• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Inspiration

Share/Bookmark

Inspiration

One evening I had the urge to sit down at the piano. I just moved my fingers aimlessly over the keys for some time, then something emerged and streamed and I wrote it all in one go.
    It was very short but I left it as I received it while inspired. I changed though the piano score to strings as I found those to better express what I felt.
    This is my first composition with GPO and I'm still learning the functions of HA, so I can I hear some places which are not perfect yet. But it seems that perfection has no end... so here it is, as it is...

Inspiration

Yudit

Re: Inspiration

Good morning, Sunbird

I enjoyed hearing about how this piece came to you. It certainly has an appropriate name, and it's quite pretty.

I like the way the the rhythm wraps around the melody in a dancing way, as if the music is the accompaniment to a brief and gentle spin around the dance floor when the band has settled into a mellow mood.

Your first spin with GPO!--I remember in your previous post that you talked about the library having been ordered. Aren't the strings nice to work with!

Maybe I'm not awake enough--I can't think what you are referring to when you say, "...I'm still learning the functions of HA..."---What is HA?

But I can point out a crucial feature of GPO which you haven't used here--The use of cc64, generated by the sustain pedal, to engage Legato mode. Take a look at page 8 of the GPO manual for a good introductory explanation of how this is used.

Without the Legato mode engaged, the full attack of the instrumental sounds are triggered over and over with each note, resulting in a choppy sound which isn't natural. Either play a pedal in real time to your MIDI file for this piece, or hand insert cc64 in an editor window, and your string orchestra will emerge sounding more smooth and realistic.--Look through the manual for more detail.

One other thing that I'll pass on--As a newcomer you haven't noticed at the very top of this Listening Room Forum, there are some guidelines we're all trying to follow to make this popular Garritan Forum more equitably shared--Here's the link to that:

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53598

There's more information there, but the main point of that pos is that we're trying to avoid posting new music links when we already have a post on the Forum's front page.

Thanks for being here and sharing your music!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I like the way the the rhythm wraps around the melody in a dancing way, as if the music is the accompaniment to a brief and gentle spin around the dance floor when the band has settled into a mellow mood.

Morning Randy, I liked your description of my miniature piece. Most times when I compose and playback I do dancing moves to get better the feel of the rhythm and the flow of the melody. I think that music and movement are inseparable.

What is HA?

My notation program Harmony Assistant (HA).

But I can point out a crucial feature of GPO which you haven't used here--The use of cc64, generated by the sustain pedal, to engage Legato mode.

I definitely agree about this. I want more legato, but until now I haven't discovered yet how to make this cc64 work. Do you mean the one that is located in the KP under the instrument window? I clicked on that one but nothing is changing?! What do you mean by 'hand insert in an editor window'? I have looked through the manual but I still can't find how to do this obviously simple thing... lol
    What I did so far was to change in the notation the pressure time of the notes to achieve as much legato as I could. I guess there's a simpler way to do it with GPO... just tell me how...

One other thing that I'll pass on--As a newcomer you haven't noticed at the very top of this Listening Room Forum, there are some guidelines...

Real sorry about that. I completely agree that such a thing isn't fair and I'll certainly not repeat my mistake. Thanks for letting me know about this.

sunbird

Hello again, Sunbird

That's right, of course--You mentioned before that you use a program called Harmony Assistant. I have trouble with deciphering acronyms sometimes, especially when what they stand for are new things to me.

OK--I'm glad you explained something about your struggles trying to get the Garritan Legato function to work for you.

I don't know what the features and limitations of Harmony Assistant are, so just see if you can translate what I say here to the tools available in your software:

A standard MIDI keyboard's sustain pedal generates cc64--continuous MIDI controller #64. In the standard MIDI protocol, this is for sustaining tones, primarily for use with pianos.

But in the Garritan libraries, this cc64 has been re-routed to engage the unique Legato feature programmed into the instruments.

In a passage which is to be Legato, the pedal is engaged After the first note of the passage, and then disengaged at the end of the passage. In the special GPO programming, what this does is cut off the first part of the notes After the first one. It's the first split second of a sound which makes it characteristic to that particular instrument. A Flute will have a "chiff" sound, for instance, a Violin sound will have the bow scrape. But in real life when these instruments are played, that intial "attack" portion of a sound isn't aggressively sounded with each successive note in a Legato passage.

So, using cc64 in GPO, the only way to get a natural, smoothly rolling Legato is to engage this feature which melds the notes together much as they do in a live performance.

Again I refer to the manual--You Do have the manual I hope?--pages 8 and 9 talk about this, with a diagram on p. 9 which graphically shows how this works.

If you don't have a keyboard with a sustain pedal, then hopefully your software has a MIDI editor in it where the data can be inserted by hand. All standard sequencer programs like Sonar, Cubase etc, have Piano Roll Views where the notes are displayed like a Piano roll and underneath that window is another window where any MIDI data you wish can be displayed.

In that controller window, or pane, you choose sustain, cc64 from the menu, and insert On and Off events--On is the full value of 127. Off is zero.

If your Harmony Assistant doesn't have something of this sort--a MIDI editor, then it's too large a handicap to live with. To make the most out of GPO or any MIDI instruments, you have to be able to access as much data as possible to make the most out of your music.

Hopefully this will help, and that you'll find where to do this Legato editing I'm talking about.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Last edited by rbowser-; 06-02-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: left in unused cut and paste

Welcome to the Listening Room, Sunbird!

Off to a great start on this -- some very fine improvisational
    work.

Randy covered a number of points concerning improving the
    rendering quite well, so I will not recover them.

And you're right -- perfection, no matter how good you get
    at this... is still always a few steps away... lol!

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Welcome to the Listening Room, Sunbird!

Off to a great start on this -- some very fine improvisational
    work.

Randy covered a number of points concerning improving the
    rendering quite well, so I will not recover them.

And you're right -- perfection, no matter how good you get
    at this... is still always a few steps away... lol!

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hello David, pleased to hear your words, thanks.
    You bet I'll keep it coming...

sunbird

Hello Sunbird - I can definitely hear a lot of potential here. Follow the advice of Randy and keep at it, (composing and learning to express yourself with music and GPO) You will not regret it. Oh, and add some reverb as well. Strings and reverb are almost inseperable.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Hello Sunbird - I can definitely hear a lot of potential here. Follow the advice of Randy and keep at it, (composing and learning to express yourself with music and GPO) You will not regret it. Oh, and add some reverb as well. Strings and reverb are almost inseperable.

Del
    Thank you Del for listening and for your appreciation. I'm still at the stage of learning and applying all the terminology and effects editing that go with composing with a notation program and GPO. I hope that my next piece will show progress.

sunbird

I agree with all the comments so far. The piece is charming and does suit the strings quite well. The piece has 19th century Idyllic quality to it. Keep up the work on writing music, this piece certainly shows promise.

Now that the inspiration part is done, go for the persperation and develop it into a full length work.

Great start!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

[quote=rbowser-]Hello again, Sunbird

If your Harmony Assistant doesn't have something of this sort--a MIDI editor, then it's too large a handicap to live with. To make the most out of GPO or any MIDI instruments, you have to be able to access as much data as possible to make the most out of your music.

So far I have searched everywhere in Harmony Assistant and didn't find a MIDI editor. The only thing there, is Specific a, b, etc., curves that can be edited for each instrument and where midi data can be inserted 'by hand' as you said. Is that where I should enter the midi data according to GPO KP?
    Here is a link to how that window looks like:

http://www.box.net/shared/5eijdta4q0

Hope I am clear enough...

sunbird

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast