• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Topic: How realistic does this sound?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    How realistic does this sound?

    Just a quick test to see how realistic I could make an electric bass sound:

    http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/basstone.mp3

    What do you think? Comments/criticism much appreciated!

  2. #2

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    I like it! I just spent the last two days listening to bass demos from all over- Trilogy and a bunch of others- this sounds as good as Trilogy and better then most.

    How did you make it? How can I get it?
    Mike

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. John's NL
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    That's Cool!!!

    -Belbin

  4. #4

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    sound good.. what is it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    389

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Nice job!

    One thing did jump out at me on the initial listen, and that was the "X-notes", or "taps" on beat 2, on the first section, sound like the same sample each time. If you have more than that one, I'd mix it up. That's the kind of sound that won't be identical in the middle of a performance.

    Yes, I know... that's really picky... but you did ask for criticisms! The fact that those taps are one of the the only things I noticed is testimony to how good a job you've done, IMO.

    I also wondered about one other thing. The slapped funk motif, (after the harmonics section), had me twisting my head a bit... upon second and third listen, it didn't bother me as much, but I'll mention this just in case you want to look a bit closer at it...

    The hammer on/off licks on beats 4-e-&-a of that motif... they're pretty consistent. I might suggest lowering the velocity of any note that would be a pull off... like the & of 4. Those types of notes typically are a bit softer, due to how they are attacked.

    Honestly, this is really well done. I only mention these two things, because they caught my ear. Not as a listener, mind you, but as a guitarist who plays some bass, and has recorded my own bass, as well as many Nashville session guys, so I'm intimately familiar with some of that kind of detail, when the bass is isolated (guess I need to get a life!).

  6. #6

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    One thing did jump out at me on the initial listen, and that was the "X-notes", or "taps" on beat 2, on the first section, sound like the same sample each time. If you have more than that one, I'd mix it up. That's the kind of sound that won't be identical in the middle of a performance.
    Yeah, that was one concern I had, too. I tried to vary it a little bit, but apparently not enough. Maybe if I also make it accidentally exite some very quiet harmonics also, or something else that would quietly ring out...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    Yes, I know... that's really picky... but you did ask for criticisms! The fact that those taps are one of the the only things I noticed is testimony to how good a job you've done, IMO.

    I also wondered about one other thing. The slapped funk motif, (after the harmonics section), had me twisting my head a bit... upon second and third listen, it didn't bother me as much, but I'll mention this just in case you want to look a bit closer at it...
    Yeah listening back to it today, some of the hammer-on stuff needs to be turned down. Just smoothed out in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    The hammer on/off licks on beats 4-e-&-a of that motif... they're pretty consistent. I might suggest lowering the velocity of any note that would be a pull off... like the & of 4. Those types of notes typically are a bit softer, due to how they are attacked.

    Honestly, this is really well done. I only mention these two things, because they caught my ear. Not as a listener, mind you, but as a guitarist who plays some bass, and has recorded my own bass, as well as many Nashville session guys, so I'm intimately familiar with some of that kind of detail, when the bass is isolated (guess I need to get a life!).
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!!

  7. #7

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Gregjazz,
    This sounds great, but I too heard the same thing as Jaimo.

    Isolated as this is, that was a dead giveaway to me that samples were used for the clicks on beat two as Jaimo mentioned.

    Had I heard this on a professionally produced CD, and not posted on a sample forum as this, I would still suspect samples because of this. Apart from those repeated samples, I would have no reason to even think it was samples...
    great job!

    Dan

  8. #8

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Greg,

    This sounds awesmoe!

    apart from the taping, which was rather obvious, even to me (a pianist), everything else sounds amazing and is great! When the mix kicks in, I had no trouble with the bass at all! The funk stuff was also very cool!

    Well done on this! Well done!

    I think I know what bass this is! But I wouldn't want to speak names without knowing for sure. Suffice to say that you create sample libraries yourself! If this, indeed, is the case, then I'm more amazed than ever!

  9. #9

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Hey Greg, just listened to Self Destruct in Ten Seconds... that's a pretty sweet song. Nice airy feel and a tight groove...

    Your bass dmeo sounds good... I can't help but think that the fingered portion sounds a little muted on the lower strings. Maybe that's just the style you intended...

  10. #10

    Re: How realistic does this sound?

    Only thing that really stands out is the VOLUME of the false harmonics. Never ever ever have I heard or played false harmonics at such a perfect volume. Other than that, youre golden.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •