• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: which Orch perc lib

Share/Bookmark

which Orch perc lib

What are currently some of the best "complete" orchestral percussion libraries, free or otherwise?

By complete, I mean all the possible percussion instruments you might imagine, but not neccessarily all the obscure ethnic ones. but all the typical cymbals, gongs, trees, blocks, mallets, drums, etc.. Which one is best and complete?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: which Orch perc lib

Truestrike.

VSL Percussion VI .... (well, it is a VI library .... )

I have SAM True Strike 1.. haven't had anything to compare it to besides the percussion that comes with Kirk Hunter Emerald... but I think it's wonderful. One of the best sample library purchases I've made.

i have true strike 1 and Ewqlso Percussion xp ....i think they are both great

These are all highly rated. I'm glad you love them. What specific things do you think are missing or lacking in each of them? For example, why did one person buy both True strike and EWQL?

All of the suggestions so far are upwards of $500 for complete percussion. Its a little out of my budget right now unfortunately. I may have to get by with what I have already, GPO and Emerald(soon VSP), but what would be the best add-on percussion lib to augment the standard stuff that is in those?

I was pretty impressed by the list of percussion instruments listed for the VSL Cube Extended ($700). It has like everything...all the wierd little trees and bells and things that are really interesting for film scoring work. I guess TrueStrike probably has some impressive big hit sounding stuff. Right now I think I'm mostly interesting in a COMPLETELY lib, more so than something that is just the best Timpani ever in 15GB. I would probably add something like Percussive Adventures or something to get some big hollywood hit sounds if I need them.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Battery 3 has an orchestral kit and timpani kit as well as a film score kit

>>These are all highly rated. I'm glad you love them. What specific things do you think are missing or lacking in each of them? >>

Well, I think it also depends on the taste. TrueStrike is a great library - but personally I do not work with reverbed samples - so about 10GB of the 15 GB of TrueStrike might be pretty 'uninteresting' for me. EWQL is even worse.
    That is also the reason why I never use the Churchtown project samples - great samples, free - but ........

It is a shame that VSL is also going partly in that direction - a few years ago they wrote about all the advantages of dry samples and then with the Percussion VI they try to do cross marketing and add reverbed samples - and of course now want to sell it as a feature. But I think Percussion VI together with Elements VI is a great combination - though not really 'à bon marché'.

just my 3 €-cents

best

Quote Originally Posted by steff3
    >>These are all highly rated. I'm glad you love them. What specific things do you think are missing or lacking in each of them? >>

Well, I think it also depends on the taste. TrueStrike is a great library - but personally I do not work with reverbed samples - so about 10GB of the 15 GB of TrueStrike might be pretty 'uninteresting' for me. EWQL is even worse.
    That is also the reason why I never use the Churchtown project samples - great samples, free - but ........

It is a shame that VSL is also going partly in that direction - a few years ago they wrote about all the advantages of dry samples and then with the Percussion VI they try to do cross marketing and add reverbed samples - and of course now want to sell it as a feature. But I think Percussion VI together with Elements VI is a great combination - though not really 'à bon marché'.

just my 3 €-cents

best
    Where can i get those the Churchtown project samples?

Thanks!

Truestrike has different mic positions. So you can use the close mics for very little reverb and then add your own.

Jim

Go Back to forum