• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: choir simulation

Share/Bookmark

choir simulation

hi y'all I'd like you to listen to this short thing I did last year. I was asked to produce a traditional gospel choir song. In the end I found that the easiest way of doing it was through a vocoder plugin using my voice as modulator and vocal sampled patches as carrier (or was it the other way round?). Though not perfect, I still find it a good approximation. Knowing that Gary will come up with a choir library, I would suggest that he will take into consideration an inbuilt vocoder to allow the choir samples to be driven directly from an audio input, more or less as I did...

http://www.robertosoggetti.com/Mary.mp3

Re: choir simulation

Hi Roberto,

Well I pressed play listened once and of course went back in again and downloaded it so I could listen any time I want.
    Magnificent work as usual.
    I'll have to think about your technique. Although I know how to set the vocoder up I never really thought of a good reason to bother until now.

Cheers

Ray

good morning Ray, thank you. I'm listening to your Requiem-the mourners, magnificent! I don't find an appropriate smiley though!

Roberto,
    I'd be very interested in learning this technique with the vocoder plug in and choir samples. I have several choir sample libraries but have no idea how to do what it is you are doing. Please explain when you get a chance. I am somewhat amazed at how well this works. Thanks for sharing.

Eric

Magnificent. Proofs that human interface can beat electronics, though, with a bit of help. You should sell this technique to Gary..... finally another Italian singer, but now packed in samples ... hahahaha!!!

Raymond

This is great. I thought vocoder is for the music like Herbie Hancock. This choir is very real. Great idea.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Rob,

That's a great sound! Are those sampled voices?! If they are then it's amazing! Tell us how you did that, please? Per favore!

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

EricWatkins
    Roberto,
    I'd be very interested in learning this technique with the vocoder plug in and choir samples. I have several choir sample libraries but have no idea how to do what it is you are doing. Please explain when you get a chance. I am somewhat amazed at how well this works. Thanks for sharing.

Eric
    hi Eric, no problem explaining... I hope I've got enough english to get myself understood...

You need a host like Bidule, Audiomulch, EnergyXT, Maize Studio, Console etc that will let you do audio connections.
    Open your favourite sampler and load a choir patch
    Load a vst vocoder plugin which has a very high resolution (in reality I'm using the demo version of a little different plugin, may tell you privately if you are curious)
    Connect your audio live input (but you may also use a prerecorded track) to one of the vocoder inputs and the left (or right) output of the sampler to the other vocoder input. You need do experiment in order to get the right input, one being the carrier and the other the modulator.
    Connect the vocoder output to audio card out
    Now while singing in your microphone play the sampled choir on your midi keyboard, best results are obtained recording different takes, some with single voices and mixing them to the choir ones.
    This setting produces mono output, if you need stereo you should use two instances of the vocoder, each one dedicated to a different stereo channel.
    Hope this helps...

Raymond, thanks; my voice really is ugly, high pitched and a bit uncertain, I'm glad there are ways to get around this...

Jun, thank you, I may be one of the first to have tried this, I kind of love laboratory work

Larry, my friend, thank you... in the post above I tried to explain my technique, ciao

Very cool! You definitely produced that gospel choir sound!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast