical bore (although more conical than a trombone), while the euphonium has a more conical bore. The difference in timbre between baritone and euphonium is like the difference between trumpet and flugelhorn: the euphonium has a much broader, mellower sound. The baritone has a bit more bite.

Where I grew up (to the extent I did), it was common practice to call "bell front" euphoniums "baritone", and "bell up" euphoniums "euphoniums", although the main difference was only the direction of the bell. Parts were handed out indiscriminately.

The alto horn (aka "tenor horn" in the UK) is pitched in Eb, in between the baritone and trumpet. Sounding like a small euphonium, it has an incredibly sweet solo sound, but has sadly declined into obscurity (at least in the US).

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum